Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carsonheim_gw

Cool and Retro... or a big miss?????

carsonheim
9 years ago

I came across this light fixture for $40 at the ReStore today. Thinking of it for our bonus room over garage.

The bonus room will have wood pallet walls, a beer-making kitchen, and my hubby will play his (loud) guitars in there.

Cool and retro-chic, or notsomuch?

This post was edited by carsonheim on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 19:20

Comments (19)

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

I like it for that space!

I never have any luck at Habitat. Just went the other day. Good for you.

• ttodd
    9 years ago

From the wife of a brewer I think it's perfect for the look that you're after! Get it!

• carsonheim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

gscience -- I go to the ReStore every week. most of the time it's a miss. But every now and then I find something great. Last week I purchased two huge iron/crystal chandeliers for $100 each. I also purchased two sets of french doors and I'll be purchasing four large fluorescent light fixtures for our garage. Oh, and I bought a bunch of cheap doorknobs to use as temporary knobs while we build our house. We'll put the nice ones on later... didn't want our construction crew to have keys to the actual locks, and it was cheaper to pick up temp locking doorknobs for $3 each. I'll donate them BACK to the restore after I'm done with 'em :)

• jakabedy
    9 years ago

I think it will be great in your space: cowboy/disco. Rock on!

• louislinus
    9 years ago

That will definitely work in your space. Great eye!

• Phobie Privett
    9 years ago

YES!

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Oh no, it refuses to go away!!! lol I think "No", but only because I spent the day in step #1 of covering up the hated corners of the kitchen today. They resemble part of your light, and I have waited 4+ years to cover them up. Love your wood and furniture in your bonus room, though! I might warm up to the light, with just a bit more time. ;)

• kswl2
    9 years ago

That's a miss if there ever was one. Sorry, but you did ask!

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

I think it's definitely retro, cool? not so much.

it will be too heavy and clunky looking for your room, not a good way to start the decor imo....

I think you know that already from the tone of your question in the subject line.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

DonâÂÂt know without seeing more of your future vision. I have bought some of these big honking light fixtures from around the same era at the Rehoming store and they strangely end up great statement pieces. Did that chandelier used to have glass globes over the bulbs? The glass on there could be very cool.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I really like it for the space. If you would like to take some photos of the light and the space on a larger scale, I could photoshop it for you.

• teeda
    9 years ago

I think it's missing something--perhaps glass globes as jterrilyn suggested (and the globes would probably have been smoked glass). Looks early 80's to me. It reminds me of something you would see in those late 70's/early 80s condos that featured miles of drywall and laminate cabinets. I'd pass!

This post was edited by WMA89 on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 8:09

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think if you are going to try it, you should strip the finish and make it closer to the wood wall, get different colored candle covers (maybe black?), and use big globe or carbon-filament bulbs in it. This isn't something that needs to be preserved in its original state.

• caminnc
    9 years ago

It's a no for me. I think what pal said might work but gosh that's a lot of work.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Can you get some straight chimneys for the chrome fitters? If not, try to remove them, and like Pal said, use bulbs with interest.
    I think it's very architectural.
    Casey

• peony4
    9 years ago

It's interesting from the angle you're showing, but this is not how it will be viewed in your space. It's not old enough yet to be retro.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Peony makes a good point. What does it look like when you're looking UP at it?

And it's missing its four bulb-covers / chimneys, so to me, it looks naked and unfinished. If you plug it in, you'll see what I mean... the unfiltered light will be harsh and ugly.

So, no.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

... unless of course you can find four of these:

• carsonheim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

decided to pass on it. Thanks everyone for the input. It was just so.... interesting. Upward and onward!