Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
14 1/2''Tall Coffee Table - Yes or No - Craigslist

Posted by oldbat2be (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 20:14

I have just begun the search for an 'open' feeling piece, for in front of the window sofa, in our family room. I just found this on Craigslist.

Dimensions: 50 x 20 wide x 14.5 tall. I like the rattan base a lot. It's only $20 but a good hour and a half drive away. I don't mind refinishing it but would appreciate your feedback about the height.

What do you think?! The glass isn't shown but seller says it's in good condition and that it's a very nice table.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 14 1/2''Tall Coffee Table - Yes or No - Craigslist

It would replace the white coffee table shown here (both are going, as well as the rug, and the chair will be reupholstered).

o

I like it, but 50 inches seems long if it is going in place of the one in the photo.

o

Thanks graywings! The white one is 45.5 inches and the sofa behind it is 84".

Now that I look and measure, the 14 1/2 inches comes up to the bottom of the seat cushions.

I've tried putting my feet up to this height and it's fine. I like the idea of the coffee table sort of disappearing and think this might do the trick.

Objections, anyone?

o

It looks like you already have a coffee table in front of the longer sofa. Is your plan to have 2 coffee tables in the room? I wonder if 2 smaller square tables or ottomans would be a better choice for the love seat.

o

OB, I like it! I think it would be a perfect length and the height sounds fine with the height of your sofa. The price is right too even with the trip to and fro.

I like the openness of it. My coffee table is so dark and heavy that it weighs down my room. It is definitely function over form as DH sits at the sofa and the table top lifts up so his laptop is at a good height. I think I have created a monster as he spends hours playing solitaire.

o

Thanks holly-kay! The low price doesn't really matter; however, these last days of summer are very precious. We're hoping to get there early (or late) and still get some time out on the bikes and on the water.

Your DH and mine would get along well - mine plays sudoku happily for hours both on the ipad and on the version in the newspaper (which always ends up folded up on the island, once completed. And how will this piece of paper make it to the recycling....?)

Hmmm ... what I save here I think I can spend on bed linens, no? Now where did I see that post....?

o

LOL OB. I assure you the linens are well worth the price. I've spent far more looking for the perfect sheet than I have on purchasing the perfect sheets. Check out her website, that will answer a lot.

I love your beautiful room and I'm anxious to see it once your built-ins are installed.

o

I really like the openness of the table. You can see the scratches in the wood of the tabletop, but yes, you could refinish it. It seems like a great buy for $20.00. DO you have another coffee table in front of the other couch? If so, how will it play with it's sibling? The color looks similar, how about the style of the other coffee table? Gads, if we think too long, it will be long gone!

o

I think ob2b said both coffee tables are going.

I like it and the idea of using ottomans.

o

Got it! DH and I are on our way back. Nice little trip through a quiet Boston this morning to rural Berkley MA.

Voila - glad you like! My vision for the room is dark at the bottom, light up top. Nice, large dark rug grounding everything. Will try to refinish the table in walnut tones, I think.

Gsciencechick - I like the idea of an ottoman on the other sofa, thanks!

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 10:29

o

Well if this isn't instant gratification, I'm not sure what is!

I like it a lot! Please ignore breakfast of champions and dog hair all over rug....

The finish is similar to that on the chair on the left and I may only need to repair scratches.

o

i would use the new larger coffee table in front of the sofa and 2 smaller ottomans in front of the love seat.

o

That looks great!

o

I have to say I like the table since I had the exact one several years ago, but it was a sofa table, higher and used behind the sofa. There's nothing that says 'dated' and it still has appeal. Enjoy!

o

I like it! I agree about the ottoman suggestions. Didn't you already pick a rug for the room? I seem to recall a post on that?

o

Score! Great buy!

o

Ooh, very nice. I was wondering if you could simply touch up the scratches with a furniture marker. I like the color of the wood as it is. Now you can play around with everyone's thoughts of switching it to the sofa or using ottomans. Where would ottomans be used more? Could you please pass me a powdered sugar donut (?).

o

I have that coffee table too.

o

Geez - I LOVE a great deal. It looks great.

o

Looks great! I'm so glad it worked for you.

o

Thanks all! A few days later and I'm still smiling as I walk by each time, a good sign:)

oaktonmom - Please tell me why you like the idea of 2 smaller ottomans. This is not something I've considered!

olychick - Thanks!

patty_cakes - Glad to hear, I liked your comment about it not being dated (made me think).

mtnrdredux - I make my little decorating decisions serially vs. in parallel (unlike other people who decorate entire homes in one fell swoop--no names of course!). No, I had just photoshopped a few dozen rugs and was paralyzed by indecision.

Your comment reminded me to go back to my old threads and look some more. I think I have a decision, just need to figure out how true this color is.

nosoccermom, finallyhome - Exactly how I feel (I am not the bargain shopper and am thrilled!)

voila - I will have to darken the color to match the sofa legs, it is lighter than showing and I have yet to take a decent picture. So, clean up scratches and maybe strip entirely? I apologize but the donuts were inhaled shortly after photo was taken.

emmarene - is yours as short as this? I am surprised at home much I like the low height.

holly-kay - thank you! You are always so supportive of all of us:)

o

It looks great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here