Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Very different from glass house

Annie Deighnaugh
9 years ago

Took a hike and a house tour today at Topsmead, a house built in the 20s, inspired by Cotswald cottages. This place is cozy in the extreme. As much as I liked the glass house, I think I'd have no problem moving in here in a minute.

Hard to see in this pic, but that yellow thing next to the chair is a dahlia the size of a dinner plate!

Normally I'm not a fan of oak woodwork because of what they did in the past with the light/honey oak, but here it was a lovely warm color and looked fabulous.

In addition to the warmth, the place provides lots of nooks and vignettes, inside and out...

With wonderful views out of every window.

The fact that it's set on over 500 acres at the top of a hill doesn't hurt...with a mix of meadows, orchards, pine forests, ponds, etc. Just wonderful.

Comments (9)

• awm03
    9 years ago

Beautiful house. Excellent pictures too -- nice job, AnnieD.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Is it just me, my mood, whatever, or does it seem like the house is frowning? I love the setting, but the interior seemed cluttered and claustrophobic.

Btw, I so envy your tour of the Glass House! I've always loved it and never have seen it.

• voila
    9 years ago

Be still my heart, which room do you want? Is it for sale? I have my checkbook out, to include with your checkbook and anyone else we can entice, I presume. Maybe we could build some little cottages to sell to GWebbers to help us pay the taxes.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I like it a lot.

I love modernism as a discipline, but I couldn't live in Farnsworth (although that was a weekend house) and I couldn't live in either of Johnson's houses, one is too exposed, one is too enclosed.

There would be no particular discipline required to live in a house such as this: it seems to be a very forgiving house.

• voila
    9 years ago

So, Pal do you want a share or a cottage?

• peony4
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing this, Annie. I lived and worked in England in the early 1990s, and my local pub had the atmosphere of the LR here--wood beams, a well-used fireplace, a mix of sofas and tables/chairs, lovely oil paintings, lamp lighting... It was everything "homey." I wasn't prepared for how short the daylight hours were in the winter months, which was rather depressing for me initially. But the pub was, literally, a living room for the neighborhood. The English wrote the book on cozy, for sure.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now that I see my pics, I realize there was a lot I didn't capture like the allee of mature trees, and my little camera isn't up to the views.

Please forgive the darkness and bluriness of the shots as no flash was allowed and the rooms are dark despite the windows, as the windows are deep set in the thick walls...making every window look like a bay window.

I also missed ceiling in the library...don't know what you call it, but it was a cathedral with a flat ceiling rather than a peak and what they call Queen's beams hanging down, so you had a feeling of more spaciousness without vacancy. The living room/library pictured in the first shots above really does a nice job of combining functions in one room....the 1500 books lining the walls, the table in front of the fireplace. The nook with the lowered ceiling into which a super soft couch was placed. In one corner, she had a comfy leather chair and a speaker built in behind a door which would open so she could listen to the radio, which was in the room next door...early form of "whole house audio".

This was the fireplace in the foyer...

And the dining room was large enough, though the guide said it was never set for more than 3...the extra chairs were used to entertain outside on the veranda. The floors were mostly terra cotta tile which she had stained to turn the dark rich color that they were and the sealed them so they stayed that color instead of the typical bright orange...you can see the flooring in the DR below and in the foyer above.

Upstairs the bedrooms each had their own bath, but were very spare...just the basic necessities of a horsehair bed, a small closet and a simple chair to change your shoes.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Wow! I think that house was made for me. I love it!

I don't mind a bathroom that is purely functional. I don't hang out in there so no problem.

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I really like it too.

Is it still possible to buy windows that open with hardware like that? This is what I think of when I dream of windows in my tiny cottage of the imagination in the orchard. Especially in the breakfast room.