Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blakelr

3-piece Curtain Rod -- Making me crazy!

blakelr
13 years ago

Okay, I know I have my moments...but how can I not be able to figure this out?! Help, please!!

I recently purchased two curtain rods that each come with three rod pieces and can extend up to 120 inches. The middle piece is nearly the same as the larger of the other rod pieces--on one end it is open (but not wide enough that it will fit over the bigger of the other two pieces) and the other end has a place to screw in a finnial. I have no clue as to how to get that middle piece to fit!

I don't think there is any part missing because the two packages all come with the same equipment. The instructions tell me how to mount it on the wall but not how to put it together. They're the Jaclyn Smith Decorative Rod Set, in case that makes a difference. I have looked online and I can't find any hints about how to do this. Please let me know if I can make the question any clearer, because I'm not sure if I explained it well.

Comments (57)

• Kristina Graham
    8 years ago

I'm feeling really dumb now, thank goodness i found this thread of how to get the rods together, now i can't figure out how to get the finial back on the end. The finial has a female end (the piece i screwed off the rod) & the end of the rod has nothing. What am i missing?

• Annemarie DeVille
    8 years ago

Thank you! I was also having the same issue and felt like an idiot!

• seb307
    8 years ago

Same problem here. I find comfort in knowing I wasn't the only person that couldn't figure this out. I'm exhausted. Thanks Annfire.

• Deborah Ann Smith
    8 years ago

Dear Annfire, thanks ever so much I took back several curtain rods (I needed one that extends to over 125") and was about to take back the one I purchased tonight before I looked online and happened upon this discussion and your brilliant answer! I now see if the instructions were complete no one would have this problem; hence major issues with things made in China. I too am totally exhausted! Again thanks dear and God bless you. Deborah Ann Smith.

• Verla Williams
    8 years ago

Well - I did figure out the part about removing the finials but when I did they are too small to fit into the larger rod. The finials just fall out. Thinking Gorilla glue

• melortiz71
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Holy sneakers!! Thank you! It just took me and my bf 2 days to put together a dumb ass dresser and I was thinking these rods were going to be easy breezy.....nope! Off to hang curtains correctly thanks to this thread. Thanks again!

• cassie7210
    8 years ago

Thanks! It worked perfectly!

• Trish Danovich Hanson
    8 years ago

Thank you! I am glad to see that i was not the only person who couldn't figure this out! Gotta love the internet for moments like this!

• Quiana Little
    8 years ago

Annfire. I love you. Thanks so much! I was so close to returning mine!!

• shannon_conrad62
    8 years ago

Ty guys SO much! Srsly, I thought I was gonna toss it out the window.

• patty Vinson
    8 years ago

The last time I neded an extra long rod I purchased closet dowling. Back then it was sold by the foot, but I think now it's sold in lengths of 4/6/8/10 and maybe 12' l engths. I bought wood finials and brackets, painted everything, and the install couldn't have been any easier. Using rings or clips for the drapes makes it easy for opening/closing. You can purchase the dowling in various circumstances, maybe 1 1/2" or 2" being the largest. HD, Lowe's and other big box stores should have it.

• laureenv
    7 years ago

I ran into this problem 10 years ago, and now, when it came time to hang curtains in a different house, I could remember that there was a trick to it, but I could not remember what to do. THANK YOU!

• kokiogwe2000
    7 years ago

Can anybody help?

I bought 48-86 udjustable rod but I only needed 48 rod .And I can't figure out how do I use one rod and add finials without the other(udjustable)rod

What do I donow.Tottally frustrated

• gastlady
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

kokiogwe2000 Let me know if you figure it out - I can't!!!

• shadylady2u
    7 years ago

You can't just use one of them. It wasn't meant to work that way. It should compact down to 48", but if it's too wide, you need to buy a smaller size or find a different brand that works for you.

• Tiffany Garfield
    7 years ago

Thank you . I've been racking my brain too

• godard_d
    7 years ago

Ann Fire - Thank you for your post. I purchased a set today. The box I got must have been a returned item because when I opened the box it had no instructions, no hardware and no brackets. So I went on line to see if the rods were defective because I could not assemble them. That being said I need to drive a total of 1 1/2 hour round trip to exchange the package because of the missing parts. I wish customer service would really ensure that all the parts are there before putting them back on the self.

• John Ruser
    7 years ago

Thank you annfire. I would never have thought of that!

• klstarr9003
    7 years ago

I actually called the manufacturer on this, but was googling while the representative looked up the answer. Thank you for the direction, I asked them to edit their directions to include this information.

• Chip Fields
    7 years ago

Oh wow, I almost had to ask my wife, and then lose man-points. Thanks for bailing me out!

• wdytya
    7 years ago

Thanks! Just used your advice with success.

• Carrie Smith Alexander
    7 years ago

i bought this one from walmart. Was feeling like an idiot cuz i couldnt figure it out either (Thank goodness for google. I don't see how I survived growing up without Google) to answer the last part about the female piece mine actually came with a extra piece to it looks a little like this
    that goes on tge end of the pretty end piece that makes it fit nice n snug. Thank goodness cuz i woulda been glueing pieces together as well lol

• aprilhamilton85
    6 years ago

Like paula8100 I thought the same thing - WHY OH WHY did they assemble it so we have to remove the finnial (decorative screw on end thingy) and move stuff around and confuse the check out of people? And I figured it out.

I bought the same curtain rod set in different lengths - one 36" - 66" set and one 66" - 120" set. The only difference between the sets was that the longer set had an extra larger rod. So, they assemble the packages as if they are the shorter length set and then add the extra rod to make it the longer length set. Hope that makes sense. It's still odd but I suppose it's efficient in the assembly process. It would be nice if they'd add a little note to the bottom of the instructions to tell us how to do this, though. Thank heaven for the internet!!!

• Charlene Dunne
    6 years ago

thank you, thank you, thankyou!

• Greta McCoy
    6 years ago

Oh my goodness, so thankful I found this question! I literally just returned one at Target thinking they put the wrong middle piece in the box and got another one with the same "issue". Why do they package it like that, and give no instructions!! figured it out this time around!!

• HU-181500538
    5 years ago

Just take off both of the tibial and there you go.

• HU-868430096
    5 years ago

After I do this There is nothing to screw the finial into - I only have 2 screws for 6 holes - 1 for a finial and 1 to connect the inner rod - how do you attach the finial on the other piece without a screw to attach it to

• HU-322163541
    5 years ago

Thank you Annfire!! I had the same problem with curtain rods and I didn’t want to wait till business hours tomorrow to fit the rods! Thank you for posting this help!

• Patricia Coughlin
    5 years ago

The filial isn't removable so I am screwed!

• willkatess
    5 years ago

I was just about to spend an hour failing, and I thought to look here. Horrendous customer service to not have just that tiny bit of information printed on the box. Thanks very much for posting the puzzle solution.

• HU-706636834
    4 years ago

Counter-intuitive yet brilliant! I agree that directions would help those of us who are not engineers!

• Super Scooby101
    4 years ago

Omg thank you. I was getting so frustrated cuz I couldn’t figure it out and the box says easy to install and fails to mention how to incorporate the middle rod.

• Sam Scola
    4 years ago

Thank you!!! We spent a half an hour trying to figure out why that extra rod would not fit into the longer ride. If I hadn’t googled it, I would probably still be standing in my living room cussing over this! If they would just include a simple instruction or just an extra step in their directions, this would have saved all of us so much time and frustration! Thank you all so much glad it worked out

• Yvonne Jones
    4 years ago

Thanks!!

• HU-813920093
    3 years ago

No where in this entire comment thread is the 2nd finial question answered.

When the smaller tube is inserted between the two larger tubes, one of the finial ‘screw-in-ends’ is buried, so we are stuck still trying to figure out how to screw the second finial to a blank tube-end.

Assistance on this would be helpful.

• HU-417770318
    3 years ago

I had something like this happen to me...then I flipped the second larger tube around and saw that in the other end of it had an insert to screw in the finial into.

• HU-427989681
    3 years ago

If you see 1 rod is thinner, an 2 rods are thicker. Take the thinner rod off, an make sure both larger rods are on the side an slide the thinner one in the middle. I took me about 30 min to figure it out but it did good luck

• Elizabeth Martinez
    3 years ago

We found that the insert piece for the finial that was in the end rod had actually stayed on the finial instead of remaining inside the rod when we unscrewed the final. Now it's loose and won't stay in so the finial is dangling. It looks like the only way to fix it is to take everything down again.

• AR BT
    3 years ago

Thank you so much. By taking out the middle rod and making that the outer rod it can be adjusted to make it smaller in width. Thank you again.

• Bd Rock
    3 years ago

I'm a 43 year old guy and I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown trying to figure this out LOL! Wish I had found this an hour ago lol

• HU-383289558
    3 years ago

I have the same problem with 2 different makes.The assembly line is making it hard ! It seems the separate third piece is not the extra extension, It screwed into a filial as if it is an end piece. I took the filials off both so called end pieces and then it is possible to put all three together and screw in the filials. I nearly went crazy too and I took one back to Walmart because of it.. Bought the next one from Target and then discovered the same problem but solved it as above. They need to check assembly lines and include instructions for this problem, Both rods were from China.

• Tonya Sjolin
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I am so glad I found this thread! I opened everything, and read the instructions. Nowhere in the instructions did it say how to install the third rod. Thank goodness I only spent about 10 minutes looking at it like it was a defect before I went to forums!!!!

• JANICE PORTER
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Yes, what you said works! I ordered a set of rods and thinking the packers at the factory must've been smoking something on their break and made the mistake of packing 3 finial end pieces so that the extension wouldn't fit inside the two ends, I exchanged it for the same one. When that set came- the same problem! So then I went to the order page and told them I was returning both. Then ordered a completely different set..on arrival,.same problem! I decided to look on YouTube or pose such a dumb question as to how do I put a 3 -piece rod set together?? Your thread appeared. Wow! Thank you so much. Now I just need to figure out which set I want to keep.

• Shant Derderian
    2 years ago

I know this post is about 11 years old but annfire - thank you. So simple. I was losing it, thank you!

• Ranae Ladieu
    2 years ago

I really thought this was my answer as I was about to start throwing things but ITS NOT! My “middle” rod does not have the screw-in for a finial! Waaaah!!! So I have 2 larger rods, one which is supposed to be the middle rod, or at least the illustration on the box shows it as the middle rod, and the other has finial attached. The smaller rod fits into the middle rod and has finial attached at other end. Middle rod will not fit into other larger rod. The middle rod appears to be designed to expand or be made smaller on one end - not sure which - but I’ve tried both. Nothing works. I’m so frustrated.

• Tonya Sjolin
    2 years ago

What does the other end look like if you unscrew the finial?

• Ranae Ladieu
    2 years ago

It’s the Housing for finial to screw into that will NOT come out - trust me. I ended up taking a hammer to the end of middle rod that is apparently supposed to be squeezed into other large rod. Yeah right. It didn’t feel right having to basically destroy the middle rod to make this work. God forbid I ever need this rod to be longer. I will not be buying #DecoWindow again. It did not need to be made to be this difficult.

• Ranae Ladieu
    2 years ago

And I’m not even impressed with the end result - not the rod’s fault - the finials are beautiful.

• HU-175468933
    last year

Thank goodness we have a computer and a working internet! How many people have returned these rods because they can't access Houzz? AnnFire: We trust you are well and happy! B and J O.

• Robyn Smith
    6 months ago

OMG! You were absolutely right Ann! I was so annoyed for hours. I called Target and they could not even fig it out. Thank you for saving me a trip to return this. The smaller middle peice was on the finnial.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County