Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terezosa

What do you think of this color combo?

terezosa / terriks
11 years ago

We built our house 7 years ago, and all of the walls were painted a neutral beige color. I have painted a few rooms, including the dining room which is a rust color. Dividing the dining room from the living room is a 3 sided fireplace with copper slate tile on the hearth and as an accent around the mantle. I also have a rust sofa and loveseat in the living room. I want to paint the living room a color that complements the rust. I have been looking for the perfect gray with a slight touch of blue/green and I think that I've found it in BM Platinum Silver. It looks a little more green in person than it does in the picture.

Comments (29)

• beeps
    11 years ago

That looks like it goes really well with the tile - which ties those two colors together nicely. I'm not a BM color expert though, so I'm sure they will be able to give a more informed opinion. Looks pretty to me, however! :)

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I'm not feeling it. I'm not sure of the answer though. I do like the tile and the Red-ish color but there is something not right with it all mixed with the white door trim, tile ,red-ish and gray-ish.
    Maybe if we could see it in with a few different lightings?

• aggierose
    11 years ago

I think it looks really pretty!

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

I like it! The tile you have is gorgeous, btw! Gray looks so pretty with any rosy or red-based hue, imo! Pinks, reds, oranges, of all intensities and descriptions, are so great-looking with gray. I think you may have found your color!

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like the way that it blends with and picks up the shimmery tones in the tile.

• Sheeisback_GW
    11 years ago

I think those colors work very well together.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I love the combo! Very nice blend of dramatic (the rust) and soothing (the greenish-gray). Beautiful tile too!

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Terriks, what is the number for that color? I've looked it up on my Classic, Preview, and Affinity decks & I can't find it! Can only find Platinum Gray...no Silver. Thanks!

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops! It is Platinum Gray, not Silver. It's really weird, but Platinum Gray does not have a number on its strip, and it's not on the BM website. When I went in yesterday to get my sample, they told me that it's because it is a color from a very old line. It was categorized as something like "traditional favorites"

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was googling around and I did manage to find it on the BenjaminMooreonline site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Platinum Gray

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Thanks, Terriks! It's listed on both Classic & Preview decks in the EXT. Room colors. (It does not have a number, but I can tell you it's LRV is 39.4, fwiw!). The EXT. Room colors are located at the very back of the decks, and Platinum Gray is on the third strip. I'm happy to get to see it in person!

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

I mean "its" LRV is 39.4!

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm clueless. I don't know what an LRV is!

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, I looked it up. Light Reflective Value

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I would love to see a sample of Rockport gray with your mix.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

The upper color is Rockport.

What you have so far.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

I like the combo of rust and blue, the only thing that seems a little off to me is the difference in values. The rust is quite dark, and the gray quite light. In the room photo you posted, the rust is dotted around in small doses, with the rest of the decor being soft, muted, and a light value. without being able to see the whole area to have a sense of the context, I fear your rust red might overpower the soft blue gray. Or it may look great.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

That Rockport reminds me of Revere Pewter. It's a warm gray, almost moving into a taupe. I can see both warm and cool gray tones in Terri's tile.

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like the Rockport, but it's a bit too taupe for what I'm after.

I have this rug in the living room, and it has a gray in it very close to the Platinum Gray.

I will be changing the "art" on the wall above the sofa.

Here's a pic of the living room with fireplace and dining room beyond:

I will also be changing the window treatments.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Wow, what an adorable, cheerful room! Love your coral sofas and that rug is amazing! The pop of orange in your dining area is pretty too! The fireplace that can be seen from both rooms is so cool! Great house, Terriks.

If you paint, you better post pics!

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think that I'll have to wait until my husband has to go out of town for a few days and paint, because I know that he will think there is no need. Also, there is no way that I can move the entertainment center, so I'll just paint around it and behind it with a skinny roller as well as possible. I want to change the window treatments out to woven wood shades and off white lineny drapes I have already bought from Ikea.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

How about this one...SW Mindful Gray.

• beeps
    11 years ago

Came back to look again, and I still like the combo a lot. I think the Platinum Gray looks great with the tile, it does pick up tones in it. And I also love the Platinum Gray with your rug. It looks perfect. Hope your DH goes out of town soon so you can paint it. :) (It will go with the ceiling too, right?)

• kswl2
    11 years ago

The combination you've chosen looks good to me. I think black doors would look utterly fabulous with the color style!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I can see the appeal, terriks, but I think the Platinum, while a lovely color, is too blue for your scheme.

Rather than the color picking up the tones in the tile, I think it's putting the colors into the tile - both your shades are reflected in it in your photo - and I think a slightly warmer companion to the red would give you a more natural effect.

Revere Pewter would be worth a look, and if it's still too taupe for you (it's paler and less brown than Rockport), take a look at Balboa Mist (also B. Moore), which is clearly gray, but warmer than Platinum. I think with the reflected colors in the tile, the warmer gray will be much prettier and more like mother-of-pearl, which is what I see in your tile.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I agree bronwysmom, you have a good way of explaining. Somehow the chosen gray looks a bit wishy washy next to the darker rust wall too.

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input, I will check out the suggested colors. In real life the Platinum Gray looks more green than blue to me. I almost didn't even take the color chip home because in the store it looked too taupe. Whatever color I choose will not actually be next to the rust color walls, except on one small section of the top of the fireplace.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Your ceiling appears beige on my monitor. Make sure the grey you pick ties in well with that too.