Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franksmom_2010

Ralph Lauren is back at Home Depot

franksmom_2010
9 years ago

I was in HD today for something else and noticed the paint department is all different. Huge new display for their Marquee line, which I've read bad reviews of, and no sign of the Martha Stewart colors at all. The whole display is gone. The mid-grade Behr line is now in the much smaller Martha display area, and there's a whole new settup for the RL stuff.

Any opinions on RL paint? Colors? Who actually makes the paint?

I forsee more painting in my future, so I'm just curious. I recently used the Glidden Duo in a Martha color and I don't love it. The color looks nice and there was very little odor, but the coverage wasn't great, although that could have been user error, as I ended up with a lot leftover based on the square footage charts.

Comments (10)

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

I used the RL line at HD for years - years ago. I liked the way it went on the wall, coverage was great rarely needing more than one coat after primer. This was when I was in my beige and red phase.
    I am currently doing all the painting in my new house and started with all BM paint. I absolutely do not see what all the hype is about. I must have tried 10 to fifteen colors, and the trim paint just is a pain to paint.4-5 coats! So I switched to SW and Behr from HD. 2-3 coats.
    Great to hear the RL is back at HD. Have no idea who makes it.

• peony4
    9 years ago

My HD doesn't have the RL paint yet, but I've noticed the other changes you've mentioned here. I like Behr paint and have used it for years. When I find a color from another paint manufacturer, I just color-match it to Behr and test the sample to be sure I still like it in the Behr paint.

I recall liking the RL colors, so if they return to my local store, I'll certainly consider them... but matched in Behr paint.

I personally do not like BM paint and believe too many homeowners are talked into it by their painter/contractors. I have painted several homes, several times, and find that I need twice as much BM paint to accomplish what Behr paint can do. But to each their own... those in the BM camp will always be simply because it's "BM."

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

Peony4 you said it! I went back to the Behr line for interiors and it really cut down on the time it takes to paint.
    I have a current fan of RL colors that I picked up last spring from my paint store. Not HD. Would like to compare if colors at HD are different.

• User
    9 years ago

Found this from remodelingguy.net.

No date on the piece though, but I find the Martha/Ralph info interesting.

Who Makes Ralph Lauren Paint?

IâÂÂm a huge fan of Ralph Lauren Paint and I was pretty well crushed when they stopped selling it at Home Depot. IâÂÂm really still not over it. But there is good news, or so IâÂÂm told. You can still buy it at ICI Paint Stores.

Who Makes Ralph Lauren Paint?

Ralph Lauren Paints is manufactured by AkzoNobel, an large international company whose roots can be traced back almost 400 years to Sweden.

They recently purchased ICI, which was the original manufacturer. There are still ICI Paint Stores in many areas, but trying to find one on the website is a task, to say the least.

I was told by an AkzoNobel sales rep who I cornered in Home Depot, that Ralph Lauren Paint is still available in ICI stores. If you buy some, please let me know so I can breathe easy!

Incidentally, AkzoNobel also manufactures Martha Stewart Living Paints, which replaced Ralph Lauren on Home Depot Shelves. IâÂÂve never tried MarthaâÂÂs paint, but IâÂÂm sure itâÂÂs great.

On an interesting note, I was surprised to hear that Ralph Lauren himself actually took an interest in the paint business. It wasnâÂÂt just a branding thing, for what itâÂÂs worth.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

I loved the RL colors, but was only so-so on the paint formula as I recall. I had three RL colors in our last home. Glad to see it's back!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

In my last house weused a RL paint that had a faux suede finish and I really liked; it was very very subtle

• ardcp
    9 years ago

i was talked into sw emerald paint by a painter i hired to do my kitchen/living room. i have used behr and like it ok, hate the olympic, despise glidden ceiling paint so much i will not try the wall version. you should get the idea that i have used lots of paint over the last 15 years. i paid a small fortune for sw even on sale and it goes on nicely (bought extra for an adjoining room that i did myself) but it is not durable at all! i have marks that will not wash off everywhere and sw says they guarantee this for life but gave me a really hard time when i went back to get an additional gallon for touch up!
    the newest paint i used was valspar from lowes ( not the highest end one, just the normal one) and i loved it! too soon to tell on wear but it covers so nicely and the color is true. i only needed 1 coat whereas with the sw, i needed 2.

• franksmom_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm a Behr fan, too. I love their paint, even though the folks over on the paint board think it's garbage. I used BM satin Impervo on a piece of furniture, and wasn't impressed at all. I used Ace Cabinet and Trim paint on another piece and it was really horrible. I'd never use either again.

Interesting that the entire Martha Stewart displays, including the specialty paints, stencils, do-dad rollers and such are all completely gone. Or maybe they just moved them to a discrete location. I like a lot of the MS colors, and the Duo paint was attached to the MS brand, but I wouldn't use the paint again. I do like that their samples come in an eggshell finish, though.

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

Oh I hope my HD is bringing Ralph Lauren back! I loved the RL colors and the paint quality was great. I don't think it was as affordable as Behr, but I loved the ones I used.

• CharBerry
    9 years ago

I LOVE Ralph Lauren paint. Used it several years ago and it holds up very well. Only problem is...I created my own color using Ralph Lauren and now can't remember or find what I used!