Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimless07

I think it's a dumb paint question, but I gotta ask.

Aims
9 years ago

If I am doing white cabinets in the kitchen and we do crown molding in there too, I am assuming they should be the same color of white? Or is that incorrect.

We are using Sherwin Williams for our paint. We are doing our island in SW 7674 (Peppercorn) on our island. I am excited about that color, if a person can be excited about paint!

Comments (11)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd do the crown molding in the same white as the rest of your trim, not the cabinets.

• nostalgicfarm
    9 years ago

Not answering your question, but I painted the master bedroom peppercorn....LOVE IT

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

That depends on the molding...is it attached to the cabinet and separate from the rest of the trim? If so it should match the cabinet. If, however it is at the ceiling and runs into crown around the rest of the room that's the trim color, it could match the trim.

For example, my kitchen has 2 rows of crown...one at the cabinet and one at the ceiling. The cabinet one matches the cabinets, the ceiling one matches the rest of the trim in the room.

But here is an example where the cabinet trim does not match the ceiling trim even though they both touch the ceiling.

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Medfield Kitchen & Bath Remodelers Mitchell Construction Group

Here is an example where they put the crown and the soffit in the same color, making the cabinets appear shorter.

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Fairfax Station Design-Build Firms Daniels Design & Remodeling

And here's an example where the crown is used as an accent matching neither.

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Boise Design-Build Firms Strite design + remodel

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 20:20

• amck2
    9 years ago

Annie posted some fine examples of different ways to paint your crown.

I'm chiming in to say that my DD painted her kitchen cabs SW Peppercorn. It's a great shade.

• CaroleOH
    9 years ago

I agree if your cabinets directly connect to the crown, you should paint the crown the same color as the cabinets. It will make your cabinets feel more finished as the crown will be seen as part of the cabinet. I think if you have a white cabinet in one shade and do the crown in another and the two are attached it will look off.

If the crown is along the ceiling and you have wall or soffit between the crown and the cabinet, I would match the trim in the house.

Because whites are so crazy - I just gave up and painted my cabinets and trim all BM White Dove so I didn't have to try and match whites.

• Aims
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions.

Amck and Nostalgic, I was debating on whether to paint all the cabinets Peppercorn and then paint the island white like my inspirational kitchen which I posted a link too. Our kitchen is going to essentially be an extra wide galley kitchen with cabinets on both sides with a 10 foot island running parallel right in the middle. I was concerned the space might look a little dark with all the grey? Thoughts?

Also, if a white paint was used in your Peppercorn room, can you tell me what it was? Not sure what shade of white we are going to use on the cabinets yet. We did pick SW7511-Bungalow Beige to go throughout the home. As much as I would love to paint every room it's own color, that won't be in our budget.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspirational kitchen

• Aims
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops, double post.

This post was edited by aimless07 on Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 18:05

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

aimless:

If your perimeter cabinets are white, I would paint all the trim in your kitchen and open concept adjoining rooms the same white. I much prefer your idea of having the island in Peppercorn with the perimeter cabinets in white rather than the other way around like in your link. I have read that the island is an accent so should either be the richer darker colour/stain or the same colour as perimeter cabinets. If your island is a different colour than your perimeter cabinets, try to make the island look more like a piece of furniture too.

Carol

• Aims
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank your for your advice Carol. I think I will stick with doing the outer cabinets white and the island gray. In the long run, if gray goes "out of style" it would be much easier to change that than to change all the outer cabinets.

• bridget helm
    9 years ago

You could paint all lower cabs including island peppercorn with the uppers in white. The pic I posted is stained lowers with white uppers- just to give an example - sort of

As for the crown. If crown touches cabinets then please make it the same color as cabs.

I don't mind bright white casings and cream crown if the cabinets are cream but the rest if the house has bright white casing. But I like it better if the casings, trim, crown are all the same. But mixing whites is ok to do if there's not a huge difference in shades of white

• bridget helm
    9 years ago

This is a mix of dark of white cabinets