Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintedpeggies

Craigslist find: should I buy this dining set?

It is a Pottery Barn dining room set . They are only asking $125, and it is about an hour away. It also comes with two other brand rush seat black armchairs I feel like I will regret it if I don't get them. Right now I have a honey oak set that I have been DYING to paint because it is way too tan for my taste.

But the work involved in painting it seems a ton...and I probably would spend more on paint/labor than I would on this Craigslist set...

Here's my current set: I am sorta sick of it!

This post was edited by PAINTEDPEGGIES on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 20:30

Comments (15)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

To me, it looks like the top will need to be refinished. I'm not sure you will really be saving any labor over painting your set.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If you like the set you have, keep it and paint it. Considering you'd have to move that one, move the new one, etc., it actually seems easier to just paint it. All you have to do is sand it a big and prime it and paint it. Not a big deal.

Also, stay away from rush-seat chairs. You don't want to have to deal with having to have them redone when they tear, rip, get holes, etc.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I agree, paint the one you have. That CL one does look like the top is in rough shape.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I think the CL set is more current looking, so if that's important to you, you may just get away with redoing the table top, which would be lots less work that refinishing your whole set.

It's only any hour or two; I'd go check it out and make sure that's all it needs, and that the chairs are comfy.

• peytonroad
    9 years ago

Just now that PB dining room tables are soft. I had the Montego and it is a terrible finish, and doesn't wash well( rag on top to clean up dinner, etc). Get a really good paint!

• prairiemom61
    9 years ago

A friend of mine had an oak set like yours. They painted everything black except the top of the table and the chair seats. It looks very nicely updated now. Sorry I don't have a picture.

• prairiemom61
    9 years ago

Something like this.

• kitschykitch
    9 years ago

Maybe its me, but 125 sounds so cheap id be tempted

• Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am tempted by the price! Plus I'm starting a new job and really won't have time for a big DIY project....hmmmmmm? I guess it won't hurt to take a look...

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Make sure that you have your current set's measurements, as well as room measurements with you when you go look. I was tempted to get new dining room furniture because I was so tired of my old Colonial Revival set. But once I started looking, there really was nothing available in a size that fit my room and family as well as the one I currently had. I ended up keep my set, refinishing the chairs in black, and changing out the hardware on the server. It looks like a new room :)

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Your current table and chairs are what I see in my dining room--and I'm tired of mine, too! I could never paint a piece of wood furniture, but if the wiping stain works on the kitchen cabinets, my table will be getting a new look. Unfortunately, CL does not seem to get as many good items at an inexpensive price here, or they disappear quickly.

If your PB table just needs the top done, I would not think it would be too time consuming to tackle. When I have refinished furniture, it is the round legs and decorative elements that eat the time.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

What Tibbrix said. What you have is probably far better quality than the PB. You might want to chalk paint what you have now. If you plan to dispose of it for something lesser, then it is nothing lost. The chalk paint is expensive as far as paint goes, but it takes very little to no prepping. I recently did a piece that I am very pleased with. I used this blog as my "bible" for doing mine.

http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/2013/02/kitchen-cabinets-tutorial.html

This post was edited by patricia43 on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 12:53

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Your chairs are the worst "time warp" offenders. Maybe for the money you will mix and match..paint the base of your table later?

Decent chairs are expensive--not saying these are PB does not scream QUALITY, but for the money they may be worth the cost. As far as the other two chairs--I have to wonder why they are not shown in the picture.

• Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

He posted many pics including the rush chairs, but I only put one in my post . They are from ABC Homes. I dont remember what I paid for my current set but it was no where near Pottery Barn prices! We bought it about 14 years ago pre-Kids. I still love my hutch, which we bought separately. I want to keep it and sell my table/chairs.

• gardenpea_gw
    9 years ago

I like your set except for the outdated chairs. Keep in mind that your table does not have corner legs, so you can squeeze more people around the one you have. I always have people straddling the corner legs when we have a large group, and I hate that.