Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgps

Enough silliness, I have a real decorating question

rgps
9 years ago

I am recovering 6 dining chairs. Not slipcovers. The wood will stay as is since it is appropriate for the house and table. I am using unbleached drop cloths for the covering so I can screw it up repeatedly and play to my hearts content. I am using a paintable ink which is permanent and does not change the feel or hand of the cloth.

So here are my first 2 attempts at ideas. The top is done with one method, the bottom with a differ method. Any preference?

My second idea is to paint each chair in the style of different artists I love but using a similar palette. Is that too corny? My artists would be Paul Klee, Kandinsky, Joan Miro, Frida Kahlo, Matisse and Picasso. Don't have any samples of those made up but if the vote is to go in that direction I'll get right on making some. I will keep me off the roof and candy crush at least.

Will post the chair first and then the sample I do have done. The floors are natural white oak and some ancient orientals. What you see now is paper on the floor for protection during some nasty turd excavation.

Now the silliness may resume.

Comments (49)

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The samples.

• jrueter
    9 years ago

My two cents (and not worth that much either) - I prefer the lower sample, but if the top samples didn't have the white squiggles I would choose them.
    You are so creative - can't wait to see what you end up with.

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How about if the squiggles weren't white?

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

" I am using a paintable ink which is permanent and does not change the feel or hand of the cloth. "

oooohhhh What brand?

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Inktense blocks. Very fun ! You wet a brush and rub over the block just like watercolors in a pan. Iron to heat and walla. YouTube has a good video.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I would like the backs done in the upper left with the seats done in the lower sample.

Maybe you entertain a different type guest than many of us, those who would actually GET the different artist concept. But if so, or are you are doing it for you and would get great pleasure from it, then I'd do that.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I think it's utterly awesome. I also like the bottom one and the top one on the right if it had squiggles other than white.

I've seen the term "hand" used when referring to fabric. What does that mean?

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I may have been busted. I used a term I'm not 100% sure of its meaning. Sort of like name dropping. What I meant it to mean is how the fabric feels to the touch, whether it is stiff or soft, how it drapes, how it holds a crease or how it is to work with.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

What does the room that will house the chairs look like? That would have a significant impact on my preference of the samples shown.

As for your idea, I'd say if you can paint in a passable facsimile of those styles it would be fabulous! But think the execution would have to be pretty good or it would look corny. Can't wait to see more of this project! Are you an artist?

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was an art major in college until I realized I'd starve so I became a nurse. It has worked out very well since nursing is so flexible and I've rarely worked full time. It has also provided the funds for supplies without guilt. I'm pretty good at fulfilling whatever I envision because whatever talent I may have in short supply I make up in being fearless and persistent. Doesn't mean I haven't turned out some real stinkers in my day. Hope this isn't one of them.

Another idea is doing big gaudy botanicals. I'm attaching one of those below even though it is not finished and not well cleaned up yet.

As for what the room will look like who knows. It's in the mountains so the views are the main feature. Lots of big windows. Creamy walls and quarter sawn white oak flooring with big old mostly red orientals. The dining table is a really old family one out of black walnut. One wall of the dining room is going to be wall to wall wood stained bookcases with lots of old books and some of my pottery collection, antique and contemporary. I have no fear of color or clutter. Istanbul whorehouse remember.

• teeda
    9 years ago

What a great idea, and thanks for sharing the information on the ink paint!

I like the sample on the upper right. Any chance you have a picture of the table?

• edeevee
    9 years ago

Oh please, oh please, oh please do the artists! A Frido Kahlo chair!?! It makes my heart flutter!

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

I'm in love with the last one. My type of creative endeavor.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Another vote for doing the artists! How awesome that would be.

Would you be painting the just the backs, or the seats also?

And are you SURE that the paint won't rub off if I attend one of your famous dinner parties in my white satin Versace gown?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Yes, do the artists. I think it would be awesome and not corny at all. Not just saying that to keep you off the roof :)

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

None of that goes with the wood chair as the frame to the art. The chair needs to be less obtrusive into the paintings. It's not simple enough, or monochrome enough. If you paint it black, or leaf it gold, to cover the busier woodgrain, then it would look more approprate. Although, it might just veer off into Mexican restaurant kitsch. The psuedo Georgia O'Keefe is already dangerously close to that. Better in a large scale project to be easier appreciated. Like drapes. Sitting your tookus on your talent is kinda may not be a metaphor tha you want to introduce into your home

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

{{!gwi}}

I wonder if you could pick a motive, say, flowers and then paint in the style of the artists. I wouldn't paint an actual copy of a real painting.

And perhaps keep the seat the same fabric, maybe even a solid and just paint the back.

Or maybe just inspired by ...

• ogrose_tx
    9 years ago

Or, something similar to these types of patterns. I fell in love with their designs, enough to order pillows online from Scotland. Not cheap, but oh so nice with my ridiculously neutral decor.

www.bluebellgray.com

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Well if you need any pictures of decorating with big gaudy botanicals, I'm your man. I have a basement of them. And when they started arriving I realized the gaudier they were, the better they look. :-)

Not sure of those Jane Hall designs with the painted frames.....the frame color might look better a softer color than the designs.

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh no, Mexican restaurant kitch would be a very bad thing indeed so out go the Georgia wantabes. I think the nudie deer chair would be divine if only it didn't have that gaudy silver paint. We must keep things tasteful mustn't we.

My SIL wants me to do the seats in the painted plaid and the backs in "artist" rip offs. What do you think. Remember, this is not a house that takes itself seriously. It is a house for fun and experimentation. Nancy Reagan won't be coming by anytime soon.

Here is the table. Crazy granny bought it at an antique store in bucks county in the early 40s and had it refinished. Hasn't been touched since and has all the patina and defects you'd expect after 70 years of hard use. It will remain as is. Perfection is not welcome in this home. On the wall you see there on the right will be wall to wall ceiling to floor wonky wooden bookcase I designed all cut and ready to be assembled when floors get finished (and squirrels evicted).

No more browns, tans, or ecrus need apply for residence. I am doing blues and greens and reds and yellow if it kills me.

• rhomy
    9 years ago

rgps Love, love, love your style and attitude!! Great table!

As for the chairs, I would vote for the artwork to be on the outside back of the chairs. Do the plaid on the inside back and seats.

ps: I am stealing your phrase " Perfection is not welcome in this home"!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Agree with plaid on business side of chairs and knockoffs on backs, both because they will see less wear there, and will be seen more often when walking by the room.

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oohhhh, how about bug chairs. This painting is with the ink but on paper not fabric. But I can put the bugs on the fabric they just won't be quite as crisp.

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

I love your ideas and your samples. Whatever you chose will be fabulous.

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops. The bug didn't get posted. Here it is.

• valmooreinphx
    9 years ago

Love the bugs! Can't wait to see what you do!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Well, I love all the stuff you've shown us, and it sounds like you could whip up new upholstery if and when you tire of something else.

I like the pastel plaid for the sitting down part. I really think the insects would be awesome on the backs of the chairs.

I like your approach to style and think you can get away with putting whatever you want on those very chairs. Love the table!

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay here is THE plan. Plaid on the seats. Bugs on the back and artist rip offs on the front. No one can say "oh, I have a pair of those." Nor would they probably want to. Now I just have finish the demolition cleanup and I can crack out the canvas and inks. Hope to start painting in the morning.

Thanks one and all for the advise and encouragement. It's nice to have semi-sane people to bounce off my nutty ideas. My family just rolls their eyes and hope I get sidetracked on something less funkadelic. Rarely do they get their wish.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

What kind of artist rip-offs are thinking of?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Also, what about Matisse? Or Chagall?
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: some chairs for inspiration

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I like the bug chairs. NO reason to copy anyone or anything.

Were these someone else's chairs before? Looks like the chairs are in for quite a change! I cannot imagine the same person with both the before and after!

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gee thanks nosoccermom. Can't I ever one original idea in my life? I really thought my chairs would be unique but nnnooooo. Oh well, they will be the only ones on this hilltop at least.

Mtn- yes they belonged to my late SIL who probably would have had nancy Reagan over to dine. The table is the one I grew up around however. There may even be some peas and mashed potaoes I deposited on the shirt in 1959. I still hate cooked peas.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

They will be unique because you make your own unique design.

It's like saying painting isn't original :)

• three3apples
    9 years ago

This is phenomenal. I once painted a wooden stool to look like a Tiffany window. I love your ideas!!! I would either gild or do a lacquer type paint on the frames. The choice depends on what the rest of the room looks like, I think. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

Looking very forward to the 'done' pics, love your ideas and how you ferreted it down to the plaid/bug/knock off, they're going to be spectacular.

And by the way, you used 'hand' correctly, it does refer to the drape of fabric. :)

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Will the insects all be the same species or will they also vary? You might do some research and find bugs that are indigenous to each artist's home--or the place where they painted the work featured on the front.

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All bugs will be different although I am partial to beetles and moths. I may ixnay the idea of artist rip offs since EVERYONE seems to have already done that and stick to my plaid and bugs. ( did you know spellcheck doesn't accept pig Latin? Imagine.) Plus if I ever want to run for public office I'd hate to be changed with copyright violations. I think I'll start with being a senator. They have the cooler offices.

• valmooreinphx
    9 years ago

If it were my chair, I'd choose this bug :)

Here is a link that might be useful: pretty bug

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Luv, that is a most excellent bug and great web site.
    Here is a beetle quilt I made a few years ago that May have to move to this house to keep the beetle chairs company. Now that the varmint eviction is nearing completion I think the beetles will be safe.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I love that!

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

I'm excited to see what you do!

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Rgps, can I come live with you?

Please please pretty please????

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mclarke, just bring along a gas mask. Mouse and squirrel turds everywhere.

Now it's time for you guys take another vote. I have 2 plaids I painted and you get to decide which is better. The rejected one will be used for the polyester octagon plaid squirrel pants. Have to post the two separately since I just can't figure out that damn photobucket trick the rest of you are all so clever with.
    #1 you saw before.

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Número dos

• lonestaralaskan
    9 years ago

I like the stained-glass look of the fabric with the smaller squares.

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

I like them both but #2 is grabbing at my heart. Maybe it's the bug feelers on the back.

• valmooreinphx
    9 years ago

#2 is my vote

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

On its own, I like #1 better (reminds me of Klee), but I think with the bugs, #2 might work better.

• angies66
    9 years ago

Wow. I have never even thought of painting a chair. The examples that have been shared are fabulous!! I love the idea of botanical AND a bug. Since they seem to go hand in hand, bugs and botanicals. I would paint the chair frames. But that is the great thing about art, especially you being the artist, is you can do it however you please. I can't wait to see the finished project.

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations