Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_li

Rescued a Chandy from the dumpster...

kathleen_li
15 years ago

My son bought a new house and was replacing the chandy.

It was a beige iron type, so I took it out of the dumpster and sprayed it with rustoleum black so I could use it out doors..

Here it is...

And here it is used for a Garden Party, with some wisteria weaved through..

Here's the link to the rest of the Garden Party pics if you would like to see..We would love to have you visit at HOLIDAYS part of this site...we decorate too, but mostly our tables :)

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/christmas/msg081419176610.html?24

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Party..Holidays

Comments (18)

• Pieonear
    15 years ago

Wow! It's perfection! Thanks for sharing.

Mammie

• Pieonear
    15 years ago

It's me again. I got so excited looking at all your pretty things that I forgot to mention the chandy. It looks great too. Nice save. :)

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Mammie! I appreciate it..
    I put citronella votives inside the chandy..

• Pieonear
    15 years ago

"And here it is used for a Garden Party, with some wisteria weaved through.."

Tell me about the wisteria. Is it silk or the real thing? Whatever, I love it!

• natal
    15 years ago

Kathleen, I missed the pic with the shades at GB or maybe you didn't post it there. Do they allow enough light from the candles?

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I love it. i did the same thing with a free Brass chandelier I got from CL a couple of years ago. Just painted it this spring. It is not electrified as it is too old so it will hold white tapers instead.
    I saw your garden party thread and was wondering if it was fake or real wisteria? what a great idea!

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi natal, I still have dishes in the trunk! LOL (do you remember that?)
    Yes, the candle shows through...you couldn't read a book with them, but it's a nice glow. With a few scattered around the table and the one in the centerpiece it is nice...

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The wisteria is finished blooming, so I used "faux".
    Carried the color of the cloth to the chandy, and you know dh thinks I am crazy,...but he did hang it for me!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

You are very talented. Thanks for sharing and the invite to go take a look at the decorations.

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

love the chandy Kathleen. Looks great in your setting.
    The best pieces are the ones that have been 'rescued' and given a new life !!

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Jane, wish someone would rescue me and give me a new life, LOL..I need more than spray paint though!
    Brutuses, thank you too.

• sdionnemoore
    15 years ago

Wow. It's beautiful, and so are the colors you used for your garden party.

• teeda_2006
    15 years ago

I love it! It looks great in black. To be honest, though, I like it better without the glass shades/globes. Looks more like an outdoor fixture without them--although I realize you need something to keep the wind from the candle flames. If it was mine, I'd try to find small glass votive holders (even old juice/shot glasses)glue them on with epoxy and then add the tea candles. Would add a nice sparkle in the evening.
    What a great dumpster find you made!

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Teeda, I bought clear votive holders to glue on. Just haven't bought the epoxy yet. I will have to give them the wind test though..
    Thanks..

• brandyland
    15 years ago

great idea!! Love it and am on the lookout for myself now :>)....question about the "roof" on your outdoor space. It appears to be fabric? We are looking at options for our deck that would be shade and light rain resistant. Thanks!

• sharon_fl
    15 years ago

A real treasure you made for your garden party area. I wish the folks who make the battery operated candles, would come up with a chandy size -it would work so great for places with no electrical outlets! I loved your table covering & the entire setting. Nice taste!

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you! I agree, larger battery tea light type lights would be good!
    Brandyland, it is canvas..and only light rain resistant. I tried spraying it with waterproofing, lasted one season.
    We are due for a new top, or maybe a new gazebo next year. I do like the wood sides opposed to the metal though.

• User
    15 years ago

Brilliant!