Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sergeantcuff

Help needed to paint old furniture on my old-house front porch

sergeantcuff
13 years ago

Hello. I have some projects I've been putting off forever, and was hoping to get some guidance on the forum.

I have recently acquired an old wicker set that needs painting. I like the color that it is now, but it doesn't look right as it is too close to the color of my house. I am unsure if I want white though. I also need to find new fabric. I sorta like the color that's on there now. My taste is rather great-grannyish but it might be good to break away from that a little. I'd like to keep all other colors on the porch as is, I just want to paint the furniture (Even the ugly air-conditioner has to stay (which isn't turned on too often.)

We practically live on this porch 6 months of the year, usually eating dinner here:

This old table and chairs need painting too. The table top is enamel, so I'll just be painting the chairs and the table legs.

I have better pictures of the house, but this rather strange one is the best I can find at the moment; it gives the idea. I know the screening is ugly (and it needs to be tightened), but my yard is densely planted and very buggy!

{{gwi:322618}}

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Maureen

Comments (27)

• xantippe
    13 years ago

I can really see black wicker with cushions in a print that pulls together the red and creamy-yellow of the house. I think that would really pop--and look super elegant, besides!

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

What do you think of painting it the same Robin nest egg blue like your ceiling.

My cousin has pieces painted this color and it looks fabulous, picture below.

{{!gwi}}

• bepeace
    13 years ago

I agree with xantippe - painting the wicker black would look so sharp. Here's an outdoor fabric I saw on eBay that's a little 'grannyish' but would look great with black wicker, your blue ceiling and the rest of your charming porch.

{{!gwi}}">

I would check eBay or your favorite fabric source for low cost outdoor fabrics. Have fun!

• cyn10
    13 years ago

You could paint the set dark brown, which is the color of a lot of old wicker, and I think it would look nice with the color of your house. You could bring in some color by using a vintage bark cloth fabric from the 1940's. I believe it was popular on wicker sets and holds up really well.

• loribee
    13 years ago

How pretty!
    I spray painted my white wicker choc brown one time.
    Not to be negative but it's sooo much work.
    I'd try pretty cushions first - maybe you can keep it the original color~

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! I've got some great ideas to think about. I'm glad I asked before I just painted it white or cream. I think the set was dark brown before (or that was its natural color?) The set really needs painting, especially the metal braces - it all looks better in the photos.

I wonder how old this set is (tables excepted). The seats have springs inside, like old car seats, with burlap wrapped around:

What color would you suggest for the dining chairs and table legs? Maybe that's where I could use the robin's egg as Newdawn showed?

Thanks again

Maureen

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Maureen, people would kill to have that sofa. I had no idea that is was that old. You would pay a pretty penny for such an old sofa, although I couldn't tell you how old it is, but it's old. I wouldn't slap black or brown or blue paint on it. I would have the cushions recovered in a antique reproduction 1930's type fabric. I love your porch and I can see why you and your DH spends so much time on it.

I'm not a paint expert as many people on here are. But that table and chairs would look lovely painted robin's egg blue. Is the top of the table enamel? I don't know about painting enamel.

The picture I showed you of my cousin's porch is her back porch. She has an antique wicker sofa (painted white) and also a antique swing (painted white) with robin nest's blue painted furniture, but she kept all the antique wicker painted white with great cushions.
    Here is the other side of her porch showing her swing.

{{!gwi}}

Below is another cousins back porch, I like her porch the best. I didn't realize her wicker sofa was natural but check out the great cushions and pillows. She had the floor painted robin's nest blue in a distressed style.

{{!gwi}}

• lindac
    13 years ago

that wonderful old wicker needs to be white...or very close to white...
    The screened porch is lovely! It adds a room to your house...I wish I had it.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Linda C. this one is going to be at auction tomorrow, but in no way is it the quality of Maureens.

{{!gwi}}

• rushmom3
    13 years ago

Believe me, the air conditioner is the last thing I noticed on that porch. What an amazing space. I would love to hang out there. I agree with everyone else on the dark color for the furniture. Please post pics when you are done!!

• lindac
    13 years ago

that wonderful old wicker needs to be white...or very close to white...
    The screened porch is lovely! It adds a room to your house...I wish I had it.

• natal
    13 years ago

I'd paint it white.

We love our porch too, but only get to enjoy it in the spring and fall. Summer is way too brutal ... even with two ceiling fans.

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for all the kind words about my porch!! I am lucky that it stays relatively cool, as it faces north.

I am torn between painting the wicker dark brown, which would make the space more stylish, and painting it off-white, which would be more appropriate for the wicker itself??

I am thinking about keeping the table legs white. I might paint the spindles on the chair sky-blue and leave the rest white. Would that be cool or just weird?

Newdawn - your cousins' have some great porches. I have a tiny back porch but it is enclosed with plywood and is very, very ugly.

• cyn10
    13 years ago

Originally I suggested dark brown. But now I see you have a lot of white trim on the porch, and the white table looks good, so I think white might be nice. Also, it may be easier to paint white on top of the current color.

We have a similar set, which I think dates from the 1930's. It started out as brown, I painted it white in the '70s, and repainted it dark green a few years ago. Painting the green over the white took a couple of coats. We borrowed a paint sprayer to do it, which made the job a lot easier.

I like your idea of painting part of the chairs light blue to go with the table.

• User
    13 years ago

Maureen, you have a beautiful porch. I love screened in porches. We did ours front porch a few years ago and it was one of the best choices we ever made.
    My first thought was to go dark brown, but in trying it virtually it just didn't look right with your shutters. Then I read Jane's idea of painting them to match your ceiling and tried it. I loved it....

I did a bit of painting on your chairs, but I think I'd leave the table as is color-wise.

Jane your cousins have beautiful porches too.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Wow there's some helpful people on here, justgottobeme I would love to have photoshop is that expensive?

Thanks on the wonderful compliments on my family's porches. I am going to lunch there today.

I wish I had wicker rather than willow, but I paid too much for it and probably couldn't get the money back.

Here is my porch and I know ya'll are sick of looking at it.

.....Jane

{{gwi:1507258}}

• natal
    13 years ago

Jane, what a refreshing picture! How I wish it was fall!!!

Btw, is the hanging pumpkin a solar lantern?

• User
    13 years ago

Thank you Jane. You have a lovely porch too. I love your willow furniture. You are lucky to have trees to shade it. Ours gets morning sun and can get quite warm very early one. One of these days we want to close in our sleeping porch off the master bedroom with storm type windows all around to make it more of a three season porch. We've not used it in years. Used to go out there in the evenings.

I used Windows Paint to the above virtuals. I have an original version of PhotoShop that came with one of those pens (by Bamboo) that a friend gave to me since they already had PhotoShop. I think they run around a hundred dollars or so. I've not looked at them for a couple years now. Both Adobe and Corel have free online trials of their photo editors. I've tried them both and liked different things about each one so I never made up my mind which to buy. Now that I have the Adobe from my friend I should ask for the Corel for Christmas from my hubby.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Thanks justgottobeme I would love to have photo shop, your so helpful to so many people on here.

Natal, thanks for the compliment. That is just a plain paper lantern. It's so hot here too but I am not anxious for Fall, the heating bills in this joint are enormous.

• User
    13 years ago

Here's the links for you if you want to try them free Jane.
    Adobe Photoshop Extended CS5
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 8.0
    Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Thank you justgottobeme, how thoughtful.

• User
    13 years ago

No problem Jane. They are fun to play with so make sure you have a bit extra time before you load the free trial. Once your thirty days are up it's gone.

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Justgotabme - Thank you for the photoshop pics and links. I really have to try it when I have some more time. I still am unsure about the paint color. I think it may be best to find some great fabric and go from there.

Jane - you porch is really lovely. Looks cool and inviting. I don't think I could live without mature trees and lots of shade.

• User
    13 years ago

You are welcome Maureen. And yes, find the fabric first. Fabric is most often my inspiration.

• powermuffin
    13 years ago

I like the blue of your ceiling for the wicker, but you could also consider the color of your shutters. Painting the pieces white will not be much of a contrast with your house color and may even make it look dirty. But I always start with fabric and pick the colors from there. I would love to see the finished porch.
    Diane

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Thank you Maureen that one tree is way over two hundred years old. And if I cut it (which I wouldn't)they would take my historical sign away. I love wicker my house is not rustic in the least but I do have willow, oh well such is life in a small town.

• greatgollymolly
    13 years ago

I would paint the wicker and the front door black and use the beautiful robin egg blue fabric that was suggested. Lovely porch.