Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mvdecor

Need help with my living room

mvdecor
9 years ago

We need help designing our living space. This is living+dining but we do have a eat -in kitchen and so dining area can be used for other things.
Earlier we though of moving tv in dining are as shown in picture. We don't have a family room so by moving tv in dining area, we can use that area as daily family room and then main living as formal living. But that space may be too tight and may not have enough seating. Can we make it work that way?
Also, just in case we need to use dining area for some formal or larger dinner party, then we won't have any space.
Now we are thinking keeping tv in original position and then having a L shaped sofa in main living with two formal sofa chairs. For dining, we'll just put cozy rug, low coffee table which can also be used as low dining with some floor cushions(yet to find good ones).Any other suggestions? Some more photos of living - https://plus.google.com/photos/116129468593249079469/albums/6050153861596679393

Comment (1)

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

I would keep the family room for TV viewing but use the smaller section next to the kitchen as a library/study/dining area. One arrangement could be to place a round dining table in the area to the right of the kitchen entrance so that it has it's own L-shaped corner and the window view. Have the chairs fully-upholstered parson's chairs so that guests and family want to linger. Besides dining, the table can be used to sit and read, for board games, craft projects, etc. The 10 ft. wall where the TV is drawn, place storage cabinet drawers for the base with display/bookshelves on top for the wall cabinets. As one moves to the left toward the den, have a desk drawer in the corner with more storage base cabinets to the left of the desk with nothing on top of them, except perhaps little mail sorting cubbies. In effect, you then have an L-shaped desk, display area. A very low base cabinet for components for the TV with the TV on top could be on the opposite side of the base cabinets to the left of the desk, facing the family room. In other words, the TV area is now makes an L to the right of the fireplace. Hope this is not too confusing. I am currently in the process of installing new cabinets in an L-shaped area of my family room with this same configuration. The three base cabinets are all 30"w x 28"h x 18"d two drawer file cabinets. Two are to the left of the desk with open display cabinets on the top and one file cabinet is on the right with nothing on top because it is against a short pony wall with the breakfast table on the other side. The corner area for the desk is 42" x 42" along the wall with a two 27" wide enclosed wall cabinets mounted above and a dead corner. The enclosed cabinets hold my cookbooks and a mail sorter. The file cabinets have files of investment papers, household manuals, etc. One has tea towels and aprons that is an overflow from the kitchen plus board games. I'll use this area for mail sorting, bill paying, investments, and meal planning. Anyway, hope this helps to give you some ideas.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!