Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help With Family Room Furniture Placement

Posted by finethreads (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 18:49

Hello everyone, my wife and I are living with family while our house is being built. My sister in law would like some help in coming up with furniture placement ideas for her family room.
She lives in Northern Michigan. Their house is on acreage and they are surrounded by beautiful hardwood forests.

I have attached a photo of a rough layout of the room. Using map compass directions, I will do my best to explain the current layout.

On one East side of the room is a 10' opening into a kitchen and dining area.

Moving over to the the North wall is a beautiful wood burning fireplace with a raised granite hearth. On either side of the fireplace is a 54" tall window.

The south wall is a half wall. Behind it is a stairway to the basement.

Next to that half wall is a 7' opening that leads into an entry, where you also have access to a bathroom and two bedrooms.

We have been struggling with how to place furniture.

Currently there is a TV in the SE Corner; a loveseat and easy chair on the west wall; a recliner located at the end of the half wall next to the entry opening; and another recliner at the NE corner of the family room.

I have attached a drawing of the room and will also include a photo of the room as well.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help With Family Room Furniture Placement

I have also attached a picture of the room showing the current furniture placement. Thanks!

o

Try putting the tv on the west wall. Pull the furniture in toward the fireplace leaving space for a walkway behind the furniture. Place the sofa toward the fireplace, two chairs to the right of fireplace facing the tv wall, one chair flanking the fireplace on the left. If they are planning to buy new furniture, I think an l-shaped sectional would work well. One side facing fireplace the other the facing the tv. One chair could flank the fireplace on the left angled toward the sectional.

o

What is the predominant activity in the room? Is it an adult TV viewing area? Visiting and conversation area? Kids' play room with lots of TV and video games?

o

Predominant activity is TV watching, but we also have a lot of grand kids over to play and would like to have a better environment for adult conversation. It is definitely a Family room. Thanks!

o

Thank you all for your input. We rearranged the furniture and it looks and works pretty good. We are going to give it a few days.

o

Another view

o

I like it! Beautiful ceiling. Very cozy room. Hopefully now you can enjoy the FP and the TV.

o

It's amazing how just that one suggestion to pull it all in has made such a big difference. I'm sure your in-laws are very happy to have had you stay with them!

o

You could also switch the sofa with the recliners if tv viewing is done more from the recliners.

o

Thank you for all the nice comments!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here