Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Front door color getting "thumbs down" from neighbors

Posted by NewEnglandSara (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 20:24

Hi All,

We have painters starting next Monday, and we want to change the front door color on our new house from red to some sort of green. We thought we had picked a color (shown in the photo below), but today several of our neighbors mentioned that they think the color looks too much like camouflage; they don't like it at all. They recommended keeping the door red, but we really want to go with some sort of green or blue (although can't imagine a blue that would work.) Any tips would be great! I will also post a follow-up picture that is a full view of the house.

Thanks so much!

Sara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Front door color getting "thumbs down" from neighbors

Below is a far away photo of the house from this past winter. Hopefully that provides the big picture. (We are keeping the house color the same: the beige on the sides and back of the house.)

Thanks again!

Sara

o

my favorite exterior green is Ben Moore Mountain Moss. It would look great with your stone and beige exterior, IMO.

You could definitely do a blue door with that house as well!

BM Mountain Moss

o

Or, BM Colonial Verdigris

o

Also, Windsor Green and Palmer Green, also in the BM Williamsburg Collection.

Prussian Blue;Wetherburn's Blue;Williamsburg Wythe Blue

o

I can't help you in picking a color, but you sure have a cute house.

The next time one of my neighbors picks an exterior color I don't care for, I'm gonna tell them to change it. :)

o

Perhaps your neighbors are not comfortable with change. They'll get used to it in time. I think Tibb has given you some good suggestions. I would vote for Wyeth Blue. It splits the difference between green and blue, to my eye.

o

bbstx, another nice blue/green from the Williamsburg Collection is the Everard Blue.

o

First, who says your neighbors get to be the 'deciders' of colors on your home? Change is hard for lots of people.

Here how your door might appear.

o

Why can't I see beverly27's pic?

o

I like that Everard Blue shade that was posted.

o

I appreciate that New England Sara is responsive to her neighbors.

Here is BM Wythe Blue on a front door

o

Wow, I can't believe how quickly many of you chimed in! So helpful...It will be terrific to have some particular colors in mind when I head to the hardware store tomorrow to buy swatches. Please keep any ideas coming!

(I happen to LOVE Wythe Blue every time I look at the paint swatch, but I never thought of it for our house. I can't wait to see how it might look as I love it on the door above.)

Beverly27, your image did not show up for me. Any chance you can repost?

I agree that our neighbors should not decide on our door color! That said, they are all lovely people, and I do respect their opinion. I was not set on that color, and the strong opinions certainly gave me pause! :-)

Again, thank you so much!

Sara

o

BM Everard Blue (Woodwork, not the walls)

o

I like the Mayo Teal too

o

The wythe blue looks so bland compared to the green you chose initially! Do you have to acquiesce to their requests? Is it the homeowners association? I prefer the red you have to the washed out colors :-(

o

Everard Blue or Mayo teal are beautiful! I also like Colonial Verdigris if you want green. I think kswl is right about the washed out colors being too bland.

o

The green doesn't look like camouflage to me, but Tib's blues look so fresh & vibrant in comparison.

o

Wow, more great ideas and varied input!

AWM03, that photo is amazing! How did you do that? I would love to try out other colors the same way. Is there a way to pick particular colors and view them? I would love more info!

My husband does wish that I would just stick with the original green, but I am not sure that I can after the strong input. I aim to please! :-)

Sara

o

This isn't a polished rendition, but here's Everard Blue:

o

I'm not one of your neighbors but I really like that Everard Blue. :)

o

If you want to go with green, do a deep, rich, classic hunter green like BM Seaweed.

Though I do like the teal too.

o

Personally, I think the original green would be much prettier if not seen next to the red. I think that is why they don't like it.

o

I agree that the original green is worse against the red, but I think it has too much yellow and is harsh with the stone. The red is a great color, but if you want something new, I like the Everard Blue. River Blue is similar but has a bit more green. Washington Blue takes it more towards a true blue. I don't know where to find the dots that keep appearing, but they are BM colors too.

o

N.E.Sara, I use a digital image program called Paintshop Pro. But, assuming you have a PC, you can paste your picture into MS Paint, the little applet that comes free with Windows (in Accessories). And you can use the Windows Snipping tool that also comes free in Windows Accessories to copy paint samples on the web and paste them into MS Paint next to your house picture. Click on the Eye Dropper tool, then click on the samples to copy the sample colors. Then draw a box over your door and fill in the box with the color you chose. It makes a crude mock-up of a door, but is surprisingly helpful.

Below is a link to a video on how to draw a box and fill it in with color, and here's a picture of what your workspace might look like:

Here is a link that might be useful: Filling in with color

o

IMHO, I don't care for the original green color either and I love green! I think the Wythe Blue would be beautiful. A green that would also look nice is BM's Hampshire Gray in the Historical colors. Would look beautiful with your stone.

o

I know this isn't going to help but I love the original red door. Love your home, too,

o

BM Largo Teal. is a beautiful door color

Here is a link that might be useful: Largo Teal

o

Whoa! Love those teals, both the Mayo Teal and the Largo Teal. I must confess, I don't like the green, either. It's dull and doesn't dance. :-)

o

I liked the red you had - your house is so darling!

o

I really like the Everard Blue and the Mayo Teal. I think they'd look great next to the stone and the white of the trim.

o

What a lovely front entrance, ravencajun! Love the Largo teal blue!

I have BM Knoxville Gray (a dark gray) on the front door of my 1910 brick bungalow and I love it. Same paint is on my LR fireplace.

I vote for teal blue on your front door, Sara! Your neighbors 'will' get over it.

Teresa

o

I think the neighbors are right insofar as the shade of green you had originally. I don't care for it either. I don't think you need to stick with the red door, and you have some good suggestions above. Would a pumpkin color look good? There seems to be some of that shade in the stonework.

o

You have both the door and the trim around it to consider. I was struck in the Paint workspace posting by your stone (gorgeous), the blue and the beige colors, all together. Maybe you can pick two compatible colors for the entrance. White trim next to the stone and the new door color will certainly affect how you see the new color.

o

Why not just let the neighbors decide!

Joking of course. Lots if good ideas suggested. Good luck choosing:)

o

I would give the algae green a thumb or two down. It's not a flattering color with the stone. In the Victorian era there was a Moss green that was similar but not quite as bilious.
I don't like the wythe blue as an exterior color.
One old house I'm familiar with uses Mallard as the color on the exterior doors and screen doors, it is a color that wears well on the eyes and ages fairly well (the pigments don't fade to another shade entirely, as can be the case with some synthetic pigment paints)
Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Mallard Green (Ben Moore)

o

It's a bit too "avocado" green for my taste. A slightly greyer green would look better with that stone.

o

I love green and had a similar color on my front door at my last home. I don't like it with your stone coloring.
I prefer the blues that have been suggested although your red looks really good too.

o

I like the color you picked and it seems to look nice with your stone. I would stick with it personally.

What color is the neighbors door and house? Is it something you really like or something more common? It might be they personally do not like that tone of green on anything.

o

I also like the color you picked and think it's great with your stone.

However - Your neighbors do have a point. It IS Camo Green... Perhaps the next darker shade in the card?

o

One thing about the green -- it looks great with all kinds of wreaths. I imagine it would look terrific with all kinds of potted flowers too. Are you a gardener? It would harmonize with your landscaping. A color that pops looks great but sometimes doesn't jive with the flower garden or looks off in certain seasons.

o

Too drab looking with your stone. Too reminiscent of 60's avocado green.

o

It just occurred to me that we used to call that color olive drab.

o

I spent nine years in the military and never once had that color of "green" mixed with my cammo...but

1. I love the original red door.

2. If my neighbors' complained about a color sample I was trying, I'd paint my entire house with it, even if it was ugly.

3. I love the richer "seaweed" green that was posted.

4. I'm not a "blue" person, but some of the blues are beautiful, too.

5. I love the original red door, but it's your choice and we all need to shake things up a bit now and then.

6. I personally find the first green color "not the best." But, like your neighbors; I don't get to vote! LOL

o

My stonework and beige siding is similar to yours. Beautiful home! I recently painted my front door with the assistance of this forum. Here is the result thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg041707553575.html

I am pleased with the outcome. The door looks fresh and inviting and not too drab. It isn't what I originally intended but I didn't want it to look out of synch with the home.

In the same vein, I really like Largo Teal and Mayo Teal. My door is Caribbean Azure.

Good luck!

o

How about Benjamin Moore Evening Dove?
 photo newenglandsaradoorcolor_zps0e70800a.png

o

I like the evard blue,seaweed green or the original red.

But you could have some fun with your neighbors. Go buy some pink paint and paint part of the door. See how fast they come running. Tell them since they didnt like the green, this was the color you chose.

o

I like the color green you chose, too. I think it will look wonderful with your stone! Wythe blue would be my second choice.

I love your house. Big fan of stone homes!

o

To me that green is too much like an army olive drab color which may be what the neighbors meant. A green that is less olive, like Colonial Verdigris or one of the blues or blue-greens others posted.

Evening Dove or Everard Blue bring out some of the blue undertone in your stone.

o

I don't think your neighbors get a vote, unless you ask them to weigh in on two colors you love and you can't decide and you totally love these neighbors and respect their opinion.

Personally, I don't care for that first green color at all. Strained baby peas, before and after. The original red is fantastic. I'm not a blue person, but some of the teals are nice. Although I love green, none of the greens offered are that great.

o

This is a new house, right? I think this is a great way to meet and greet your new neighbors. Why not pic three or four paint chips and have a "weigh-in" on which color people like, with the understanding, of course, that ultimately, what you and your husband want will be what goes. But why not invite them over for a glass of iced tea or lemonade, or something, and make some fun of it. So long as they weren't buttinsky about the green and saying they didn't like it, I think this is a great opening for you to get to know your new neighbors.

o

http://blog.builddirect.com/door-accents-a-doorway-to-personality/

o

I do love the original red but understand the desire for a change! I think the Everard Blue mentioned would look extremely nice on your house, including in the winter snow. I could also see a navy blue looking great.

Since you posted here and asked for our advice, I do think the green you tested looks drab and will not make the door stand out from the stone and look inviting.

o

Sara -- Where in New England do you live?
I can totally see your home plopped down in the Connecticut town I grew up in, and I appreciate that you're open to listening to your neighbors' opinions (but, yes, they're just their opinions). Maybe they're afraid of a deep purple front door or a lime green one! (I saved my lime green for my tiny kitchen and powder room in the front of my townhouse.)

Some shades just work so well with traditional New England, while just 2 shades away on the same color card, not so much. The first green does look like pea soup to me, or overcooked zucchini, maybe.

How do you feel about a true hunter green? Red would be a safe color, too -- but I wouldn't do it if there are a lot of red doors in your neighborhood. (Just cuz I like to see variety on streets!)

o

I think it is best never to tell your neighbors your plans ahead of time. Of course everyone is going to have an opinion.

While camo if very popular right now, in all sorts of colors not just green, there seems to be a backlash against it.

If you want green then do green, just find the right one.

o

LOL it's like telling everyone what you're going to name your baby. Then all the comments and opinions start...

o

I think Tibbrix had a very "neighborly" suggestion.
I loved that my former neighbors came over and weighed in on
new roof and garage doors.
Good neighbors will look out for your property when you are away
if they feel an attachment to you and or your home.
Not all might appreciate that but I loved it!

I liked the Mayo Teal.

o

I am beyond amazed by the wonderful (and sometimes humorous) input on this thread! Wow! (Mamarella, your house looks beautiful, by the way! I can definitely see the similarities in color, although the scope of your house is much larger from the front.)

On Monday, I picked up a bunch of paint chips at the local hardware store and held them up for my husband to see. (Many of them were colors that were recommended on here...or similar!) We have decided to go with some sort of blue (probably with green-ish undertones), but we had a lot of trouble narrowing the field down to one color. I have about 8-10 swatches set aside, and I am going to look them over tomorrow with a friend who has a good eye for color. Then, I will buy a few small jars of paint and see what actually looks good when it's up! We will see if the neighbors decide to chime in this time around. :-)

To answer a few questions, I live outside of Boston, and we are moving from just a few blocks away. Therefore, I already know some of the neighbors, and they feel comfortable enough telling me when they don't like something....for better or for worse! Likewise, I appreciate the honest--and varied--input on this thread. :-) What a wonderful resource!

I will certainly let you all know what we decide, and I might even post a photo with the "finalists!"

Many thanks again!

Sara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here