Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesleyintn

invisible screens

lesleyintn
12 years ago

Have any of you used invisible screens? Are they any good? Which brands do you recommend? Have any of you used Reel Screens? Thanks

Comments (2)

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

We just had a Phantom Screen door installed last week in our MBR. It's one of those so-called invisible screen doors that unreels from the side of the door frame and then reels back in when not needed. We looked at several different kinds, but ended up going with the more durable (and expensive) one from Phantom Screens. We found the display at our local Lowes store.

This is for a glass patio door that opens inward between our MBR and our small walled-in garden patio. So far, I love it, but it does take some getting used to. It fastens in 2 or 3 places with VERY strong magnets. To open it, I need to hold the handle securely and tug sideways a bit. If I let go, it instantly snap-rolls into it's casing in the door frame. It won't break if this happens, but the installers told me that for longevity, it's better not to let it snap back in quickly.

These screens are sold through companies like Lowes by locally owned concessions. The price of the door includes the installation. There was no option to install it ourselves. After watching them install ours,though, I'm glad they did it and not us!

It's only been a week, but I'm really glad we got ours. It makes for better cross-ventilation in our bedroom and also allows us to hear the fountain in the garden.

Our doberman has recognized it from the start as a scrren door, and doesn't even lean against it. Good boy, Ronin!
    The screen door, BTW, cost $430. That's a LOT of money for a screen door, but because of the location of the door itself on the wall, taht the door opens into the room instead of out, and the custom size needed (a bit smaller than average), it was the best option for us. Given other circumstances, though, I'd save my money and go with a regular, simple, full screen door.
    Lynn

• lesleyintn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, lynninnewmexico. We looked at Reel Screens yesterday and were underwhelmed. Another dealer is coming tomorrow. I think that I'll go look at Phantom Screens at Lowes. I had heard that invisible screens were cheaply made...but not cheap. I was afraid to go to the big box stores because I thought that they might be lower quality.