Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

Need help choosing a light.

Holly- Kay
9 years ago

I put this in another thread with a stupid title of needing help with a lighting problem and got only one response, The problem isn't a lighting problem but a "What in the heck would look good in my bedroom" problem. I am copying the text from the other post here.

I have looked endlessly over the last three days for lighting to replace the horribly ugly ceiling fan light that is in the master bedroom. The fan basically is centered between the two footboard posts.
I have been looking at semi flush and mini chandeliers because our ceilings are only 8'. I have enough clowns in the room so even though I would love having a crystal chandy I think I need something that is elegant but understated.

I am just at a lost on what to do. The crystal pendants that I have in my kitchen have a semi flush version or I could use a pendant but shorten the chain. I would use the gold finish rather than the heirloom bronze that I used in the kitchen. I am just wondering if it would be weird to have the same series in two totally different settings.

Also I am concerned that even though, imo they are understated for crystal, that I would be adding another clown.

Please tell me what you think and also please make suggestions to what you think would look good in the room. My taste runs very traditional.

Here is a link that might be useful: maybe this?

Comments (15)

• Olychick
    9 years ago

could you give us a pic of your bedroom?

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here you go Olygirl, it's not a good picture but you can see a touch of the dreaded fan on it . Basically the fan is at the bottom of the bed and centered between the two posts. It's from my iPad so I hope it is right side up!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Oh, of course, now I remember, but I think it will help you get more opinions to have it posted here.

It's really hard with these things because they are so taste specific. The one you linked isn't one I would choose, but I think it's mostly because it looks too small and the wrong shape for a center of the bedroom ceiling light. It's only 10.5" and that seems more suited to a hallway to me. But maybe that's wrong.

Because you have some bling in your mirrors and bedside lamps, I might choose a quieter, plainer ceiling light, maybe semi flush, so the bed continues to be the star in the room.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oly, I agree that plainer would be better. I also think a hallway would be a better place for that particular light. I don't like overhead lights but need something. The fan doesn't work anyway.

I am just going nut trying to find something that I like. You all have such great taste that I was hoping for suggestions.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Edited to remove double post

This post was edited by holly-kay on Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 23:52

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Would something like this work?

Here is a link that might be useful: This

• eibren
    9 years ago

You might miss having a ceiling fan--why not just a small, simple white one?

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Eibren the fan hasn't worked in years and I just bought a whole room circulating fan because I am always hot. I definitely would go all white if I replaced the current one for another fan. I may go that route if I can't find a light.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Holly-Kay, if you really like your kitchen lamps, why not use them again, IF that is what you really like?

The lamps you picked are pretty. I am not sure about what size you need. Here are a few I found, but I think some may not be big enough-- not sure:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/201773559/vintage-chandelier-flush-mount-antique?ref=related-0

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/crystal-10-inch-wide-flushmount-ceiling-fixture__92093.html

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/newport-15-inch-wide-aged-brass-ceiling-light__f3388.html

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh, I like that second one Anele found.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Maybe something like this that is a little more contemporary, yet still harkens to the traditional and it's only 15" high so it might work with your ceiling, esp given the location...

Or if you don't mind washing crystals...

I don't think you have too many "clowns" in your room at all and a dressy light would work perfectly.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

What is a "clown"? I thought that was a typo until I saw the second reference, and now Annie's.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

A clown is an attention getter.... a fancy, standout, in your face, piece in a room. One, or a few, standout is fine, but too many and it looks like a circus. It can be anything...a printed fabric, a piece of art, an accent wall color, a heavily embellished piece of furniture, fancy wallpaper...

EG, this room has a single clown (not the kitty)

[Contemporary Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2103) by New York Architects & Building Designers Zakrzewski + Hyde Architects

This room has many

[Traditional Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by Other Metro Photographers Elad Gonen

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 9:42

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You all are great! Wonderful suggestions and I like all of them.

Tib, the clown reference started, I believe, in the kitchen forum. It basically meant too many things saying" look at me".

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Thanks for the explanations, Annie and Holly. Great term.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!