Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

That was quick! Rough Linen here

Holly- Kay
9 years ago

Tuesday evening I ordered the summer bed from Rough Linen. When I got back to my shop after doing my weekly banking today, there was a large package for me. I couldn't believe that it could be my linens already but it was.

The pillow slips, sheet, and summer cover were simply wrapped in white tissue paper and tied with a lovely chocolate brown grosgrain ribbon and they smelled heavenly thanks to the lavender bag that was included.

I couldn't wait til they were washed and dried. I had to put them on the bed right away. The sheet is huge and the pillow slips have an envelope closure that so many don't. The summer cover has a wonderful border on all four sides. The only problem is my mattress is quite heavy so it was a bit difficult to get them tucked well.

I can't wait to go to bed!

Comments (122)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Holly, I just received an email saying mine had shipped, so maybe I will have them by the beginning of the week-remember, I didn't opt for 2-day shipping! I have been checking here, too. Hope Sis gets hers before then. I think she ordered before I did.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Can you tell that I am excited for you? I honestly can't wait to climb into bed every night and I hope you both have the same experience!

• sis2two
    9 years ago

Mine just shipped today as well so I'm guessing they won't be here until Monday. Will let you know as soon as I get them. Moving my youngest child into college on Saturday which is hard for me so my sheets will be a nice pick me up the first of the week. Don't think the empty nest is for me, lol!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Yippee! I received mine today. Hope you did, too, Sis.

Oh my Holly, you were not exaggerating about the wonderful lavender scent! I took out the tablecloth and runner and closed the box. I am going to change sheets tomorrow, so I will wake up Monday (first day back to school-ugh) feeling pampered and rested! I cannot wait!

Oh, and I have been thinking about the difference in our moms' percale sheets and ours today. I wonder if the fact that they were line dried is the difference. I didn't put my Thomas Lee sheets in the dryer last week and they are much crisper and more like what I remember than they are when I dry them in the machine. Hmmm...

Anyway, thanks for the push! I am over the moon!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Cyn, when the temp hits 40 degrees, I only line dry my sheets (I also have Thomas Lee sheets, btw), and it makes SUCH a huge difference in the feel and smell of the sheets. I love line-dried sheets. If it's sunny on turnover days, I line dry them as well in order to treat my tenants to line-dried sheets. The sun also dries them so quickly! And of course, the energy savings are great, as is the effect on the electric bill. In addition, they actually wrinkle a lot less when line dried.

One suggestion for your first night, at least, with your new Rough Linen sheets: take a shower just before getting into bed. There is nothing like climbing into fresh sheets with a fresh, clean bod!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Haha, Tib, that is my plan exactly-squeaky clean me with brand new sheets. Heaven!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Holly-Kay - I'm sure you've washed these at least a few times. My fear - with a California king sized mattress - is always shrinkage. What have you seen / what can you tell us about that?

One of my happiest memories is DMIL #1's wonderful starched sheets. I tried for years to replicate them and never mind ironing and starching sheets. Unfortunately, DH#2 - who never complains about anything - loves the flannels sheets so much. We have (sigh) made it through the summer with them still on (and me going through menopause).

Boy oh boy would I love to sneak these sheets on and triple up on his comforter, on his side of the bed..... :)

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OB the sheets wash wonderfully. I used Mrs Meyers lavender aroma therapy laundry detergent and it is grand. The pillow slip shrunk just a smidgen, and as they were a tad bit large at first they now fit perfectly.

I didn't notice any shrinkage in the sheet but the sheets are huge! I honestly can't imagine them not being perfect for your bed as far as size. The rough linen website gives dimensions of each size.

Cyn I received my package with the pinnie and another sheet on Friday morning when I got the mail at my shop. That means they actually arrived Thursday, amazing considering they ship from CA. My pinnie (adult petite) is too short for my liking so I am going to gift it to my DD and order the adult large. I love the crisscrossed strap design of it and can't wait to get the longer length. You are taller and more slender than I am so maybe you don't want the petite as it is definitely petite as far as length goes.

I do think line drying is the way to go and I agree that line drying adds to the crispness. I wish we didn't have so many trees. I would love to hang my sheets out.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Oldbat2be, I haven't noticed any shrinkage either and Holly-kay isn't kidding about the sheets being HUGE. They tuck deeply and firmly under our mattress with room to spare. I just measured and the mattress is 12" thick and the sheet easily has another 12" tucked under on the end I pulled out. My husband didn't think he would like an unfitted bottom sheet, but as soon as we put them on, he was sold. He quickly found out they stay on better than the elastic bottom sheets.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

lascatx, I recently learned that hotels use flat sheets on the bottom. Flat sheets are also a heck of a lot easier to fold!

• denali2007
    9 years ago

I am so glad everyone is happy with their sheets. Now here is another product to make things more comfortable. My mattress pad is from Snugfleece Woolens.. It's just another player in a comfortable bed. There are several places that sell it and you can do a google search for them. I always thought wool would be too hot, but it is not at all.
    I began several years ago building my dream bed and putting it together piece by piece. First was my iron bed from Brass Beds of VA, then came my latex mattress, next up was the snugfleece mattress pad, then the latex pillows. After that I got one Rough Linen sheet to use as a top sheet, then this year I bought the Summer Bed. I am in heaven at night.

Here is a link that might be useful: mattress pad

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

denali is right, those wool pads are soooooooooo great.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Denali, I have been building my dream bed also. The first was my Cloud Luxe mattress, then Tib suggested my wonderful latex pillows. I just bought a cotton mattress pad as a temporary fix as my pad that is currently on it creases and drives me nutso. It is so uncomfortable. I still want to find the perfect mattress pad and the one you linked may be the solution. I originally wanted to go with wool but read that there is often a sheepy smell. Did you find that to be the case?

Tib, I agree about the flat sheet being so easy to fold. I won't be going back to fitted sheets again.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Denali, Do you have the cotton backed or a polyester backed version. I would like for it to be washable because I don't want to inhale dry cleaning odors but I would rather have a cotton backing.

Which model did you choose and would you go with the same one again?

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Do any of you live in the subtropics? I can't imagine sleeping on a wool mattress pad for at least 10 months out of the year here.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Now. Just. Stop! Yikes, Denali! I am not going to click on that link...not today anyway. ;)

Tib, the bed is made and ready. The white Orkney cover is such a lovely creamy white shade and I love the way the bed and room look with the summer cover! I cannot wait to crawl into those sheets. I am thinking of taking my shower and going to bed around 5pm. Hehheh.

Holly, why thank you! No one has ever called me 'taller' at 5'3" or so (shrinking a little maybe). I used to be slender, skinny even, but now, not so much. Menopause is not a pretty sight, I am afraid. Just can't seem to lose the 10-15 pounds. In truth, it should be 20-25 pounds, but I have given up on that at this point.

I hope Sis got her package and is as happy as we are.

• sis2two
    9 years ago

Cyn- I received mine yesterday too! Plan on putting mine on Monday after I wash the sheet and pillowslips. They look really nice and I love the texture of the bed cover which has a nice nubby look which I like. I think I'm going to order the Myriad curtains next. My stark white curtains don't look good with the off white linen. Yes- the saying about giving a mouse of cookie is so true!

• sis2two
    9 years ago

Holly- I so agree about the menopause thing and at age 55 and being only 5'2" I agree about the weight thing totally! I really believe if I were taller the weight issue would be non existent, lol!

• sis2two
    9 years ago

Oh shucks! Just realized it was Cyn talking about menopause and weight so ignore the post hollykay!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well Sis, it may as well been me saying it because I am past that stage also. I used to be 5'2" but now 5'1" and I found that 25 lbs that Cyn is trying to lose. Maybe if I was put on a rack and stretched the pounds would look better on me.

Honestly a whole day in my bed would be a small glimpse of heaven but my darn pupsters refuse to cooperate. To them 7:15 IS sleeping in. I do find myself getting ready for bed earlier though.

Lascatx I have heard that wool is great at keeping temperatures normal and wicks away moisture but I also can't imagine wool in the summer so I will read reviews before deciding.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

At 62, I am just going to relax. I have a friend who says women began to gain weight as they aged way back in the caveman days because we couldn't out-compete young women for food, so we needed to carry extra fat to avoid starvation. She says we are genetically predisposed to weight gain. Ha. Sounds good to me. ;)

Now, if only we became taller as we gained. That would be cool!

• sis2two
    9 years ago

I put my bedding on today and didn't wash anything except the pillowslips. I just love the linen! I had a small glitch however. When I went to put the bedcover on, I noticed about 4 purplish stains on it, almost like smudges of some kind. I sprayed them with oxiclean and dabbed them with a warm wet cloth and they did come out thank goodness! I was dreading having to send it back and wait for a replacement.

Excited about sleeping with the new bedding tonight. If anyone is thinking about this bedding, it really is good quality.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sis, I am so glad that the spots came out! I imagine you felt a bit heartsick when you saw them. The sheet and bedcover looked so pristine and smelled so heavenly from the sachet.

Sleeping on the linen just seems to get better. I can barely wait to get into bed in the evenings.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Sweet dreams sis2two! This is such a happy thread, I love it!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Join the RL club, OB. You won't be sorry.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry. Remove double post.

This post was edited by holly-kay on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 20:58

• suzie1962
    8 years ago

Holly-Kay, I know this is an old thread, so hopefully you will still see it. I have been obsessing over which pieces from Rough Linen I should order. I ordered a pinafore so I could see what the Orkney linen is like and while I like it as an apron, I'm not sure it would feel soft enough as a duvet cover. Do you have a duvet cover in the Orkney? I have only washed it once, and line dried it, and it is very "crunchy", like towels that are line dried. But I also like the idea of a durable duvet cover, so not sure I would want to go with the smooth natural. Do you have any advice on which pieces to order? Thanks.

• Debbi Branka
    8 years ago

Suzie, I'm not HK, and I don't have a duvet cover YET. But I have the smooth (strong white) sheets (top, bottom and pillow slips) and the petite pinnie in Orkney. First off, the strong white sheets are awesome! I ordered the pinnie and a bread bag in Orkney first to feel the fabric. I also ordered the fabric swatches. The Orkney was a little rough for me (the weave too loose). I went with the strong white for sheets - got them just after Christmas. Unlike everyone else, I washed them twice before I used them. Wanted to get them even softer. I wash them every Saturday and put them right back on the bed. We don't have a clothes line. I dry them on the "ultra delicate" setting and only half dry them. Then I drape them over the headboard and footboard of 2 beds to dry the rest of the way. I suggest you dry your pinnie this way too - just partially dry it, remove from dryer when it is still quite damp, and hang it on a hanger. Mine is soft. I love that I'm able to dry my hands on it as I'm working all around the kitchen. I'm 5'2" and wear about a size 6. I ordered the petite. It feels a little short for me, so this weekend I learned the pinnie now comes in INDIGO (my favorite!!) and I ordered that in a regular. It is out for delivery today - can't wait to get home and wear it!

I've posted this picture before somewhere, but here is my 3 year old grandson, snuggling with our 9 year old Chihuahua (see his little black ear sticking out?) in our RL sheets & pillowslips. The duvet on the bed at this time is very white-white. So you can see that the creaminess of the strong white linen is not that "off" from white.

My next purchases should be the strong white duvet, the bolsters, and the tea towels. And probably the pillow shams with buttons. I'm addicted :)

• suzie1962
    8 years ago

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I think I will probably end up getting the duvet cover in the smooth natural. I think the Orkney will be too textured to sleep under. I will try partially machine drying my pinafore the next time I wash it to soften it up a little. I haven't been able to find any reviews on the duvet cover in Orkney, but would love to hear from someone who does have it. I like the idea of a couple of different textures.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Suzie, I agree with Debbi. The strong white is awesome. I don't care for duvets but I purchased the summer bed last year. Since then I have ordered another queen sheet and another pair of pillowslips, three tea towels, and two pinnies. The Orkney definitely has a crisper texture. I love that crispness for tea towels and pinny but I love the softness of the smooth white for my sheets. It is still sheer pleasure to crawl into bed at night on my linen sheets. As long as Tricia sells them I won't have anything but RL on my bed.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lascatx, when my DD was over recently she raved about my linen tea towel. I will have to buy her several for Christmas. I too am totally spoiled by the lovely feel of linen. I iron my pillow slips and my tea towels and just love the feel. I love the way the linen looks on my bed too but there is no way I have the patience to press my sheets! I dry mine in the dryer on low also. I have been pestering DH to hand a line for me but it isn't a priority for him.

• Debbi Branka
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

If this doesn't show up indigo, change the color selection and you should see it. Indigo Pinnie

• lascatx
    8 years ago

I finally found the picture -- totally different shade of blue since my fabric is grey-blue. Doesn't rule out the possibility. I'd like an indigo summer cover!

• Debbi Branka
    8 years ago

I'd like an indigo duvet!

• lascatx
    8 years ago

I could go for either one.

• Debbi Branka
    8 years ago

Oh, I asked Tricia (on FB) if they can make an indigo duvet and shams. We'll see what the answer is. Because if it is yes, I will be ordering those soon :)

• lascatx
    8 years ago

I wonder if she has a limited amount of that color/ Let us know.

• suzie1962
    8 years ago

Ok, I'm off to wash my pinny again and try partially drying it in the dryer to see how it feels after that. I can't believe I am putting this much thought into buying bed linens, but for the price I really want to love them!!

• Debbi Branka
    8 years ago

It's a lot of money. But once you take the plunge, you'll be addicted too :)

• lascatx
    8 years ago

Suzie, I did everything you are doing and still took longer. I still had to make it an anniversary gift for us both to pull the trigger.

• suzie1962
    8 years ago

The Orkney is pretty nice after drying in the dryer!

• amck2
    8 years ago

Oh, no! Not the linen sheets posts again!

I managed to quell the temptation from the last round by buying pinnafores. But my resistance is weakening with summer on the horizon. I have a milestone BD in the coming weeks. Maybe that can be my excuse. . ;)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

Indigo! How can she do this to me?

Oh, and reading through some of the posts here again, as regards weight gain, saw a cartoon where the woman says that according to her BMI, she is too short. Heehee. Loved that.

Now, heading back to stare at the indigo pinafore. ;)

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The indigo is pretty! I think my next purchase will be tea towels for DD.

• Debbi Branka
    8 years ago

Indigo has arrived!

Here's the length difference between the petite (white) and regular (indigo)

And here's the regular on me 5'2"

These show sideways for me. I'm posting from my phone. Hope you can see them right.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

Looks like the she uses the same strap length. That is what I had to have her let out. But I do like the indigo. :)

• suzie1962
    8 years ago

So I ordered a set of pillowcases in the Smooth Natural and just washed and put them on the bed, but I really don't think my husband is going to like them! They seem a little scratchy. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for them to soften up in the wash.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

Suzie, I replied on the other thread. I think you will find that the linen does soften beautifully but you might like to press them at least the first couple fo times you use them. The pillowcases are quick to press and I remember reading something in another context about an initial pressing helping set the way the fibers will lay. Maybe it will help the fibers in your pilowcases lay smoother. But they will soften up.

• Noah Vine
    2 years ago

Hello all! I know this is an older thread but I’m looking at purchasing the rough linen smooth sheet set and the Orkney summer cover. My concern is the longevity of the linen. I’ve bought and returned a few different linen sheet sets from “premium bedding” brands and they all feel cheap thin and flimsy. Anyone that’s had there rough linen sheets for more than a couple years, how have they worn?

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner