Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
opphop

Cost of linen french pleat drapes?

opphop
9 years ago

In our 125 year old renovation farmhouse, my decorator friend said the best drapery choice would be half-window, french pleat linen curtains with privacy lining. She knows her historic homes and she has an understated, refined style which I have truly appreciated. I'm not questioning the idea of these curtains as much as I am balking at the price and therefore seek your opinions.

The quote for our 14 windows is about $4,500. Is $320 per window (33" wide x 34" tall - just above the sash bar) about what y'all would expect to pay? The Restoration Hardware price is out of sight but here is their photo of the pleats

Comments (14)

• opphop
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And this is the closest image I can get to the idea, although most of our curtains will be in the upstairs bedrooms so the privacy lining will make ours less sheer:

• User
    9 years ago

Does that amount include installation? How much are the curtain rods, and who makes them?

• opphop
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That price is for the curtains only. No hardware or installation.

• partst
    9 years ago

Rejuvenation has the concealed mount café rods in several finishes. IâÂÂve had them in my kitchen for several years in polished nickel and they look just like the day they were installed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Café rods

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

What type of linen are they using? You can easily get into >$50/yd for the fabric alone.

• franksmom_2010
    9 years ago

I bet you could make those for about $30 a panel. 54" wide fabric, a yard and a half each, some pleater tape....

• User
    9 years ago

Lined, French pleat panels are not a do it yourself project for anyone other than a very experienced seamstress, especially with a solid fabric that will show every mistake. And because they are pleated, half panels are really as much work as full length ones. I think if you can do the treatments, all in--- curtains, rods, installation--- for $400 a window, you've paid about what it would cost in the Atlanta, which is my nearest big city.

• opphop
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kswl, thanks for pointing out that the work is in the pleats, not the extra fabric. The shop that my decorator works with uses their french pleat machines every day and she assures me they are experts at it.

I would use hardware like partst linked to at Rejuvenation at $45 per window. I need to check if the rings are sewn in the curtains or if I have to buy them.

• opphop
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kswl, thanks for pointing out that the work is in the pleats, not the extra fabric. The shop that my decorator works with uses their french pleat machines every day and she assures me they are experts at it.

I would use hardware like partst linked to at Rejuvenation at $45 per window. I need to check if the rings are sewn in the curtains or if I have to buy them.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Just as a rough estimate, if you go on Half Price Drapes, which makes a pretty good product for the money, each panel (and I'm assuming two panels per window) is about $230. Sizes weren't the same--they don't give the option for such a short curtain--but it seems to me you are getting a good price....

• shadylady2u
    9 years ago

You didn't answer whether this includes fabric or not. If not, it seems a bit high. Depends on location and other variables, tho. There is no 'one price fits all'.
    French pleats are nothing more than a fancy name for pinch pleats. I make mine totally by hand, so if they're using a machine to make them, they should actually be cheaper. Any pro curtainmaker is an expert at making pleats so just because they use a machine, does not make them any more an expert.
    Not sure what they mean by privacy liner. If they mean "blackout", that shouldn't make any huge difference in price.

• sunfeather
    9 years ago

If that includes hardware and installation it sounds like a good price. Mine are costing about the same price for half as many windows. They are hand made and the hardware is very good. My fabric is not 100% linen - went with a blend to avoid having wrinkles.

Do you really need blackout or just a nice lining?

• theclose
    9 years ago

I had euro pleat curtains made for my dining room. Full length. Not including any hardware or fabric but including install they were $325/window. I would say your price is fantastic if it includes fabric and reasonable if it does not.