Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gracefullyaged

Ceiling Color for "Different" Ceilings

gracefullyaged
9 years ago

We have several ceiling areas that the builder clearly wanted to showcase (circa 1991) that have flummoxed me since we moved in back in 2009.
Originally everything was ceiling white. I now have the areas painted "sand fossil" on the advice of a decorator. That has served us well, but I'm ready for something a little more dramatic. I've painted the ceiling of the foyer (where I am standing while taking these pictures) van courtland blue and love it. Van courtland blue is also our kitchen color.
The dining room ceiling (would you call that a quatrefoil shape?) seems to call for a rich brown color with our present wall color. However, I am afraid that a rich brown color would weigh down the ceiling in the larger living room area which has more of a "wedding-cake" ceiling, for lack of a better term (is there an appropriate term?).
What color would you paint them since they can both be seen at the same time from the foyer? Would it be OK to paint them different colors (i.e., a rich brown in the dining room and a lighter brown in the living room)?
On a different subject, what is the proper protocol for showing appreciation on this forum? I am mostly a lurker, but when I have asked for help it was generously given. I was always afraid to offer thanks for fear others would think I was trying to "bump" my post when the appreciation was real and the advice acted upon. I later read a post from seasoned posters indicating that they hated the lack of closure when folks asked for help and they never heard from them again. What's the right thing to do?
Meanwhile, I appreciate your sage counsel in advance!

Comments (3)