Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_2008

Size & Spacing of Canvas Prints - Above Sofa

Laurie
9 years ago

I want to replace the Girl & Geese pic above my FR sofa. I found stretched canvas prints that I really like. Using brown paper, I put up some variations of sizes & spacing.

The "Birds" canvas print close to the table & sliding glass door is 27" x 27". That's a recent purchase & has prompted me to make this change above the sofa.

The prints I've chosen can be purchased in coordinating pairs.
They are simple birch trees. One set is 22" x 22" each.
The other is 27.5" x 27.5" each.

The paper mock ups show the 22 x 22 pair spaced 4" and also 6" apart.
The 27 x 27 shows 2" apart and 4" apart.

The tree trunks are oriented to the right side of the print in one. The tree trunks are oriented on the left side of the coordinating print (pics posted below).
So, I'll need to decide which print to hang on the left & which one to hang on the right.

1. Which size prints look best for this space (22" or 27")?
2. Which spacing do you think works best (2", 4", 6")?
3. How should the trees be "oriented" (trunks on outer edges or trunks towards center).
4. Any other suggestions?

Room Currently

22" x 22" 4 inches apart

22" x 22" 6 inches apart

27" x 27" 2 inches apart

27" x 27" 4 inches apart

Birch Silhouette1 22" x 22"

Birch Silhouette2 22" x 22"

Golden Birch 1 With Blue Sky 27.5" x 27.5"

Golden Birch 2 With Blue Sky 27.5" x 27.5"

Comments (14)

• edie_thiel
    9 years ago

27 x 27 would be better because you need the length to go with the sofa. I'd lean towards 2 inches apart, but I'd need to see it straight on to make a decision. I think, if they were taller pieces, you could widen the space between them. Trunks on the outside will create a "frame" with the focus being "contained" inside that frame. Trunks on the inside will have the eyes focus upon the trunks, then move up along the branches and out into the space beyond the pictures. So, if your goal is to "stretch" the image over the sofa, I'd have trunks on the insides. Just my opinion, though.

• carolt924
    9 years ago

I would use the larger canvases with the 2" spacing. I believe the larger pieces will make for a cohesive look with the canvas that you have hung on the same wall in the dining area and I believe that canvas is 27 x 27. I love the chickadee canvas as it resides in my famiy room above the fireplace. Enjoy!

• carolt924
    9 years ago

I would also hang the canvases with the trees on the inside edges as Kees-lover suggested.

This post was edited by CarolT924 on Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 20:58

• Laurie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kees Lover - Below, I posted a straight on pic of 27 x 27 - 2 in. apart.
    Good thoughts on "framing" vs. "stretching" when trunks are toward outside edges vs. trunks towards center.
    I appreciate your input!

Carol - You are the person who inspired me to get the bird print!
    I saw it on one of your postings and I knew I had to have it....plus, it was on sale : ) That print makes me very happy. Thank you!!

Straight On Pic of 27" x 27" 2 in. apart

Not very clear pics, below, because they were taken on my computer monitor.
    Trunks Toward Center

Trunks Outside

• edie_thiel
    9 years ago

I like them 2 inches apart. Might want to bring them down a little closer to the sofa so there isn't such a visual gap. I'm leaning towards having the trunks on the outside. Can't explain why (maybe someone with an art background can explain it to me), but it seems more balanced that way and more visually appealing. You'll be able to tell when you step back and look at it from a little distance.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kees Lover - Thanks for confirming that you like them 2" apart and that you would bring them down a little closer to the sofa.

Yes, I agree that once they are up on the wall, it will become apparent which orientation is more pleasing.

It's interesting to me that one tree has more leaves on it than the other. The tree with less leaves has a third trunk. That may have been a visual balancing act by the artist.

• carolt924
    9 years ago

I still like the look of the trees on the inside. When I view them that way my eyes rest on the center, and the two prints almost seem as one, which I like. When the trees are on the outer edge, my eyes seem to look left and right, reinforcing there are two prints hanging on the wall. Ultimately you should hang them whichever is more pleasing to you!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Bigger, closer, outside.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Trunks outside; makes the space and room appear larger. Also something about starting left justified, like text. IIRC art is supposed to make your eye travel in a circle, rather then sending it off the edge.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Exactly as Annie says. Visually I like the trunks on the outside edges.

I love your chickadee print!

• jakefield
    9 years ago

Definitely trunks on the outside and the bigger prints. Personally, I would move them down a bit closer to the sofa and just slightly further apart than your last picture. Nice job with the mock ups!

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Definitely trees on the outside. Closer together and down a little.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, Mtn, Holly, & jakefield - Thank you all for adding your opinions. I appreciate the feedback so much!

It seems unanimous for going with the larger (27") prints & for keeping them close together (about 2").

It also helps to hear so many think they should come down a little bit closer to the top of the sofa.

Most of you like the look with the trunks on the outside. I'll probably start out with the trunks on the outside and then see how it looks in relation to my sofa & the whole room.

I'm aiming to purchase these at the end of December. Then, I can take pics & post a follow up.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

k9arlene - Thank you, too!!