Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
He's Here! (Inappropriate Attachment redux)

Posted by bbstx (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 20:08

The Watermelon Strut Console arrived while we were out of town. DBIL and Little Sister came today and helped me with assembly. I LOVE IT!!!

He's a little shy (looking into DR from front door):
 photo photo2_zps04f1234c.jpg

au naturel
 photo photo1_zpsc02185ff.jpg

from the LR
 photo photo3_zps87782c38.jpg

As with any addition to the family, some changes need to be made. We need different artwork, different lamps and/or shades, etc. It is what Little Sister refers to as the "Give a Moose a Muffin" decorating syndrome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: He's Here! (Inappropriate Attachment redux)

Very pretty!!

o

Perfect under that painting.

o

Fabulous, fabulous! I love it. Yes, I am familiar with the concept of Give a Moose a Muffin. Fun book, even more fun as a decorating philosophy. Will be awaiting more pictures as your room evolves!

o

What fun! Congratulations.

o

He's super sexy! I wish he weren't quite so shy as you enter the room, however. Maybe he'll stand more proud once dressed.

o

He looks great with the art and lamp. No need for mission creep.

o

I think you could use the same artwork, just lower it by a few inches.

o

I agree that the painting needs lowering. I'm hopeful my artist friend will paint me something huge with just a touch of watermelon in it. And I need black lamp shades. And accessories. But until then, I'll adjust what I have.

Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with the electrical cords? Not cord covers, please. I'm thinking I could shorten the cord, then attach it somehow to the underside of the console so that the cord comes straight down to the outlet. Electrical cords drive me nuts, but I guess it beats gas lamps.

o

Love it! Love the color. I believe that when I was searching for a console table you may have provided a link to this item and I liked it then, having not buyers remorse now. Or I am having a touch of deja vu. Can't wait to see how you dress him up.

o

You can use something like this on the wall and baseboard to hide the cord behind the straight lines of the furniture.

o

I posted this picture a few weeks back on a thread about cord covers. You can have your lamps rewired with a cool retro cord and plug you don't have to hide:

o

Love the table. I agree, the current painting works but should be lowered a bit. My understanding is that paintings in DR should be set a little lower because they are always being looked at from a sitting position rather than a standing one.

o

Such a great piece of furniture! Kswl- I will totally be stealing that cord idea.

o

Congrats on your new purchase (man)! It looks great. Cannot wait to see how you decorate with it!

o

I love him! I love him! I love him!

(... and where he goes I'll follow....)

Oh you know the rest. Something about oceans and...

I completely understand your problem with the cord. You don't want to spoil the perfect geometry of his undercarriage with a random curly-curve.

What color is the lamp cord? It looks like it might be brown, or black? A quick and easy start would be to paint it white. Yep, paint it. Might disguise it just enough.

If it still bothers you, you should follow your instincts and shorten it and attach it to his leg.

I get the Moose/Muffin decorating concept. I once started out by changing a shower handle, and ended up gutting three rooms of my house. Totally worth it.

o

mclarke, for some reason, that same song is stuck in my head!

The lamp cord is silver - the standard silver wire encased in clear plastic, so it is about as innocuous as they come. My family makes fun of my lamp cord aversion. Wonder if the Command strips would damage the finish on the legs?

omg, from shower handle to 3 rooms! I think that defines "Give a Moose a Muffin"!

o

Put the Command strips on the wall behind the legs, not on the legs of the table. I did some damage with Command strips on a painted surface last Christmas. It was my fault because I didn't remove them properly. The best removal technique is to hold whatever is stuck to the strip firmly against the surface while pulling the strip as flat against the surface as possible. It's when you lift UP while pulling that you tend to pull the paint off with the strip.

o

I think it's great (I thought it was great when you first asked about it too). Just wonderful to inject some color like that!

o

That's a great color! It's so fun to have something new to decorate around!

o

He's a fine fellow, lives up to his hype. Enjoy and if you feel like you must abandon him for a mightier and newer stud, let me know. I take hand-me-down guys.

o

patricia, you are too funny. I'm afraid you'll have to get in line for this one, though. Niece and DD have already called dibs on him. They like skinny guys!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here