Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
update: knowing my limits in diy decorating

Posted by CLBlakey (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 18:16

I am finally finished the process took longer than I anticipated with holidays and getting the flu but it is finally done. Just so everyone knows I am super cheap and if there is no deal there is no purchase. All the paint in my home is hand mixed mistints that I buy at 4$ per gallon except for white I have to pay full price for that. So here goes the before pic for those who don't remember or haven't seen yet

Photobucket

the limit was I had to hire someone to do the crown molding on top of the cabinets. Here is the after
Photobucket

The cabinets were plain cheap builder grade to start with then I added bead board wallpaper to the center. Then 4 coats of white paint. The counters were laminate over plywood (too soft for that use) so though it was only 8 yrs old it had cracks in it where stuff had fallen on it. Rustoleum Stoneffects with the counter top coating solved that. 2 parts galaxy one part silver beach. The new faucet is a delta from home depot (sorry don't remember the name)The valance is temporary as I had the fabric in the house already so threw something up for the after pics. Oh I forgot we changed out the knobs for handles again home depot multi pack $27 for 10 handles. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement to hire someone it was hard not only because I am cheap but I like to do things myself too. It was so worth it he did a fantastic job you would have laughed if you had seen what we had first put up.(I was too embarrassed for pics)--- for the rest of the pics click on one of the pictures and it should send you to photobucket.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: update: knowing my limits in diy decorating

Absolutely wonderful, you should be beaming!!

o

Fabulous! I was thinking of trying the rustoleum-was it difficult to apply?

o

Gorgeous transformation!! :)

Fresh and elegant!

Really really Well Done!! :)

((clapping and cheering!))

o

That is awesome.

o

Love it, especially the birds in the upper corner!

o

Bravo! I just love it when a DIY project turns out as well as yours. Congratulations! Your hard work and thoughtful choices created a successful makeover.

o

wow! it looks gorgeous! what an amazing difference

o

Thanks everyone I am so happy with the outcome.

cyn427 - rustoleum was a long process not really hard but lots of wait and dry time. 3 days for each top coat. Everything else was pretty easy even the rocks not as hard as I thought. If you do try it be sure to remove sink etc I have seen it done without removal and it is just plain tacky.

Sandy 1963- The birds are my favorite part up there it is still in progress not really happy with the rest yet.

Total cost under $800

o

Beautiful! Great job!

o

Wow that is some update! Great job!

o

Wow! Well done...looks far more expensive than the cost!

o

Whoa!! Nice job! (And for that price?!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here