Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drapes: Where do you attach the brackets?

Posted by nosoccermom (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 19:24

This may be an odd question, but when you "widen" your windows with drapes, where do you attach the brackets? Right now, the brackets are kind of above the window frame while the rod extends about 15 inches. That's also where the curtains now hang --- but that way I can't close the curtains. If the brackets are all the way at the end of the rod, doesn't that look strange, too?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drapes: Where do you attach the brackets?

You typically attach them at the ends of the rod. Then, depending upon how long the rod is, and thus the weight, you may need additional supports in between the ends - one in the middle, or sometimes two equally spaced between the ends. Hard to say as it depends upon the size of your window. And you are right, without a traverse rod you can't open/close past a bracket.

One thing you could do if you want to leave the brackets where they are would be get two more panels and place them inside the brackets so that you could close them and still have the panels on the outside of your current brackets making the window appear larger.

o

beeps is right you typically attach at the ends, but don't worry you won't see them (so they won't look funny) since the first "attachment" is placed outside the bracket towards the finial and the rest are placed inside. this way when you pull the curtains close they don't pull away from the end of the rod. i think a picture might make that clearer...

o

Thank you! I knew there was an "obvious" solution.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here