Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
That was quick! Rough Linen here

Posted by holly-kay (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 19:22

Tuesday evening I ordered the summer bed from Rough Linen. When I got back to my shop after doing my weekly banking today, there was a large package for me. I couldn't believe that it could be my linens already but it was.

The pillow slips, sheet, and summer cover were simply wrapped in white tissue paper and tied with a lovely chocolate brown grosgrain ribbon and they smelled heavenly thanks to the lavender bag that was included.

I couldn't wait til they were washed and dried. I had to put them on the bed right away. The sheet is huge and the pillow slips have an envelope closure that so many don't. The summer cover has a wonderful border on all four sides. The only problem is my mattress is quite heavy so it was a bit difficult to get them tucked well.

I can't wait to go to bed!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: That was quick! Rough Linen here

Oh, I adore pillow cases with envelope enclosures. I wish all sheet manufacturers would make them that way! Now I’ll have to check out Rough Linen, even though I just love my oh-so-cool Shabby Chic sheets from Target.

o

Ooh, never heard of them before, but they are gorgeous! Please come back with a full report.

o

Oh, I adore pillow cases with envelope enclosures. I wish all sheet manufacturers would make them that way! Now I’ll have to check out Rough Linen, even though I just love my oh-so-cool Shabby Chic sheets from Target.

o

o

Have you ever ordered from Zappos? The second you hang up the phone with them, or hit the submit button if ordering on line, the doorbell rings, and there's your stuff. I'm convinced there is a Zappos guy on every corner in America with their entire inventory.
Sounds like it's going to be tough for you to get out of bed in the morning, HK. I do believe that bedding is one thing, out of very few, worth spending $ on.

o

Tib, I agree because a good night's sleep is so important! A pic of the bed with just the linens on.

o

Here is a pic of how they were packaged.

o

Oooh, sooooooo jealous. It looks divine.

And now I remember your bedroom! The mirrors and lamps look great!

Btw, did you get your DH a latex pillow too? I can definitely tell that's your Natura on the left there.

o

I was going to wait for him to lay his pumpkin head on it before I ordered one for him. He is at a steam show and will be home tomorrow night but I think I'm going to go ahead and order it. Nice bedding and pillows doesn't mean a thing to him but I just think I need the pair.

o

Holly-Kay - your bed looks lovely! Bonne nuit:)

o

Merci, OB2B. I love it!

o

Aaaaahhh. I know I need to go ahead and order, but I just paid thousands to the dentist(ugh-not in the least as satisfying as purchasing those sheets!) and feel as though I should wait. Then, I wonder why I don't treat myself once in a while.

Cannot wait to hear how wonderfully you sleep tonight! :)

o

Oh, and did you get the Orkney or the smooth?

o

Nice!!

o

They look gorgeous. Enjoy your sleep and report back please. Thanks for introducing me to Rough Linen, I'm scouring the site now!

o

Cyn, I went with the smooth strong white, It is just a beautiful creamy white. I sent for samples months ago and they changed the smooth white to be closer in color to the Orkney. The Orkney white was a warmer white and now so is the smooth white. I do want to get the pillow shams for my back pillows.

o

Thanks! I cannot wait to hear about your blissful rest!

o

Enjoy!

o

Holly-Kay will be late to the party this morning as she is having trouble getting out of bed!

o

Happy to report that I had a heavenly night's sleep. I adore my new linens. They feel so wonderful, even more splendid than I imagined. The summer cover was just the perfect weight, substantial yet not heavy or confining.

I am sure that not everyone would like the feel of linen but this is the textural experience that I longed for. Better even than the wonderful sheets I slept on as a youngster.

If you are in the market for new bedding this is surely the way to go.

o

Tib, too funny! :)

So, Holly-kay, guess I will be ordering today! Remember FoxesPad's thread on buying dining room tables? I just realized that it isn't just chairs I can't resist. I am always buying linens for the beds or tables. Sigh. Silly, I suppose.

o

Cyn, my things are bedding and kitchenware. Fortunately I'm not a clothes horse!

Yay Holly!

o

Cyn, do you know what you are ordering yet? The lavender sachet that was sent along was tied up in the natural Orkney and I didn't care for it. I will be anxious to see what you pick,

Too funny on being a chair addict. My DD and I are constantly scouring our consignment shop for chairs.

My passions are china, table and bed linens, old silver, and desks for some crazy reason. I gave oldest DD my secretary desk and my youngest DD has dibs on my other beautiful desk. I can't wait to shop for a replacement.

o

holly-kay- how did your bed linens sleep? I had first seen the Rough Linen line on Allison's Atticmag site and wondered about them. I also would like to know if you find the sheet and pillow slips hot at all. I am very interested in ordering as well. Spent money on Peacock Alley bedding only to have it draw up considerably, so will not be going that route again. Can't wait to get your feedback. And your room looks beautiful by the way.

o

Sis, the linen has a superb hand, the finish is lovely, and it doesn't sleep hot at all. I am especially intolerant of heat so the fact that they felt so wonderfully cool was a pleasure.

I was especially surprised that there was no wrinkling although that could be because I slept so soundly. Rough Linens will be the only linens I purchase from here on out.

They aren't fancy sheets they are just so simply elegant. I always dress my bed in the morning with a coverlet and shams but honestly the linen is so good looking I could skip that and just have the linens.

o

Holly, I am going back and forth! I know I want white since all my linens and towels are white. I am debating between the summer bed and just getting two sheets and pillowcases. Any thoughts on that from anyone?

o

Holly - what was it about the natural Orkney that you didn't like, the colour or was it more the texture/feel?

Glad you enjoyed them so much!

o

Cyn, I think you would be happy either way. I will be using my summer cover in lieu of a top sheet this winter.

The summer cover in queen size is 105 X 100 and the queen flat is 96 X 118. I debated also about which way I should go and I don't think you can go wrong either way. The two sheets would be a bit less expensive than going the summer bed route. I just went to the site and two queen sheets and two queen pillowslips would be $402 compared to $464 for the summer bed. I plan on eventually buying another set and I will go with two flats and the pillowslips.

I do like the lovely deep hem the whole way around the summer cover but I don't think that makes it worth the extra money..

o

It was the color of it. When I fist looked at the sheets I was considering natural but when I bought my quilt I knew white was the way to go.

The Orkney definitely has a coarser appearance and feel so I am glad I went with the smooth white. I'm sure the Orkney would also be a beautiful choice.

o

hollykay- so are you saying that you didn't get the summer cover but two queen sheets instead? I think I'm going to get the summer cover, the sheet and pillow slips.

o

Just saw your opening post and realized you did get the cover. So sorry!

o

So happy for you Sis, you will love the summer bed. I am glad that's what I got. Since I have one summer cover next time I will get two flats and the pillowslips.

You will also love how quickly you receive your order. I wasn't expecting mine until mid to late next week.

o

Gorgeous. This is something I know I could not splurge on, but I sure can appreciate it!

o

This is a dangerous site for me. I keep learning about nice things that I probably never even heard of before, and now think I have to have them. Things that are way too expensive for me. That summer coverlet sounds so perfect.

o

No worries akl and music. I have been a saver and very thrifty all my life. I turned 60 last year and figured if I don't enjoy what I have worked, invested, and saved for all my life now I never will. This is a month early birthday present to me from me! :)

o

I know nothing about linen, so I'm wondering about washing and drying them. Do they come out of the washer like a load of heavy, wet towels? Do they require a long, low dry cycle?

o

hollykay- I was wondering what you think the difference is between the Orkney white bed cover is vs. the smooth white. I think I would rather have the heavier of the two since I won't be using a sheet and fall is almost here. Thanks so much!

o

Sis, I was wondering that, too.

Holly, you and I are kindred spirits. I have been thinking the same now that I am in my 60s! Good for us! I never did order one of the wonderful Kinzig lamps, though. Maybe for the new year!

o

May, according to the instructions cold machine wash with mild detergent. Preferably line dry which I can't do because I don't have a wash line and two our property is heavily wooded and the birds would have a field day bombing my fresh wash. Dry on medium, no over drying or over crowding.

Sis and Cyn, I sent for the rough linen sample card and chose from that. The Orkney seems to be looser as in more space between threads. IMO, the Smooth Signature strong white seems like it would be warmer because the weave is tighter but it certainly doesn't sleep hot.

The Orkney is described as having a homespun texture. I like the strong white from the sample and from sleeping on it but I can't realistically compare the two. Maybe you should send for a sample? The card has a sample of the Orkney in natural, white, and black. The St Bart's in blue white and natural, and the Smooth Signature in natural and white.

Cyn, I knew we were kindred spirits when you posted the beautiful Kinzig lamps from Artful Home. They must be closing out their inventory of Kinzig lamps because when they had a sale this summer there were only a few models listed.

o

Oh no! Maybe I had better not wait until Christmas. Yes, that is when I knew, too! I was so glad when you got your lamp!

Oh and another idea for the linens-I wash our sheets in Mrs. Meyer's lavender laundry soap. I am not sure I can really smell the lavender when I go to bed, but I love the idea and imagine I can. It is a little pricey, but I only use it for sheets, so the 68 load bottle for $16 lasts me a year or more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lavender soap

o

Cyn, thank you for the tip for the lavender laundry soap! The linen sachet that RL includes made the sheets smell so good. I have been tucking it on top of my pillow during the day so I can smell the lavender while I'm reading.

o

Thanks hollykay!

o

Holly Kay

I'm glad you are enjoying your new linens. Your room is just so pretty. My linens came in 2 days also and I am on the East Coast. The package was like a Xmas present the way it was wrapped. I had called Trish since for some reason I couldn't get checkout to work and I was glad I spoke with her. The sheet I bought last year was from a different vendor and the strong white she has now is more of a creamy off white. She made sure I had the correct white for the pillow slips.

I bought the summer blanket in the St Barts in the pale blue. It's more blue green and I use it as a bedspread. I think it is a little heavier than the sheet. I used the sheet all last summer as a blanket

So , Cyn, yes you can use the sheet as a blanket. When you order go ahead and call in your order and talk with Trish. She is as lovely as her linens.
Trbbix LOL about Zappos. I have the same experience with shoes.com , you order and when you check your mail for confirmation, they are already shipped.

o

as you know, I LOVE my linen sheets. I'll never, ever go back to cotton -- linen is just the very nicest to sleep in. Cool, comforting, such a wonderful texture.

I have them both from RH and Rough Linen. The flat sheet I bought from Rough Linen is fantastic -- no more messing with the stupid elastic on the fitted sheets. And Ms. Rose is so nice to deal with.

Congratulations on your new purchase. I think my next will the summer cover from Rough Linen.

o

Denali, yes the new linen is creamier than the sample on the card but I knew it would be because Tricia had that on her website. I'm glad as the creamier version works better in my room.

Isn't the St Barts lovely? I love the SB blue but my coverlet is a much different shade of blue. I do want to get sham covers also. Maybe I could use the SB during the summer as the top cover.

Violet, I was thinking of you when I ordered my sheets because I found RL on a thread where we were looking for crisp sheets and you commented on how lovely your linen sheets are. Then Cyn posted again about the linen sheets and that made be finalize my purchase. Thank you and I love them.

o

hee! am glad. I hope you enjoy them.

o

I finalized and placed my order this morning. Can't wait to get them!

o

Did you order the Orkney or the smooth?

I am on the East Coast, ordered them on Tuesday and had them Friday. You will love them and please post pics when they arrive.

o

I ordered the summer cover in white Orkney. When I was on her website, she did say the Orkney was heavier which is why I chose that and the fact I like the homespun appearance.

Do you recommend washing the cover before using it? I plan to wash the pillow slips and sheet but wasn't sure about the cover. Thanks!

o

I'm in Virginia so hoping it may be here on Thursday!

o

Sis2

I'm in VA also. I ordered on a Monday and they were here by Wed. Hope you love them.

o

Sis2, I always wash bedding before using except this time. I wanted to use it right away and when you see how gorgeous it looks and how good it smells, well decide for yourself.....I also saw on her website how others used it right away too.

I am so anxious to see how you like the Orkney. I am thinking that when I order a second set I may order the Orkney also.

o

denali- I can't wait for my linens to come. Bedding is one of my weaknesses I'm afraid, but hoping that this will cure me. I love simple styling and good quality.

hollykay- If the bedding doesn't need washing in order to soften it, I'll probably do what you did and put it right on. Do you use the cover by itself or do you use a top sheet? I am actually excited about getting rid of my top sheet to simplify things. However, I don't want to have to wash my cover weekly either or the duvet cover should I get one of those. Would love to hear what others do as well that have this bedding.

o

How about that! I am in Virginia, too! I placed my order today, also, and added a tablecloth and runner. I am so hopeless. I expect I will want those sheets for every bed in the house!

I suspect mine will take more than two days, though, because I chose regular shipping rather than two-day. Silly, but I saved a little!

Thanks to all you enablers here! I truly appreciate your support. ;)

o

I'm thinking hollykay should get some kind of kick-back! After all it's no telling how much business Rough Linen received after her post. It should be worth a duvet cover don't you think lol!

o

Lol! I'm sure there has been a run on linens this week!

Sis, I am using the summer cover as my top sheet as they are basically the same material. The difference is size and the deep hem that runs the whole way around the summer cover. I'm not sure that I will order another flat sheet I will probably just use the summer cover all winter and buy a Summer Bed in Orkney this spring. Bedding is my weakness too but RL is the cure!

Cyn, I love the shams with the shell buttons so I want to order them and I just have to order the pinafore in black. It will be the perfect apron for me. Cyn, you Will want them for every room. I don't even like the thought of putting my percale sheets back on after experiencing these. I may need to order by Orkney Summer Bed early.

o

Holly, I'm glad you are enjoying the bedding. You will love the pinafore too. That was my first purchase -- something I was sure I would use and enjoy and a way to check out the fabric. I'm planning on getting the new apron style in black for my husband. I made the mistake of ordering a tea towel with my bedding and want more -- and placemats. I guess what I'm telling you is what you've already discovered -- it's easy to keep going back for more!

Cyn, what did you order? I have the natural Orkney cover and the smooth white sheet and pillow slips. I have two black dogs, so the white cover didn't seem like a good option. St. Bart's blue didn't go with the blue we already have in the room, and I just liked the homespun look too. I was concerned that the Orkney could be a bit rough for bedding, but the pinafore helped convince me to try it. We love it. It wasn't rough in the beginning (despite the name) and it keeps getting softer. Hope you have yours soon and enjoy them.

o

Lascatx, I ordered the pinafore and another flat sheet today. After sleeping on the linen I wanted at least one more flat sheet so I always have a fresh one while the other is being washed. I am anxious for the pinafore. I am sure I will use it often and it will be very handy when I gather eggs.

Cyn, I also just ordered the Mrs Meyers lavender detergent because I wanted a mild soap for my new sheets, It will be here Thursday so my first washing will be Friday evening.

o

Oh, we are such a good team!

Lascatx, I ordered the Orkney white summer bed (white Orkney summer cover, smooth white sheet and pillowcases), a white Orkney tablecloth and a natural Orkney runner. I debated about the Orkney natural for the summer bed, but was worried that I might not love it with the blue in the bedroom. Our guest bedroom downstairs may end up with the white set if I decide to order another in the natural Orkney. Downstairs, the bed is just a metal frame with the mattress and box springs, so I will probably NEED to order the bed skirt (both rooms on the main level have high antique beds) AND we are having about 30 neighbors over on the 30th for an "Say Good-bye to Summer and Hello to New Neighbors" party. Thinking the pinafore would look adorable. ;). Of corse, so would 30+ linen napkins from Tricia! That isn't going to happen. :(

Holly, yes, I like those shams, too. A set for the guest room would be so nice.

Yep, give a moose a muffin...

o

holly-kay- if you have a Target nearby, they sell the Mrs. Meyers soap. I use the dish liquid and I love it! If and when I recover from my first order I want to get another bed sheet for the same reason you stated. Oh I can't wait for my linens and the lavender!

o

Thanks Sis! I will look for it at our Target. I have Amazon Prime so I didn't have to pay for shipping but holy cow that stuff is expensive.

I am so excited for you to get your linens also. I know you will love them. Next summer I am not even going to put my coverlet on my bed. The linen is beautiful enough to stand on it's own.

I like how the lavender sachet makes the bedding smell so good. It's a nice touch.

o

Holly-kay, I have the bedding and pinafore, but I am jealous of the chickens. I would love to have some, but they aren't allowed here. Even if they were, I'd have a coupe of dogs who would likely think they were fair game. But yes, the pinafore will be great.

Amazon Prime is more expensive for some tings -- like liquids that are heavier to ship. The Mrs. Meyers is in a group by itself in our Target -- near, but not together with, the other laundry soaps.

Cyn, the pinafore would be adorable. I think a group of 30+ guests qualifies for the good stuff, but it would be the Vanity Fair or similar paper napkins for me. ;)

Yes -- moose a muffin or mouse a cookie club forming here! LOL

o

I agree-no expensive napkins!

o

I was looking at bedding on Houzz this weekend (as one does...) and came across Rough Linen -- so this is very timely.

I love nice bedding. Now I really want the "bed makeover." ;)

o

I think my next purchase may be the bolster covers. She makes a very good point about putting bolsters in the space between the wall/headboard and the rest of the pillows.

o

Oooh..I love bolsters. Had one growing up-best pillow ever. Wonder why I didn't grab it when we emptied the parents' house. Sigh.

I. Need. To. Just. Stop.

Or not. :)

o

Lascatx and everyone in the Give a Moose...Club, I have a question on the pinafores-they are basically one size (up to size 14) it seems. I am about 5'3-4" and a size 4 when clothes run true to size (cut large, I am a 2, cut small, a 6). Will the pinafore swim on me do you think? I wonder how big the girls' size 8-10 is. Maybe I should call and ask, but thought I would run it past you (and anyone else who bought one) first.

o

Lascatx, if your city council ever gives permission to keep chickens I would highly recommend it. Our girls are sweeties. The one I call Sweetie Girl will hop onto my lap if we sit outside. They all would gladly come inside if we allowed it. We get the most gorgeous eggs from them and they are easy to care for.

Stella, if you buy from RL once you will be a convert for life. The linen is heavenly. I have spent so much money trying to replicate the feel of sheets when I was a youngster. Rough Linens, are all that, and more.

Violet, I love the bolsters too. I never thought about how much more comfortable that could make a bed. I do want the pillow shams. They are so pretty!

Cyn, order the pinafore in petite. I am only 5'2" and unfortunately a size 10 or 12 and that's what I ordered. It will fit you more loosely than on me. I will probably look like I am busting out all over but I needed the petite or it would be down mid calf. Better yet call Tricia and see what she thinks.

o

StellaM, I'm sorry. I'm not a good judge on the size for you. I had the opposite problem, I'm 5'12" and sent mine back to have them put longer straps on it. I wore mine when working on costumes for the high school musical. The big pockets and wide straps, no ties make it so easy to put on, take off, work in and adapt to different uses. I may have to get one in black too.

Holly-kay -- where did you live as a child and how did you experience linen bedding? I'd never heard of linen for bedding before reading about Rough Linen online maybe 2-3 years ago.

o

Lascatx, I am from PA and have always lived in this area. The sheets I was trying to duplicate were certainly not linen. I was trying to duplicate the lovely crispness of the sheets my DM washed and line dried. There was nothing more heavenly than crawling into bed between those crispy, crinkly sheets and inhaling the beautiful outdoor scent. They must have been percale but the percale sheets I just bought didn't have the body or crispness of what I remember.

o

Oh. I misunderstood. The only people I have heard of sleeping on linen sheets have been in Europe or the sheets have been. I remember hanging laundry on the line as a child helping my mom. I wonder if the birds ever left calling cards on the laundry. I don't remember it if they did, but I feel certain they would here. But we aren't allowed to have outdoor clotheslines either.

o

No problem Lascatx. When I re-read my post it did sound like I had slept on linen.

I have been searching for years to duplicate the great feel of my childhood sheets and have failed miserably. I have eight sets of sheets and only the percale set that I bought last month is close. I am giving my DDs every set but the percale. Now that I have tried the RL I really don't have to keep looking. They are more cost effective in the long run.

I have been checking in all day to see if Cyn and Sis received their linens yet. I so hope they are delighted with them.

o

Holly, I just received an email saying mine had shipped, so maybe I will have them by the beginning of the week-remember, I didn't opt for 2-day shipping! I have been checking here, too. Hope Sis gets hers before then. I think she ordered before I did.

o

Can you tell that I am excited for you? I honestly can't wait to climb into bed every night and I hope you both have the same experience!

o

Mine just shipped today as well so I'm guessing they won't be here until Monday. Will let you know as soon as I get them. Moving my youngest child into college on Saturday which is hard for me so my sheets will be a nice pick me up the first of the week. Don't think the empty nest is for me, lol!

o

Yippee! I received mine today. Hope you did, too, Sis.

Oh my Holly, you were not exaggerating about the wonderful lavender scent! I took out the tablecloth and runner and closed the box. I am going to change sheets tomorrow, so I will wake up Monday (first day back to school-ugh) feeling pampered and rested! I cannot wait!

Oh, and I have been thinking about the difference in our moms' percale sheets and ours today. I wonder if the fact that they were line dried is the difference. I didn't put my Thomas Lee sheets in the dryer last week and they are much crisper and more like what I remember than they are when I dry them in the machine. Hmmm...

Anyway, thanks for the push! I am over the moon!

o

Cyn, when the temp hits 40 degrees, I only line dry my sheets (I also have Thomas Lee sheets, btw), and it makes SUCH a huge difference in the feel and smell of the sheets. I love line-dried sheets. If it's sunny on turnover days, I line dry them as well in order to treat my tenants to line-dried sheets. The sun also dries them so quickly! And of course, the energy savings are great, as is the effect on the electric bill. In addition, they actually wrinkle a lot less when line dried.

One suggestion for your first night, at least, with your new Rough Linen sheets: take a shower just before getting into bed. There is nothing like climbing into fresh sheets with a fresh, clean bod!

o

Haha, Tib, that is my plan exactly-squeaky clean me with brand new sheets. Heaven!

o

Holly-Kay - I'm sure you've washed these at least a few times. My fear - with a California king sized mattress - is always shrinkage. What have you seen / what can you tell us about that?

One of my happiest memories is DMIL #1's wonderful starched sheets. I tried for years to replicate them and never mind ironing and starching sheets. Unfortunately, DH#2 - who never complains about anything - loves the flannels sheets so much. We have (sigh) made it through the summer with them still on (and me going through menopause).

Boy oh boy would I love to sneak these sheets on and triple up on his comforter, on his side of the bed..... :)

o

OB the sheets wash wonderfully. I used Mrs Meyers lavender aroma therapy laundry detergent and it is grand. The pillow slip shrunk just a smidgen, and as they were a tad bit large at first they now fit perfectly.

I didn't notice any shrinkage in the sheet but the sheets are huge! I honestly can't imagine them not being perfect for your bed as far as size. The rough linen website gives dimensions of each size.

Cyn I received my package with the pinnie and another sheet on Friday morning when I got the mail at my shop. That means they actually arrived Thursday, amazing considering they ship from CA. My pinnie (adult petite) is too short for my liking so I am going to gift it to my DD and order the adult large. I love the crisscrossed strap design of it and can't wait to get the longer length. You are taller and more slender than I am so maybe you don't want the petite as it is definitely petite as far as length goes.

I do think line drying is the way to go and I agree that line drying adds to the crispness. I wish we didn't have so many trees. I would love to hang my sheets out.

o

Oldbat2be, I haven't noticed any shrinkage either and Holly-kay isn't kidding about the sheets being HUGE. They tuck deeply and firmly under our mattress with room to spare. I just measured and the mattress is 12" thick and the sheet easily has another 12" tucked under on the end I pulled out. My husband didn't think he would like an unfitted bottom sheet, but as soon as we put them on, he was sold. He quickly found out they stay on better than the elastic bottom sheets.

o

lascatx, I recently learned that hotels use flat sheets on the bottom. Flat sheets are also a heck of a lot easier to fold!

o

I am so glad everyone is happy with their sheets. Now here is another product to make things more comfortable. My mattress pad is from Snugfleece Woolens.. It's just another player in a comfortable bed. There are several places that sell it and you can do a google search for them. I always thought wool would be too hot, but it is not at all.
I began several years ago building my dream bed and putting it together piece by piece. First was my iron bed from Brass Beds of VA, then came my latex mattress, next up was the snugfleece mattress pad, then the latex pillows. After that I got one Rough Linen sheet to use as a top sheet, then this year I bought the Summer Bed. I am in heaven at night.

Here is a link that might be useful: mattress pad

o

denali is right, those wool pads are soooooooooo great.

o

Denali, I have been building my dream bed also. The first was my Cloud Luxe mattress, then Tib suggested my wonderful latex pillows. I just bought a cotton mattress pad as a temporary fix as my pad that is currently on it creases and drives me nutso. It is so uncomfortable. I still want to find the perfect mattress pad and the one you linked may be the solution. I originally wanted to go with wool but read that there is often a sheepy smell. Did you find that to be the case?

Tib, I agree about the flat sheet being so easy to fold. I won't be going back to fitted sheets again.

o

Denali, Do you have the cotton backed or a polyester backed version. I would like for it to be washable because I don't want to inhale dry cleaning odors but I would rather have a cotton backing.

Which model did you choose and would you go with the same one again?

o

Do any of you live in the subtropics? I can't imagine sleeping on a wool mattress pad for at least 10 months out of the year here.

o

Now. Just. Stop! Yikes, Denali! I am not going to click on that link...not today anyway. ;)

Tib, the bed is made and ready. The white Orkney cover is such a lovely creamy white shade and I love the way the bed and room look with the summer cover! I cannot wait to crawl into those sheets. I am thinking of taking my shower and going to bed around 5pm. Hehheh.

Holly, why thank you! No one has ever called me 'taller' at 5'3" or so (shrinking a little maybe). I used to be slender, skinny even, but now, not so much. Menopause is not a pretty sight, I am afraid. Just can't seem to lose the 10-15 pounds. In truth, it should be 20-25 pounds, but I have given up on that at this point.

I hope Sis got her package and is as happy as we are.

o

Cyn- I received mine yesterday too! Plan on putting mine on Monday after I wash the sheet and pillowslips. They look really nice and I love the texture of the bed cover which has a nice nubby look which I like. I think I'm going to order the Myriad curtains next. My stark white curtains don't look good with the off white linen. Yes- the saying about giving a mouse of cookie is so true!

o

Holly- I so agree about the menopause thing and at age 55 and being only 5'2" I agree about the weight thing totally! I really believe if I were taller the weight issue would be non existent, lol!

o

Oh shucks! Just realized it was Cyn talking about menopause and weight so ignore the post hollykay!

o

Well Sis, it may as well been me saying it because I am past that stage also. I used to be 5'2" but now 5'1" and I found that 25 lbs that Cyn is trying to lose. Maybe if I was put on a rack and stretched the pounds would look better on me.

Honestly a whole day in my bed would be a small glimpse of heaven but my darn pupsters refuse to cooperate. To them 7:15 IS sleeping in. I do find myself getting ready for bed earlier though.

Lascatx I have heard that wool is great at keeping temperatures normal and wicks away moisture but I also can't imagine wool in the summer so I will read reviews before deciding.

o

At 62, I am just going to relax. I have a friend who says women began to gain weight as they aged way back in the caveman days because we couldn't out-compete young women for food, so we needed to carry extra fat to avoid starvation. She says we are genetically predisposed to weight gain. Ha. Sounds good to me. ;)

Now, if only we became taller as we gained. That would be cool!

o

I put my bedding on today and didn't wash anything except the pillowslips. I just love the linen! I had a small glitch however. When I went to put the bedcover on, I noticed about 4 purplish stains on it, almost like smudges of some kind. I sprayed them with oxiclean and dabbed them with a warm wet cloth and they did come out thank goodness! I was dreading having to send it back and wait for a replacement.

Excited about sleeping with the new bedding tonight. If anyone is thinking about this bedding, it really is good quality.

o

Sis, I am so glad that the spots came out! I imagine you felt a bit heartsick when you saw them. The sheet and bedcover looked so pristine and smelled so heavenly from the sachet.

Sleeping on the linen just seems to get better. I can barely wait to get into bed in the evenings.

o

Sweet dreams sis2two! This is such a happy thread, I love it!

o

Join the RL club, OB. You won't be sorry.

o

Sorry. Remove double post.

This post was edited by holly-kay on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 20:58

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here