Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scarlett001

Wood fence stain colour to go with light gray/blue siding

Scarlett001
9 years ago

A year ago, a big windstorm blew over the back fence (the two side fences were fine). I got a new fence put in and want to use a solid stain on the back fence. Initially, the idea was to colour match since I like the light/medium gray/blue colour well enough and it does go well with the vinyl siding on the house.

I've been trying to find a good colour match for the stain, and the closest so far is Silver Lake by BM, although it does appears a tad too light so I can move up to the next shade darker (it is from the old colours so easy to move up one shade in intensity) which I think will be a perfect match.

I got thinking that while I can match the current fence colour, I could consider changing the entire fence colour - although I am not that keen on painting the side fences I could do it. Photos to follow.

My options are:
(i) To match the back fence to the existing side fence colour
(ii) To get an approximate match, but maybe lighten/brighten the colour a bit - this way the match will be good enough that I won't have to rush to stain the side fences, but perhaps next summer I could redo the side fences.
(iii) To do the entire fence an entirely different colour (not sure what I would do, as white is one option and that might be a bit too bright in the sun, and I don't want the fence to be any darker).

Thoughts anyone?

This post was edited by Scarlett001 on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 19:10

Comments (13)

• Scarlett001
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Side fence colour with some test patches of stains on the back fence. The best match is the lower test stain but I will have to go one shade darker to get a better match. I do rather like the top shade as it is a bit more blue and a bit lighter and move lively.

• Scarlett001
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Photo to show vinyl siding and the side fence colour.

• Scarlett001
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good photo of the vinyl siding on the house.

• Scarlett001
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another photo of existing side fence colour.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd paint it white to go with the lattice as well as the siding.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd paint it in a crisp white but using flat paint. If you use a flat paint, it won't seem bright in the sunlight. White fences give a yard a crisp, clean look and feel. and you can put more plantings along the fence, and with the white peeping from behind them, it's very pretty.

• Scarlett001
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does anyone have any suggestions of BM colours that would give that crisp white feel?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Do a good amount of research before you start this project. You want to make sure you do it right, use the correct kind of paint and primer, etc.

Start with the link below.

As for the kind of white, you really just need a basic white. When you go to the paint store, just ask them for a good exterior white fence paint. They'll know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Painting a wood fence

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I wouldn't paint the fence white. It would be blinding in the sun and much more upkeep to keep it looking good. The blue gray looks good even when a bit faded, but white won't. I would paint the lattice to match the fence, tho.

I can't help with specific paint colors, but think you are on the right track. I like fences (especially solid ones) that look like a backdrop for the plants in the yard.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Pretty pretty

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

We recently moved to Florida. I dislike those white, plastic fences. They are so artificial looking, so bright they scream as you go up the street.

I'm actually thinking of doing something similar. Our house is a greyish blue and I was thinking of staining the fence to match. I think the grey blends in to the landscape, doesn't scream and looks good with plants and trees.

Go with your original choice.

Jane

• User
    9 years ago

I had a wood picket fence and thought I wanted it white too. It looks beautiful, for about 5 minutes. The rain makes grey streaks on it, everything that touched it stained it, and it looked bad within just a few months.

Grey is much for forgiving. :)

So if you love re-painting, or patina doesn't bother you then you can go for the white. I've repainted mine grey and haven't needed to touch it since.