Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
61tinkerbell

My sideboard, Before & After

tinker_2006
11 years ago

It's ALMOST finished.... but I need comments & thoughts!

I used AS Chalk Paint, and loved the color, but once I applied the wax, the finish became much darker. I really wasn't expecting as much of a color change the wax created. DH came home, and I asked if he likes it.. he say's "It's Okay"! What..??!! I don't want this to be "okay"!

This is my first big furniture project, and I fussed around a bit with it. I added a little crackle on the drawer fronts and top, DH doesn't like it, but it is very subtle.

Do you think I should use the dark wax to add an antique effect? I used it on a chair, and I thought it almost made it look dirty.. ??

Okay, so here are some pictures, Final, Final picture after I receive my new hardware (on order).

From Sideboard Makeover
From Sideboard Makeover
From Sideboard Makeover
From Sideboard Makeover
From Sideboard Makeover
From Sideboard Makeover
From Sideboard Makeover
From Sideboard Makeover
From Sideboard Makeover
From Sideboard Makeover
From Sideboard Makeover

Comments (100)

• 4boys2
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Tinker~
    Most all the directions I've read with respect to
    using the dark wax is to use the clear wax first.
    If you still find yourself w/a pc. too dark you can
    also use a hair drier to heat the pc. up and buff some
    more of the dark off.
    I found this link on youtube but there are many more
    instructions out there.(It's either my computer or her recording ..The lips don't sync w/the words)
    I have better luck using the glazes though.

Your hard work turned out beautiful.
    Thanks so much for to info on the Abatron WoodEpox.
    No reason to pass by those otherwise beautiful pieces.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz9Bem69Wb0&feature=related

• 4boys2
    11 years ago

Here's another one here...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wQk4jaWnfjo#!

• amykath
    11 years ago

Perfect! You did a wonderful job and to think you said you would not have time to get to it. You are lightning fast! I love it!

• amykath
    11 years ago

Perfect! You did a wonderful job and to think you said you would not have time to get to it. You are lightning fast! I love it!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you everyone. I do have a little OCD, so once I set my mind to something - I go full speed ahead!

forboystoo, thanks for the links! I did use clear wax first, but I just dabbed on the dark.. afraid of too much, but I'm going to go back and finish this (went shopping all day for lighting - found nothing yet!)

Bumblebee, here is a couple more shots - still need to complete it, so the mess is still there.

I just rehung that picture I had.. not sure what to put above it.. this looks to large, yes? what about frame color? mirrors, one picture or a couple.. so many things to think about and find!

From Sideboard Makeover
    From Sideboard Makeover

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

It looks beautiful! All of your hard work paid off.

• Lyban zone 4
    11 years ago

Everything looks good. I do not care for that picture there, what about something like this in a darker finish.
    This one is from PotteryBarn

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Wow, that's really nice. I'll have to bookmark this thread for when I do the guest BR dresser. Gosh knows when that will be!

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Just my 2 cents, but I think the picture looks out of sinc~too small,the subject matter has no 'life', and it's too lack-luster in color.

The white of the print against the white wall is also not working. Maybe if the mat were changed out it would work.;o)

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Just my 2 cents, but I think the picture looks out of sinc~too small,the subject matter has no 'life', and it's too lack-luster in color.

The white of the print against the white wall is also not working. Maybe if the mat were changed out it would work.;o)

• EG3d
    11 years ago

I think patty cakes is correct. This art has no life. You need something with more spunk, with more character, like a great mirror or a large star or a striking piece of art with nods to the blue and brown and cream colors. A great looking vignette of objects on the buffet would be add to the ambiance.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yes... looking at it again this morning, it is pretty blah! It's a picture I had in our storage shed for a few years and I was hoping... oh well, another search to initiate!

• ttodd
    11 years ago

Nope - haven't decided between blue or grey yet! Really thinking about using the AS Milk paint now. DH has used milk paint before per a client request and really liked it and my Dad used to use it all of the time on furniture.

Thinking that since DH will be the one doing the bulk of the painting that this would be a good time to really try to brink th emilk paint in as an option for clients.

Your piece looks so good!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks FoxesPad... I really would like to know more about the milk paint too - saw it online a few places. I think I'm in trouble here.. I really enjoyed working on this piece, and may have the fever! I do need to focus on finishing painting inside this old house first - but that's not half as fun!

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Tinker, I envision a vintage print, not floral , possibly botanical or even a landscape. When I say 'vintage', it doesn't have to be, but looks like it could be. ;o)

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do like landscapes, and I found this one today at a thrift store.. not really too vintage

From Sideboard Makeover

AND

my other thought was an oval mirror..?

From Sideboard Makeover

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago
  • patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Ummmmmmm, too small tinker. How about a grouping of mirrors with this one in the center w/smaller ones around it? I have a small grouping of Italian florentine mirrors going up the stairs. I find groupings to be more interesting than one single picture/mirror.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Ummmmmmm, too small tinker. How about a grouping of mirrors with this one in the center w/smaller ones around it? I have a small grouping of Italian florentine mirrors going up the stairs. I find groupings to be more interesting than one single picture/mirror.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do like the grouping idea.. or larger mirror? I found another today at a thrift store, it's rectangle, but not...hard to explain -

I also have another shed picture... I like the colors, looks great with the rug, but it is small. I was thinking wall plates along both sides..?

From Sideboard Makeover

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I'm sorry tinker, but I'm just not liking the floral pictures, either one. But, maybe if there were something w/it, bracket shelves holding a plate, plate rack on each side, or a combination of different items. The picture looks just toooooooo lonely. ;o)

• rafor
    11 years ago

What about putting the picture or mirror off-center and then placing something tall on the buffet to fill in the wall space left to one side of the pic? Does that make sense?????? I like things a little different, so I often don't center a picture over a piece of furniture.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Rafor,, now why didn't I think of that? That's the way I have my buffet top set up, a lamp on one side and a vintage French bust of a woman on the other side. Even a lamp on each end with a series of pictures/mirrors would work. I always prefer more than less. ;o)

• bac717
    11 years ago

Either a pair of buffet lamps or one larger lamp with the picture off center might work. I think it would be nice to have a lamp on at night in that room.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

aww... I knew it wasn't going to work, but so many pictures in my shed! I already gave a lot away, and need to take a trip with a load of things to Salvation Army!

Yes, yes.. I plan on 2 buffet lamps.. (that's the plan) I really need to see a picture of the off center idea, I'm a very symmetrical person, always have been!

• loribee
    11 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous buffet! I'd love to see the oval mirror- maybe painted/stained to match your table? If it's too small, add cute sconces on either side.

• Arapaho-Rd
    11 years ago

I'm not totally against the last painting you showed above your sideboard. I like the red background. I am partial to mirrors and an oval would be nice. Waiting for your next photo :)

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

I think you need something non-rectangular, maybe plates or an oval or round mirror.
    Your sideboard looks absolutely amazing.

• EG3d
    11 years ago

Yes, use buffet lamps and perhaps a much larger art piece like this:

• citywoman2012
    11 years ago

The sideboard is beautiful.
    After you get buffet lamps you will be able to
    visualize size of picture needed etc.

Here is a picture of my buffet and I used plates
    to fill in.

• citywoman2012
    11 years ago

Another picture.
    I would trade buffets with you in a NY minute!
    The scroll work on yours is yummy.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago
  • tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

nice citywomen! It shows that a smaller picture could work as well, and even a basket! How tall are your buffet lamps? They look great, and seem to fit. I went out and bought to cheap ones at HomeGoods.. just to get a visual, I was thinking they were too tall.. but maybe not?

Another shed picture! Since moving into this house, most of my old pictures just don't fit. I found two more pictures in the shed, one DH likes it.. I'm still thinking I might go with a mirror. I went looking for one yesterday.. and think my search may take a while.

Just looking at picture frame color, picture size, lamps. The accessories I just plucked up from my storage bin.

THIS ONE : Home Goods... I crossed it off my list, but posting it anyways.

From Sideboard Makeover

Storage Shed Finds
    Like this picture, but the picture doesn't fit my house. Trying to decide on frame color and size...

From Sideboard Makeover

we kinda like this one.. DH really likes it, I'm not 100% sure.

From Sideboard Makeover

• Arapaho-Rd
    11 years ago

Wood frame on #2 ties the table/chairs to the sideboard. #1 is elegant and dramatic but may be too large with lamps. Gold frame and coloring of #3 looks a little washed out and blah on the wall.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Could we see #2 with the lamps? Arapaho is right about the frame.

I cannot wait to see this room completed. It is so wonderful already!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll take a picture of #2 with the lamps. I'm mixed - picture or mirror? What direction to head in!

• deeinohio
    11 years ago

What about a plate rack like in the below picture, or even just a collection of ironstone plates hung above?

I love the simple elegance of your room, but think it could benefit from the interesting layer a collection could provide.

Dee

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/northway-traditional-bedroom-atlanta-phvw-vp~216625)

[Traditional Bedroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2107) by Atlanta Architect Castro Design Studio

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago
  • annzgw
    11 years ago

It sounds like you really want a mirror in that room and something like lyban posted would be perfect.
    Out of the 3 art pieces you've shown, #2 or #3 would work but I'd tone down the gold frame of #3.
    Those lamps are ok, but the shades don't work. You need a more natural fabric on the shade, or else black shades.
    Plus, the lamps may need to be taller once you decided on your artwork or mirror.

• Arapaho-Rd
    11 years ago

If you're up to it tinker, could you hang the red background floral print and put the two lamps with it? The frame is very gold but with your skills you could change it I'm sure. I'm probably in the minority but I'd love to see how that would look.

• Arapaho-Rd
    11 years ago

I also meant to say that print reminds me of citywoman2012's ... you could add some plates as she did which looks wonderful.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I have to agree with deeinohio. Something like the plate rack or another collection is what's needed. The pictures are okay, but the room needs something else other than a picture or mirror.

Do you have other white ironstone pieces like the pitcher on your table that you can display?

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I would wait until you hang your chandelier before you decide on art and lamps on buffet. I think the room is going to be "filled" in a way it's not right now and you may find that the right mirror is just the perfect look and that lamps might be too much.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like the plate rack idea, but - I don't have any collections, and for me to try to come up with a perfect collection.. that may take me a bit of time! lol... the pictures/mirror thing is taking longer than I thought!

arapahp, I was about to take another picture of the floral w/gold frame - but as soon as I reached for it -I noticed the frame is peeling - I never realized it is wrapped in paper!! going to donate that picture!

Just for fun, I put up my bedroom mirror, which is sitting on top of my dresser as I have never hung it yet!

From Sideboard Makeover
    From Sideboard Makeover

• rafor
    11 years ago

I'd like to see the round mirror without the lamps. Also love the plate rack idea. You say you don't have any collections? Just put your regular plates on it!

• rafor
    11 years ago

I like the picture with the wood frame. The blue of the sky echoes the color of the buffet and the mat seems to match your wall color.

• citywoman2012
    11 years ago

tinker my lamps are 36" ht.

The last mirror is too much frame.
    The dark framed pictures seem to be over-powering the
    buffet.

I can see the gold framed one dropped down several inches.
    The colors seem to be softer and pulls out the softs
    on the table, doesn't seem to be trying to compete with anything.

I have toned down gold frames before if the frame is too gold.

That room needs plates. I love plates and think they
    would add so much to your room.

You are doing so good! Keep on keeping on.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Tinker, are we keeping you busy enough? You are doing an amazing job changing and posting pics!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol.. keeping me busy! I just looked at my house, and I'm not sure if I'm putting it together or taking it all apart! Pictures pulled from all sorts of places!

I have darken the gold frame - and will dry it again tomorrow. As I keep looking at it - I do begin to see what I like and what I don't like!

Plates - I have some I plan on putting in that room, where - I'm not sure! The plate rack idea might be more perfect in my adjoining breakfast room... I'll need to think on this - and you'll be sure to hear my thoughts! hahaha (I'll post of course!)

rafor, I do see that this picture plus the colors, and I like that! I'm just not sure the picture itself fits "this" house.. or at least what envision!