Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Duvet Choice-- Want to Vote?

beekeeperswife
10 years ago

The Bali Hai furniture will be painted a dark blue, with the gold leaf hardware again.

There will be a dresser, a night stand and a headboard.

Inspiration Dresser

I like the look of mostly white bedding, so I plan on using a white quilt, white sheets. But I will have a duvet at the bottom of the bed. I had in my mind this Pottery Barn duvet. Thinking of using some raspberry accents with the blue. Well, I was thinking that way.

But this duvet is non-returnable and it is not available in the store to see it. That's not fair.

Found this one online at Kohl's, it's by Chaps.

And then I thought maybe I shouldn't do raspberry accents, but go with the lime green accents since that is already in the house.

Imagine them with the navy blue faux bamboo headboard:

Here are my lights for the dresser:

Remember, only look at the duvet covers, not the rest of the bedding. Thanks!

Comments (51)

• sis2two
    10 years ago

Love, love the first one!

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I like the last one, with the lime green, best. The blue ones seem like Blue Overkill with all the blue furniture, and I'd be concerned that the addition of "raspberry" may read as "red" and look kinda patriotic, if you know what I mean.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good question my3, I haven't decided. Currently the walls are Gray Owl. Honestly, I would love to do something behind the headboard. Maybe the headboard should be done in another color. White? Then maybe dark blue grasscloth on the wall behind it? But I really want the headboard to be the same color.

What about hot pink grasscloth? And raspberry accents? Eh, just thinking out loud. That might look crazy. I can wait to get the furniture done and then decide about that, I guess.

thanks for the link btw.

• indygo
    10 years ago

I like the first one best, and the third one second. That's my vote!

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I like the first one if it's really that solid. I'd keep looking if you can't see it in person.

Raspberry is one of my favorite accents in my house, so I vote that way. And, like you said, you HAVE lime. You'll be able to marry what you do in that room with the rest of the house. Go for the raspberry, it's such a lovely and happy color.

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

I like choice number 1 if you are truly only going to have it laying folded on the bottom of bed with a white quilt.

I included one of my favorite photos of a navy ceiling and white walls in case that interests you at all.
    I think the navy furniture will be beautiful.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

I was looking at Robert Allen upholstery today. Here is his pretty drapery in raspberry (albeit monitor less true, more red). I like #1 btw.

LATTICE BAMBOO RASPBERRY BY ROBERT ALLEN

{{!gwi}}

• sameboat
    10 years ago

First one!

• scanmike
    10 years ago

agree, first one, then the third

• mom2sah
    10 years ago

I love the first one.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Oh, I missed the part about it just being folded at the bottom of the bed. In that case, I like #1.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

1 and 3....can't wait to see that furniture when it's done!

• jrueter
    10 years ago

I personally like the lime green, so I would vote for #3, but #1 is definitely a contender.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Another vote for the first one. And I love lime with navy. Love raspberry too, but with #1 think lime would be the right choice, especially the bright lime you have used elsewhere. Throw in a small raspberry accessory or two somewhere for fun. A bowl, candle, vase, whatever.

• grlwprls
    10 years ago

I bought the duvet(s) for my bed at ::cough:: PBTeen. We're doing a navy/kelly green scheme. I ended up with a different green than I first planned for because the Citric lacquer was just too *yellow* lime. Glad we have a stockist in town.

I'm just hoping that the Easton Green with sufficiently represent against the SW Naval accent wall. I have high hopes for the faux brass hardware and gorgeous brass ginger jar lamps with the big rectangular white shades.

Thank goodness that I live and breathe preppy. I almost went with the orange color they have...and I guess I still can. It's too humid to spray paint right now.

Hmmm, orange. Or Begonia.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I love the PB duvet cover, but wonder if too much of that wonderful pattern won't be lost if it's just folded at the end of the bed? I think that's what's so special about it - the pattern - and I'd want to look at all of it. I shouldn't comment on the accent color because I happen to hate pink, so the lime looks fab to me! I do love the lime and navy comforter, too, but am not sure it would have as much punch without the lime sheet. Afraid it might look kind of washed out on a white bed, just accenting at the foot of the bed.

• amykath
    10 years ago

Number one for me! What a great room its going to be. I love navy!

• daki
    10 years ago

Lurker here :)
    I actually have the first duvet from Pottery Barn. It has a nubbly cotton/ linen texture. At first the fabric was very stiff, but it softened nicely over a number of washings. The blue background and pattern is slightly mottled. The underside of the duvet has the same fabric but the pattern there is an all over pattern like what you see on the pillow shams.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank You!

I think I'm doing to order the PB one. I can always make it work in another room (I have not "done" any of the bedrooms since we moved in, everything in them is what we had available.

And daki, thanks for coming out of lurkdom, your post sent me over the decision finish line-- I can always turn it over if necessary.

Sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious--the accent color will be, ahem, an accent color. No need to decide on it now! Maybe lime green will work best, or maybe the raspberry.

But first thing's first-- I need dry weather to get this project started!

grl, I wish you would hurry up so I could see yours done! And speaking of orange/coral--I did have a moment of doubt yesterday in the store--I found white bedding with the embroidered links that outline the top of the bed when the comforter is spread out (very descriptive, right?) and a coral quilt. I thought, maybe I could go this route. I pushed it around the store for a bit, but then realized that the comforter was F/Q and the bed if Full so the chain would have been off to the sides and not sure it would have worked. Plus, I love orange (coral) and blue together but always afraid it ends up looking like "team" colors if not done right.

Bee

• funkyart
    10 years ago

Love your choice .. and I think you are wise to wait for the room to come together before committing to an accent color. The room will tell you what color it wants as you move along-- you are good with all the great bright colors so it will all be good.

LOVE the foo dog lamps!

• daki
    10 years ago

This is what the underside looks like

• daki
    10 years ago

Closer view of the design

• grlwprls
    10 years ago

Well, Bee, I have a local gal sewing me two Chiang Mai dragon pillows in the blue colorway. I have a white base duvet, but our dog sleeps on the bed, so we need a dark duvet folded at the bottom of the bed. We have orange/navy downstairs, so I am okay with it. It's funny, we have such choppy walls that any way over 6ft turns into an accent wall around here :-)

My "office" at the top of the stairs, will be a SW Begonia accent wall, lucite console, our iMac, a Chinese Chippendale chair with a sheepskin, and a Ziyi tension pole lamp. My husband says that plan sounds a little Barbie's Dream Office, but hey.

I am going to spray a sample of Easton Green and Kumquat and see what I think. The more I think...the more I want orange.

I wanted a chevron rug, but now I am leaning toward a hand knotted blue Oriental from Ballard (it has all the colors of the Chiang Mai pillows).

Are you spraying with your new sprayer?

• grlwprls
    10 years ago

Way = wall. Darn this iPad.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would love to do the furniture orange. Would be very fun.

Love your plans. Cannot wait to see it!

• nhb22
    10 years ago

Bee - I love the 1st one for your furniture. What size is the bed?

I have been looking at the City Scene Milan for my grandchild room because it can go wither gender. However, my walls are bright yellow, BM SUMMER STRAW. I was under the impression that the comforter was yellow, not lime green. Where are you seeing that?

• nhb22
    10 years ago

Here is the description from Belk.com

City Scene Milan Comforter Set - Online Only.

Milan is a bright new pattern featuring an allover paisley design with a primary gray, yellow and blue coloration. The comforter reverses to solid yellow with a small foulard print. This intricate design brings new life to your bedroom decor. â¢Set includes comforter and sham(s)
    â¢100% Cotton

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was just going by the monitor, looked like the acid/lime green. Hadn't even read the description.

The bed is a full size.

• nhb22
    10 years ago

I see what you mean. I have looked at the bedding on many different sites and the bedding does vary in color, slightly. I need 2 Twins. I guess I will chance it.

BTW- I have found the best price on Bedding.com. They have Free shipping and 20% off thru today.

• grlwprls
    10 years ago

There's a navy/"mint" (read a spring green) damask like pattern at pbTeen. Their duvets actually do fairly well. My daughter has two. They aren't the softest, but I wouldn't hesitate to fold one at the foot of the bed.

• KevinMP
    10 years ago

If you're inclined for navy, you may want to run by a store and check out the new Ralph Lauren bedding. Here's one, for instance:

Here is a link that might be useful: RL Deauville

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

newhome--did you see the Overstock listing for it?

http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/City-Scene-Milan-Reversible-3-piece-Comforter-Set/7706964/product.html

grl, I was ready to pull the trigger the other night, but then I looked at PB Teen and saw a royal navy geometric print. My dh liked that one better. Now I'm torn. So, I decided to go with the original one from PB, logged on, and bam, the F/Q was out. But this am? It's back.

So, if anyone wants to vote between the first one at the top of this thread and this one, I'd appreciate your feedback. I'm sticking with the blue paint for the furniture, not too fun, but I don't want it to look out of place either.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kevin, that is gorgeous!! However, my pockets are not that deep. If it was for my bedroom (or a client's) I would certainly want that! But, it is for just one of the adult-childrens'/guest rooms. Thanks for posting that.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

With the linear look of the 'bamboo' on the furniture, I much prefer your first choice - the floral from PB. This one makes me a bit dizzy to look at it.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Arghhh, while I was ordering it, somehow it disappeared from my cart, well, at least after I hit the final "enter" button on the order. And there are no more in this size. I will keep going back because it might reappear since it was gone last night but came back this am.

my3, exactly my thought.

• nhb22
    10 years ago

Bee - Yes, I saw the overstock listing. It's $10 more than the other sight, plus I get another 20% off. When ordering two, that really adds up to a good savings. ;)

Saw this on the Overstock review:
    "i like the comforter set a lot but be aware there's no color green in the pattern "

UPDATE:
    I ordered! Got to comforter sets (comes with pillow shams) for $111.00! Saved almost $50 from ordering through beddingstyle.com. The comforters come directly from the bedding manufacturer, Revman International. I hope I have no problems with them.
    I ordered white tailored bedskirts from Overstock, along with window seat cushions in a yellow that match the walls exactly.

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 11:41

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Bee,
    are you planning to use the PB duvet cover with a top sheet? If not, the fabric may be too scratchy to have right on the skin. Just asking because I use my duvets instead of regular sheets not as a comforter/quilt.

• grlwprls
    10 years ago

I got the Natalia duvet in midnight; the shams are back ordered until March 2014 (!!) from pbTeen. It really just a glorified dog throw, so I didn't want to spend too much.

I also got the Peyton in Royal Navy, but I think the blue might be too bright...that's what returns are for, right?

I mainly got the Peyton in case I chicken out mixing a floral with my Chiang Mai dragon pillows. Honestly, if I had to criticize myself, it would be that I lack confidence mixing fabrics. Even when I would "buy the catalog page" from say, PB, when I would get all the pillows and what nots on my bed, I would stand back and think it looked crazy.

Too humid and too windy to spray today, so I'm stuck organizing the junk room :-)

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good Job newhome, nobody loves a bargain more than me!

nosoccer, well, we won't be using it at all, since IT IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!!! Seriously, how the heck does it just go poof out of my cart while I'm ordering it? But to answer your question, no, the fabric will not touch the skin. It is just an extra layer, well it would have been an extra layer. The plan is to have a thin quilt in white over sheets, and this at the bottom to be pulled up for warmth if needed.

grl--I hear ya....I NEED TO PAINT! I had no opportunity today. It is finally less humid but I had a long meeting this afternoon. And is quite breezy out there! ugh.
    And can you explain how the heck something is backordered until NEXT March? That's nuts.

• nhb22
    10 years ago

Thanks, I will take a photo and post when I return from Alaska in two weeks unless the comforters arrive before I leave on Friday.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Bee, I have had that happen before, especially with PB and PBTeen and kids when I used to order from them. Start checking ebay in a week or two, and also keep checking the PB site in case they have returns.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

I meant to add...don't trust PB to have it available 'next March' either. And have you considered ordering the King if it is available and cutting it down? Sometimes a F/Q can be a bit short for the side drape so I don't mind the extra fabric.

• nhb22
    10 years ago

Also, do a search on the brand and color of the comforter. That's how I found the best price for mine. It was originally found at Belk. Found it at about 5 different stores.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was thinking that about the King.

I'm usually pretty good at sleuthing brand and color, but isn't PB, just "PB"?

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hmm, interesting, I posted an update, but it isn't showing. Apologies if this ends up being a duplicate.

But, I found a comforter on JCP's website. Looked nice, not a blue but Pantone Emerald Green. That color will work with the navy furniture. I guess I have my accent color now. :)

Got it for a steal, $57 including tax, and another 4% cash back from ebates. Free shipping and it is returnable.

It was originally $220. Here's a picture

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I saw those yesterday when running errands! I thought of you, but it was a departure from your original idea even though they were on clearance.

I also saw some things on One King's Lane. Good prices on the ginger jars.

Here is a link that might be useful: Asian Fusion sale

• grlwprls
    10 years ago

My pbTeen duvets arrived today: the Peyton trellis, the Quincy scallop and the Natalia floral. With my Chiang Mai I am rejecting the Natalia floral, but the others are great.

I am excited to see how your Pantone duvet works out!

• grlwprls
    10 years ago

Has your emerald comforter arrived yet?

My linens are here and it is making really rethink my kelly green. Now I am definitely leaning orange or maybe even a pale blue or aqua. I think I need to go right over to the lacquer stockist on Monday morning and make a final decision. I just don't like turquoise...

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nothing yet. Maybe this Monday or Tuesday. The blue version also reappeared on JCP's site. So, I went ahead and ordered that too, just to compare. Got it even cheaper since I had a $10 coupon! I'm painting today!

Have you looked at Land of Nod's bedding? Cute stuff!

Love that dragon!

Here is a link that might be useful: Land of Nod

This post was edited by beekeeperswife on Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 13:37

• nhb22
    10 years ago

There was a post about you MIA, Beekeeperswife and it reminded me that I never checked back on this thread after going to Alaska. How did your bedding turn out?

I was a tad disappointed in the bedding that I ordered. Thought about shipping it back, but realized it would be more trouble and cost to make the effort. So I kept it. Looks better now that everything is coming together. Plus, I have to remember how cheap they were. :-)