Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geokid_gw

Vintage oak barrel table and chairs

geokid
11 years ago

Me again.

I have the opportunity to pick this set up for practically free ($25). I know it's very taste soecific, but it's just so crazy it's cool. :) It needs to be reupholstered but otherwise it's in great shape. Solid oak and hea-vy!

We are making a bar area on our basement and are looking for a table and chairs set for playing cards and just hanging out.

Is this worth the hassle of reupholstering? What should I use for fabric?

Comments (28)

• greenthumbfish
    11 years ago

Like this maybe - or darker brown, like bomber jacket color. And I'd even paint the legs black. Brixwax on the wood. That might do it, can't tell. But I like the nailheads in the pic too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barrel Chairs

• Fori
    11 years ago

That's great! Totally worth reupholstering if it passes the sniff test! You almost have to do leather or fake leather. I'd keep it dark if not black because they're just supposed to be dark.

Can you put stuff in the table?

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

I love it! Yes, totally worth reupholstering if you are doing it yourself.

This would be mixing styles, but I think I'd like to see it in a cow hide kind of print (like those cow hide rugs that still have the fur on them). I'd go for faux because I bet real hides are hugely expensive, but it would be a neat look for them.

Dark brown or black pleather is probably the safest bet, though. Do you have a wagon wheel chandelier to go with? You need one now :). That is going to be a fun room!

• geokid
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Haha! No wagon wheel chandelier. But I do have a vintage Castiglioni Arco Lamp that could go in the room. I just have to clean it up.

Sniff test is a-ok. It's been used heavily, but nothing reupholstering and a little cleaning won't fix. Thanks for the tip on brixwax, greenthumbfish. And I was already thinking of painting the legs black. Glad to know its not such a crazy idea.

Fori, the tabletop comes off and the barrel is hollow, but it doesn't swing open like some others I've seen.

Engineerchic, I like the idea of cowhide. My husband even likes it. :)

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I actually kind of love that set, especially for the space you are talking about. You are right that it's so crazy it's cool.

• Fori
    11 years ago

Furry cowhides would be awesome. You can get 'em for about 200 bucks apiece at Ikea, but I don't know if they'd be big enough. But with all the money saved on the set, what's an extra $800 or so on cowhide? =P

I don't think you can go wrong with that set as long as you don't try to make it respectable.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I don't think you can go wrong with that set as long as you don't try to make it respectable.

lol

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

Or try to put chintz on it, LOL!

We could almost have a contest of what would be the worst fabric to use on these. I say that 100% tongue in cheek, because I am totally jealous and wishing I had a set like this and a place to put them.

• oceanna
    11 years ago

They'd be just perfect for your game room!

Greenthumbfish's link shows a very attractive redo. I snooped around and this is the only example I found of someone doing them in a color:

• greenthumbfish
    11 years ago

lol

Ha! No really, lets try that! Paint the set in weathered gray and chalky white and reupholster in white/blue/brown paisley and piping. NOT!

• geokid
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm so glad I found kindred spirits!

I don't think you can go wrong with that set as long as you don't try to make it respectable. Love it! :)

I was thinking sage green with a birdhouse fabric.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

I bought a yard of GREAT faux cowhide just last week from the link below. It's by far the most realistic I have ever seen.

I don't know what I'm using it on yet, but I was thrilled at its heavy weight and backing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cocoon Brown Coffee fabric

• geokid
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here they are reupholstered! DH wouldn't go for anything funky so they are standard brown leather. But I love them and can't wait to finish our bar area!

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by geokid on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 23:10

• Vertise
    11 years ago

wow did they clean up nicely! They look very comfy!

• awm03
    11 years ago

geokid, those came out great! What fun!

I saw this set in a Goodwill 16 years ago: bright orange plastic upholstery -- so bad it was good. I thought it could be fun for the boys' play room in the basement but decided not to buy. Now that the boys are grown & like to come over with friends occasionally for board games & beer, I wish I'd bought that set for them to use.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

wow, they look ... classy, and i wouldnt have thought that was possible (I love them this way or as super kitschy). The brown leather was a good choice, it continues that warm and cozy vibe that the barrel shape give you. i like it better than the black.

well done!

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Coolest! Don't you just love giving things a new life?

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

LOVE!!

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Well, WOW.

I want to come to your house and drink a pale ale, seated at that table. It's perfect!

• annzgw
    11 years ago

Great choice on the color of leather! Goes so well with the metal bands.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Now all you need is a bunch of initials carved into the table top!

• User
    11 years ago

WOW..those turned out great !! I too am amazed at how classy they now look. Great eye you have. Bet the rest will be just as fine. Look forward to seeing it all completed . c

• bethohio3
    11 years ago

Those are great--what a fantastic game room setup!

• chucksmom
    11 years ago

You really need to go to retrorenovation.com and post. Pam and her followers over there will just LOVE it. Great job.

• geokid
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the kind words! They really are the perfect set for our set-up. I still need to clean them up just a little but then they will be good to go. I'll post more pics of the bar area as it gets finished. We are installing cabinets (ourselves) this week and then on to countertops and flooring and plumbing, etc..... Thinking wood counters and cork flooring. Still have to research how cork would stand up to those heavy chairs. Lol.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Wow, they look fabulous, and I agree to send it to RetroRenovation.

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

Wow! Love 'em