Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

Help: stair treads, runner or?

nosoccermom
9 years ago

Dog slips on the hardwood stairs, now that she's getting old. Are stair treads "dated", ugly?

I've never seen these anywhere, but we need to come up with something quickly.

Or these rubber ones? They may be mor eof atrip hazard.

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 18:21

Comments (11)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think something that isn't firmly attached, as in tacked down, would be more hazardous to pets and humans than nothing.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I got some braided treads from Plow & Heart precisely for that reason, dogs just couldn't handle the three steps up into my bedroom, and I was worried they'd get hurt.

They've made a HUGE difference. The dogs go up and down now w/o stopping and fretting.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

What kind of dog do you have? A big guy, I'm guessing. I ask because my mother's dog (Siberian Husky) recently slipped and jammed he head into the next step, breaking his neck :(

I'm sure it was a once in a million occurrence, but I could easily see our old Weimaraner doing the same. I was going to remove the carpet from our stairs, but have since decided to wait until he's gone.

Since you already have wooden stairs, I would go ahead and do a full runner. He'd be less likely to trip/slip on a runner, and even if he did, there would at least be a bit of padding on the risers.

This post was edited by Errant on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 18:46

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Errant, that's so sad! Really a freak occurrence, I"m sure.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Very sad, I see our dogs do the same thing all the time now and it really makes me nervous.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

I am having the same problem with our english bulldog . Going up and down steps to go outside has become a chore for him ! Our basement steps are just bare wood . I was considering a remnant diy project , as the basement is only semi finished . I think a runner would look nice ! And you could still show off the hardwood on the sides . I have to comment that the rubber ones would be annoying when you get dirt in the pattern and maybe even a claw catches on one ..
    On a side note , beside slipping is your dog having hip or knee problems ? Mine just stsrted on a anti inflammatory pain reliever and now he will go down the steps easier . Going up is still bothering him tho . Next step is X-rays to see what to do next . Good luck to you !

• jackson2348
    9 years ago

We did a runner for just that reason. Also, we had wood treads in the house we lived in when the kids were young. We all (including me!) slipped down those stairs more than once in sock feet.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think the rubber ones are out, for the reasons mentioned, plus I don't see rubber on my HW.

Just wondering whether sisal treads aren't posing a hazard. Do they stay firmly put or are edges curling?

I'd prefer a runner, but the ones I've seen I don't like.

Is it possible to buy two/three regular runners (2'6"x8') and have them installed?

Also, is indoor/outdoor material slippy? Seagrass a tripping hazard because of its bulkiness?

BTW, medium size dogs that has knee problems but still runs really well. The problem are sudden side movements, like chasing a rabbit.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Lilyfinch, if it's just a few steps going in and out of your house, you can build, or buy, a dog ramp. Look on Craigslist. Someone is always selling one somewhere.

The neoprene of indoor/outdoor rugs can feel slippery, but I've not had a problem with the dogs slipping on the braided treads I put on my steps. but then, I have only two steps, plus the floor at the top, on which I don't have a tread, not an entire staircase.

If it's really just for the dog, I'd get treads. They're a LOT cheaper than a runner. A runner you either have to have the right tools to install it correctly yourself, or hire someone to install it. If they're not installed correctly, they are a serious slipping hazard.

With treads, you just put them down with double-sided tape and a rug pad yourself, and then you can just take them up in the future if you want to do so.

Any wood stairs w/o carpeting should be treated with anti-slip stuff so people in socks don't slip and fall. I have a very tough staircase up to the children's bedroom. It's very steep and the treads are very narrow, but there is no carpet on them. A carpet would make them more dangerous because of the narrowness of the treads. But they are treated, so they aren't slippery at all.

Nosoccermom, if your treads are wide enough, the anti-slip stuff might be enough for your dog.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What's that anti-slip stuff? I wonder whether we may have it because after 20+ years running up and down on socks, nobody has had an accident (knock on wood), except the dog two days ago.

I think I may just order the sisal treads as well.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I don't know what specifically as used on my stairs, as they were treated in 2003, when the stairs were built during a reno, and long before I bought the house.

I would not rely on it, solely, though, for dogs. I would get treads so long as you have a dog or dogs. I've had dogs follow me up those stairs, despite my telling them to stay put, and they basically go flying back down them on their stomachs (i.e.: slipping), but it's probably more because of the grade of the stairs and the narrowness of the treads. In other words, I think they'd still have rather harrowing trip down those particular stairs with treads on them as well.

You can Google it. There's all kinds of stuff. I'd probably go for something like this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anti-slip spray.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax