Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My sideboard, Before & After

Posted by tinker_2006 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 18:26

It's ALMOST finished.... but I need comments & thoughts!

I used AS Chalk Paint, and loved the color, but once I applied the wax, the finish became much darker. I really wasn't expecting as much of a color change the wax created. DH came home, and I asked if he likes it.. he say's "It's Okay"! What..??!! I don't want this to be "okay"!

This is my first big furniture project, and I fussed around a bit with it. I added a little crackle on the drawer fronts and top, DH doesn't like it, but it is very subtle.

Do you think I should use the dark wax to add an antique effect? I used it on a chair, and I thought it almost made it look dirty.. ??

Okay, so here are some pictures, Final, Final picture after I receive my new hardware (on order).

From Sideboard Makeover

From Sideboard Makeover

From Sideboard Makeover

From Sideboard Makeover

From Sideboard Makeover

From Sideboard Makeover

From Sideboard Makeover

From Sideboard Makeover

From Sideboard Makeover

From Sideboard Makeover

From Sideboard Makeover

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My sideboard, Before & After

It is beautiful! Very appropriate for the room and your furniture. It doesn't look dark at all to me.

o

It looks beautiful!
I wouldn't put the dark wax on it, but maybe that's just me.
I don't think that piece needs it.

o

Absolutely gorgeous. Perfect.

o

Beautiful! Bravo!

o

I don't think it looks dark. Did you "push" the wax down like you are pushing it into the wood? Did you wipe and buff afterwards? Did you use a wax brush? These are all things that will make the wax work as intended.

I would try a little dark wax around the detailed areas. I think it would highlight it beautifully. If it looks too dark, you can use the clear wax to pull some of the dark off.

Google "how to use Annie Sloan wax".

tina

o

It's gorgeous! I would probably describe it as being a fairly feminine piece - maybe that's why DH just gave it an "okay". I like tina's idea of a bit of dark in the crevices.

o

It's gorgeous, but I do think it would benefit from some bolder accents. Can you highlight some of the trim by using another color or a darker version of the color that is on the rest of the piece?

o

I love the color but (I don't mean to sound harsh) it looks unfinished. I think it needs something in the grooves that make the pattern on the front. Maybe if you took the blue paint and mixed a little black with it, and dry brushed that into the grooves (with a tiny artist brush)?

The original had 3 very different veneers on the front to highlight the shapes. I don't think you want to paint it 3 different blues, but it needs something to "embolden" the lines of those different areas.

Disclaimer: I am not a painter so my advice might be crap.

o

I would use the dark wax on it, to give it some depth and also balance better with the dark wood of the table and chairs.

You did a great job, and I think the color is very pretty.

o

Does it look "too blue" ? The last 2 pictures - are pretty much what I was going for... more a gray - blue

tinam61, I have her book and following instructions! lol

I felt I needed to post to get feedback, so keep it coming! Tomorrow is another day and I'll be able to see what I'm doing!

o

It's so pretty! As for the wax, could you experiment a bit on some scrap wood, applying the dark wax atop your blue to see just what the effect is of combining those two particular finishes? Maybe that would help you decide whether you want to take that step. You've done a lovely job.

o

I apologize in advance, as you'll want to reach through your monitor and strangle me, but I think you need more paint on the top; as I can see the area you repaired through the paint.

I also wondered what made the drawer front and other areas on the front lighter, and I see that is where you used the crackle. I think I might have crackled the whole thing, as it would have happened if an old finish had 'alligatored', or not done it at all, but I don't have her book, and perhaps that is suggested.

I think I might do a light application of dark wax on the raised areas as others have suggested to make them stand out more.

I found this blog which shows dark wax done in a crackle finish, and it highlights the crackling. I think it looks good!

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Country Style

o

I think discerning comments are probably more useful, but IMHO it looks great! I love it.

o

Thanks all for the suggestions, I will experiment a little tomorrow.

My3dogs, I'm still finishing the top, but that a patch of the crackle you are seeing. I had to quit, because it was getting to hard for me to see! Also, the drawer fronts ARE lighter... Not sure I'm loving that, but I used a lighter blue wax on top. I have to be very, very careful what I do from here on out. With the paint... I only have about 2 oz. left!

o

I had the exact same thought and even told DH, after applying the dark wax that it, "looked dirty".

Maybe the pix aren't a good represenation but it appears to me that more paint is needed. It looks a little uneven but maybe not irl. Gorgeous piece and it will be even more beautiful when accessorized.

o

I'm very surprised at how great that looks (I'm a stain it, don't paint it-girl ;-)! I have a similar sideboard and matching china cabinet that would look sooooo much better done this way (but they aren't nearly in as bad a shape as yours was), it's quite elegant, but I agree it needs something in the crevices.

o

The first four pictures were before the wax, right? Definitely took on a gray color if it was waxed, but it's still beautiful! I don't know if the wax alone will give highlights to the detailing, you might have to use a glaze. I use Valspar(it's sort of a cocoa color)over my blue, and it really brings out the detailing, and ends up pretty close to your finished piece so I always dry brush a little blue back on.

As funny girl has said, It does take on what her DH calls a 'dirty look', but I just call it antiqued and have no problem selling it. ;o)

o

Beautiful! I love how it looks in that room with your other furnishings.

o

I would dry brush some Old White onto the raised scrollwork and maybe onto a few rings on the legs. Or mix some white paint with clear wax and apply that.

And more dark wax into the grooves.

The picture shows a piece with some lighter accents.

o

I love it. Especially the simplicity of the piece. I'm torn on whether you should highlight the detailing.

I know nothing about paint or how a finished product should look, but should there be a light glaze on it to give it a little shine?

I had to LOL at your dh's comment. Whenever I ask my dh if he likes something, especially dinner, and he says "It's okay," I know never to fix it again. lol

o

I love it - it looks wonderful and you got some really good suggestions. I just mentioned to DH that I wanted to paint our buffet and I'm trying to decide between a blue like yours or a grey. Your post was perfect timing!

o

FoxesPad, so... now looking at the pictures, did you decide blue or gray?

I wanted to post a close up of the finish - so far.. as people keep thinking it need more paint. The top does need another coat (why I posted "almost" finished in the beginning), but the bas has 2+ coats.

I was hestiate to use the Annie Sloan dark wax again, as my last piece looked a little dirty. I read online how to color the wax, and I took the base coat and added a little white to lighten it... and mixed it into the clear wax for color. I rubbed this light wax on the drawer fronts, grooves, and the bottom half of the side doors. It just brings out a little layered effect, subtle... but maybe too subtle.

From 2012-08-28

Maybe I shouldn't have crackled, or crackled the whole thing... ? I saw a piece in the furniture store similar, with the top and drawers crackled, and that was what gave me the idea.

From 2012-08-28

o

Oh I missed the part about the crackle! I bought some of that stuff (for an old urn) but haven't used it yet.

I'm surprised you've had to use so much paint! That stuff usually goes a LONG way.

I think it looks great but still think the dark wax will highlight better than the light color you used.

tina

o

it's a great piece and you did a great job! it is a perfect piece for your room!!

since you ask, i do think it is alittle too blue (i also love the 2 bottom pics where it is a light blue-gray!), but i have no idea how you would change that-don't know if wax can tone it down... i think adding alittle more depth to the details, etc with a darker &/or lighter color might look nice too.

o

I love it!

o

busybee.. you want to keep me working like a bee! Yes, I think in is a little too blue for what I was after. Waxing the piece turned it blue. I'm looking into a "wash-over" to tone the blue down...

o

You did a fantastic job and it looks great in your space! Love the color.

o

Wow! Great DIY!

o

You said waxing the piece turned it blue. What color is the original paint? I actually like the light blue because it has an airy feel like the rest of your room.

My personal opinion is not to do anymore crackling.

o

I have no expertise to add at all but just wanted to say I think it looks so nice! Fresh and simple - just wonderful! It is an amazing transformation.

o

I love it. You did an *amazing* job, even not considering that this is your first piece. It's absolutely charming and you should be very proud of yourself.

Sure, go ahead and tweak it however if you're not thrilled with it yet. That's how we all learn. It's only paint, and nothing you do has to be permanent, so keep experimenting until you are pleased.

But hey -- ya done good!

What did you use to patch the missing wood in the back? Looks like a very neat job.

o

I love it, too! It would probably be beautiful a little grayer, but either way. Can't wait to see it with knobs and all finished. I bet two lamps, maybe glass ones, like one's I saw at Pottery Barn, would be beautiful on it.

o

Just had to come back and take another look. It's just beautiful. I really like the way the crackling sets the panels apart from the frame. If I were you, I'd be done!

o

You did such a beautiful job. How inspiring. Love it.

o

Very pretty! I think that's a great piece for your space. I like the crackling on the panels as a way to accent them a bit. Good job!

o

You did a fantabulous job with this piece, simply gorgeous!

It needs nothing, not a thing. It looks beautiful against your white bead board!

o

Fantastic!!!

o

Thank you everyone!

So yesterday, I decided to tone the blue down a bit (It was AS Duck Egg, which I added old white & a little graphite in to begin with). I didn't have many AS paints to work with, but I took pure white, mixed in graphite & Aubusson Blue to make a light gray with a hint of blue. Not sure if it's MY perfect color, but I have to stop somewhere, and this is close enough!

I nervously antiqued it by added a light brown wax, and I have one coat of clear wax overall the whole thing. Today I need to do some final touch ups, but for the most part it's done!

Question.. the top looks lighter, I'm guessing because of the way it is reflecting the sunlight. Do you think I should add a little antique wax to the top? ANy other suggestions?

A couple people asked about the top repair (which is why I ran out of the custom duck egg blue). A big piece of veneer had to be cut off. I angle the razor, and cut around any loose veneer. I used normal wood fill, sanded it smooth - but the next day it cracked. I dug out the crack, and refilled, it cracked again, so I tried another wood fill from sherwin williams.. that too cracked, so I decided to use the same stuff I used on the missing foot and broken area on the front. It's a 2 part wood epoxy, we have used to repair major wood damage. It was not really very spreadable, but it worked, and NO CRACKS! I love this stuff for missing wood, like the foot, it's moldable... if interested, I'll get the name!

Here are pictures from this morning (I finished last night - and too dark to take pictures!)

Blue Toned Down

From Sideboard Makeover

From Sideboard Makeover

From Sideboard Makeover

From Sideboard Makeover

From Sideboard Makeover

From Sideboard Makeover

o

Tinker,
That is just perfect.
I love how you are bringing your dr together.

o

I like that look much better! It may look different IRL, but I'd add a little more antique wax on the side door panels, and the ridges along the bottom of the doors.

I know you're ready to be done with this project! :)

o

You did an amazing job, it's beautiful!

o

lol. i am very impressed on how much you've done and how quickly!!! it's looking really great! i think i would add some wax to the top- won't hurt, imo! (easy for me to say from here!!)
i do think some color variation adds depth in pieces like this and looks nice!

o

Oh, it's soooo lovely! I thought it looked good before, but it's truly perfect now that you've tweaked it a bit. As for the top looking a bit lighter - assuming you'll be adding a few decorative objects to the top, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't notice it in your photos, and once you add a few items to the top, I doubt it's noticeable at all in person.

Nice job!

o

Congratulations! You've done a beautiful job now with changing the color and doing the wax - It's PERFECT!

I have a few questions - Yes, please do get the name of that 2 part wood epoxy?

You said you used light brown wax and clear wax, then you asked if you should put some 'antique wax' on the top. What is the antique wax?

Did you have any trouble getting the new paint to stick over existing wax?

Thanks!

o

I've used Quick Wood for many places where wood was missing. I can shape it to the profile that I need and it can be sanded easily too. I love that stuff.

That buffet is just stunning! Great job!
Diane

o

Thank you!! In the daylight I do like this color much more! I will be adding a little more antique wax - tomorrow! I took the day off to shop a bit.. didn't find much!

my3dogs, thank you! The expoxy is Abatron WoodEpox. It is the coolest repair stuff for wood. For example, a chuck was missing in the sideboard. I took a golf ball size of part A & part B and kneed it together. It makes a clay - where you and work with it.

broken piece, screws exposed, door loose.

From Sideboard Makeover

Filled with epoxy - let dry 24 hours and you can crave a little and sand alot!

From Sideboard Makeover

sanded

From Sideboard Makeover

finished - door securely screwed in

From Sideboard Makeover

The brown wax is the antiquing wax, but I added some paint to lighting it a little, the wax I have is very dark (almost black) and NO TROUBLE getting the paint to stick over the wax at all.

o

Looks beautiful! You hard work payed off...and then!

o

The darker antiquing wax looks 100 times better. Love the piece now, and I wasn't sure I'd like it painted but I do! Genius! You've made me think even I could do this, lol!

o

It's beautiful!!!

o

Could you take another pic of the whole piece against the wall?
I'm glad you did the wax, it's the defining element.

o

Tinker~
Most all the directions I've read with respect to
using the dark wax is to use the clear wax first.
If you still find yourself w/a pc. too dark you can
also use a hair drier to heat the pc. up and buff some
more of the dark off.
I found this link on youtube but there are many more
instructions out there.(It's either my computer or her recording ..The lips don't sync w/the words)
I have better luck using the glazes though.

Your hard work turned out beautiful.
Thanks so much for to info on the Abatron WoodEpox.
No reason to pass by those otherwise beautiful pieces.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz9Bem69Wb0&feature=related

o

Here's another one here...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wQk4jaWnfjo#!

o

Perfect! You did a wonderful job and to think you said you would not have time to get to it. You are lightning fast! I love it!

o

Perfect! You did a wonderful job and to think you said you would not have time to get to it. You are lightning fast! I love it!

o

thank you everyone. I do have a little OCD, so once I set my mind to something - I go full speed ahead!

forboystoo, thanks for the links! I did use clear wax first, but I just dabbed on the dark.. afraid of too much, but I'm going to go back and finish this (went shopping all day for lighting - found nothing yet!)

Bumblebee, here is a couple more shots - still need to complete it, so the mess is still there.

I just rehung that picture I had.. not sure what to put above it.. this looks to large, yes? what about frame color? mirrors, one picture or a couple.. so many things to think about and find!

From Sideboard Makeover

From Sideboard Makeover

o

It looks beautiful! All of your hard work paid off.

o

Everything looks good. I do not care for that picture there, what about something like this in a darker finish.
This one is from PotteryBarn

o

Wow, that's really nice. I'll have to bookmark this thread for when I do the guest BR dresser. Gosh knows when that will be!

o

Just my 2 cents, but I think the picture looks out of sinc~too small,the subject matter has no 'life', and it's too lack-luster in color.

The white of the print against the white wall is also not working. Maybe if the mat were changed out it would work.;o)

o

Just my 2 cents, but I think the picture looks out of sinc~too small,the subject matter has no 'life', and it's too lack-luster in color.

The white of the print against the white wall is also not working. Maybe if the mat were changed out it would work.;o)

o

I think patty cakes is correct. This art has no life. You need something with more spunk, with more character, like a great mirror or a large star or a striking piece of art with nods to the blue and brown and cream colors. A great looking vignette of objects on the buffet would be add to the ambiance.

o

yes... looking at it again this morning, it is pretty blah! It's a picture I had in our storage shed for a few years and I was hoping... oh well, another search to initiate!

o

Nope - haven't decided between blue or grey yet! Really thinking about using the AS Milk paint now. DH has used milk paint before per a client request and really liked it and my Dad used to use it all of the time on furniture.

Thinking that since DH will be the one doing the bulk of the painting that this would be a good time to really try to brink th emilk paint in as an option for clients.

Your piece looks so good!

o

Thanks FoxesPad... I really would like to know more about the milk paint too - saw it online a few places. I think I'm in trouble here.. I really enjoyed working on this piece, and may have the fever! I do need to focus on finishing painting inside this old house first - but that's not half as fun!

o

Tinker, I envision a vintage print, not floral , possibly botanical or even a landscape. When I say 'vintage', it doesn't have to be, but looks like it could be. ;o)

o

I do like landscapes, and I found this one today at a thrift store.. not really too vintage

From Sideboard Makeover

AND

my other thought was an oval mirror..?

From Sideboard Makeover

o

o

Ummmmmmm, too small tinker. How about a grouping of mirrors with this one in the center w/smaller ones around it? I have a small grouping of Italian florentine mirrors going up the stairs. I find groupings to be more interesting than one single picture/mirror.

o

Ummmmmmm, too small tinker. How about a grouping of mirrors with this one in the center w/smaller ones around it? I have a small grouping of Italian florentine mirrors going up the stairs. I find groupings to be more interesting than one single picture/mirror.

o

o

I do like the grouping idea.. or larger mirror? I found another today at a thrift store, it's rectangle, but not...hard to explain -

I also have another shed picture... I like the colors, looks great with the rug, but it is small. I was thinking wall plates along both sides..?

From Sideboard Makeover

o

I'm sorry tinker, but I'm just not liking the floral pictures, either one. But, maybe if there were something w/it, bracket shelves holding a plate, plate rack on each side, or a combination of different items. The picture looks just toooooooo lonely. ;o)

o

What about putting the picture or mirror off-center and then placing something tall on the buffet to fill in the wall space left to one side of the pic? Does that make sense?????? I like things a little different, so I often don't center a picture over a piece of furniture.

o

Rafor,, now why didn't I think of that? That's the way I have my buffet top set up, a lamp on one side and a vintage French bust of a woman on the other side. Even a lamp on each end with a series of pictures/mirrors would work. I always prefer more than less. ;o)

o

Either a pair of buffet lamps or one larger lamp with the picture off center might work. I think it would be nice to have a lamp on at night in that room.

o

aww... I knew it wasn't going to work, but so many pictures in my shed! I already gave a lot away, and need to take a trip with a load of things to Salvation Army!

Yes, yes.. I plan on 2 buffet lamps.. (that's the plan) I really need to see a picture of the off center idea, I'm a very symmetrical person, always have been!

o

Absolutely gorgeous buffet! I'd love to see the oval mirror- maybe painted/stained to match your table? If it's too small, add cute sconces on either side.

o

I'm not totally against the last painting you showed above your sideboard. I like the red background. I am partial to mirrors and an oval would be nice. Waiting for your next photo :)

o

I think you need something non-rectangular, maybe plates or an oval or round mirror.
Your sideboard looks absolutely amazing.

o

Yes, use buffet lamps and perhaps a much larger art piece like this:
Photobucket

o

The sideboard is beautiful.
After you get buffet lamps you will be able to
visualize size of picture needed etc.

Here is a picture of my buffet and I used plates
to fill in.

o

Another picture.
I would trade buffets with you in a NY minute!
The scroll work on yours is yummy.

o

I love the oval basket and white platter in this pic.
(The rest of the room isn't my style though)

o

nice citywomen! It shows that a smaller picture could work as well, and even a basket! How tall are your buffet lamps? They look great, and seem to fit. I went out and bought to cheap ones at HomeGoods.. just to get a visual, I was thinking they were too tall.. but maybe not?

Another shed picture! Since moving into this house, most of my old pictures just don't fit. I found two more pictures in the shed, one DH likes it.. I'm still thinking I might go with a mirror. I went looking for one yesterday.. and think my search may take a while.

Just looking at picture frame color, picture size, lamps. The accessories I just plucked up from my storage bin.

THIS ONE : Home Goods... I crossed it off my list, but posting it anyways.

From Sideboard Makeover

Storage Shed Finds
Like this picture, but the picture doesn't fit my house. Trying to decide on frame color and size...

From Sideboard Makeover

we kinda like this one.. DH really likes it, I'm not 100% sure.

From Sideboard Makeover

o

Wood frame on #2 ties the table/chairs to the sideboard. #1 is elegant and dramatic but may be too large with lamps. Gold frame and coloring of #3 looks a little washed out and blah on the wall.

o

Could we see #2 with the lamps? Arapaho is right about the frame.

I cannot wait to see this room completed. It is so wonderful already!

o

I'll take a picture of #2 with the lamps. I'm mixed - picture or mirror? What direction to head in!

o

What about a plate rack like in the below picture, or even just a collection of ironstone plates hung above?

I love the simple elegance of your room, but think it could benefit from the interesting layer a collection could provide.

Dee

o

o

It sounds like you really want a mirror in that room and something like lyban posted would be perfect.
Out of the 3 art pieces you've shown, #2 or #3 would work but I'd tone down the gold frame of #3.
Those lamps are ok, but the shades don't work. You need a more natural fabric on the shade, or else black shades.
Plus, the lamps may need to be taller once you decided on your artwork or mirror.

o

If you're up to it tinker, could you hang the red background floral print and put the two lamps with it? The frame is very gold but with your skills you could change it I'm sure. I'm probably in the minority but I'd love to see how that would look.

o

I also meant to say that print reminds me of citywoman2012's ... you could add some plates as she did which looks wonderful.

o

I have to agree with deeinohio. Something like the plate rack or another collection is what's needed. The pictures are okay, but the room needs something else other than a picture or mirror.

Do you have other white ironstone pieces like the pitcher on your table that you can display?

o

I would wait until you hang your chandelier before you decide on art and lamps on buffet. I think the room is going to be "filled" in a way it's not right now and you may find that the right mirror is just the perfect look and that lamps might be too much.

o

I like the plate rack idea, but - I don't have any collections, and for me to try to come up with a perfect collection.. that may take me a bit of time! lol... the pictures/mirror thing is taking longer than I thought!

arapahp, I was about to take another picture of the floral w/gold frame - but as soon as I reached for it -I noticed the frame is peeling - I never realized it is wrapped in paper!! going to donate that picture!

Just for fun, I put up my bedroom mirror, which is sitting on top of my dresser as I have never hung it yet!

From Sideboard Makeover

From Sideboard Makeover

o

I'd like to see the round mirror without the lamps. Also love the plate rack idea. You say you don't have any collections? Just put your regular plates on it!

o
forgot to add

I like the picture with the wood frame. The blue of the sky echoes the color of the buffet and the mat seems to match your wall color.

o

tinker my lamps are 36" ht.

The last mirror is too much frame.
The dark framed pictures seem to be over-powering the
buffet.

I can see the gold framed one dropped down several inches.
The colors seem to be softer and pulls out the softs
on the table, doesn't seem to be trying to compete with anything.

I have toned down gold frames before if the frame is too gold.

That room needs plates. I love plates and think they
would add so much to your room.

You are doing so good! Keep on keeping on.

o

Tinker, are we keeping you busy enough? You are doing an amazing job changing and posting pics!

o

lol.. keeping me busy! I just looked at my house, and I'm not sure if I'm putting it together or taking it all apart! Pictures pulled from all sorts of places!

I have darken the gold frame - and will dry it again tomorrow. As I keep looking at it - I do begin to see what I like and what I don't like!

Plates - I have some I plan on putting in that room, where - I'm not sure! The plate rack idea might be more perfect in my adjoining breakfast room... I'll need to think on this - and you'll be sure to hear my thoughts! hahaha (I'll post of course!)

rafor, I do see that this picture plus the colors, and I like that! I'm just not sure the picture itself fits "this" house.. or at least what envision!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here