Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chijim

Do You Think This Bedroom Works?

chijim
9 years ago

It's by the same ID who designed the kitchen in another thread.

Comments (27)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

It makes the kitchen look fabulous!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Like the kitchen, there's too much visual stimulation from patterns for me. At least this room appears functional while the kitchen really didn't, IMHO. I love that footboard. I wish I could see the headboard.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Too heavy and cumbersome.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I like it.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

No, I don't. I'm beginning to think it's people with a ton of money and no taste who hire these ID's to come up with these awful ideas. :(

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

it's not the style I would have in my home, but I like the combinations of colors.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

"Do You Think This Bedroom Works?"

For what?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

It would be fine without the weird half tester behind the bed.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Nope, especially the heavy brown drapery behind the bed and the wallpaper is a little grandma-ish.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

Nope, does not work for me. Unless the theme is to cause nightmares! LOL

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

I'm not a fan. I like the sitting area by the window, and the nightstands are nice. Otherwise, too busy and dark.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

This is a really messy removal of the half tester to show how one wrong element like the half tester can really derail a room. The rest is pretty pure chinoiserie or aesthetic movement japonisme (the bed).

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I love it! The only semi false note are the night stands, which would have been better in another color---- dark gold or Chinese red.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

The bed still looks like a torture chamber gig, and that lamp is frightful.... And that's just the beginning of the horror of that room. I am sad to know that folks pay for this kind of thing :-(

• kswl2
    9 years ago

The lamp is pure Chinoiserie, it is a Look, capital L, and a very stylish one at that.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

The lamps are blanc de Chine Quan Yin statues made into lamps and the bed is Aesthetic Movement bamboo pattern from the late 19th c. Plenty of people with money and taste will pay for that kind of thing.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

I am talking about the lamp ting above the bed! OMG - what IS that????

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

It is a booby trap. Don't make your partner mad! I like the rest. Not the tester or the booby trap light. I don't like spider catchers over my head.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Its a chinoiserie garden lantern in the Regency style, sort of like the Royal Brighton Pavilion. For good or bad, the room is stylistically consistent covering various periods of chinoiserie from the 19th to the 21st centuries.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I like the lamp. Just not over the bed. I just wouldn't be able to sleep.

My son is always making booby traps and I am tired so excuse my sad attempt at humor. :) luckily he is only 5 so they are pretty easy to spot!

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

ha ha boopadaboo and Dit Toe!! I usually dig old garden decor, but not over my bed for g'ness sake. Pal, those are awesome descriptions and explanations to define the decor and theme. But none of them make it work for me :)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I think it works in the sense that the same lines, angles and patterns are repeated throughout the room. It is functional.
    The color elements are used appropriately but overall, I don't like it. I think it's ugly.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Removed pointless effort to discuss Chinoiserie ;-)

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 0:13

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think it's probably John Rosselli:

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Back in the day before Chelsea House went bankrupt, they had marvelous Chinoiserie lanterns in metal and wood, with the most wonderful wooden tassels (the part that is usually string or yarn or ribbon was also wood, carved to look like a textile).

• peony4
    9 years ago

I don't care for the scale of the lantern in the room. I would find another place for it. I like the bedside lamps, but the florals and yellow vases would have to go--I need more real estate on top of my nightstands.

But the worst part of the room, IMO, is the window seat. If I'm in a bedroom with a good book, I'm in bed, not perched atop a 15-inch bench. The window seat adds nothing to the room, unless it's hiding ductwork of sorts.

• Storhy
    9 years ago

-I'd remove the curtain overhang thing behind the bed above all else.
    -Replace the flower pots with something less floral and less bulky shaped. Lucky bamboo might fit the room's theme.
    -The nightstands would look better shiny gold, even muted metallic gold.
    -The slanted portion of the wall would look better in an aged gold color, soft not bold (a color not far from the darker figures in the wallpaper pattern).
    -Also not a big fan of window seating unless as suggested it's hiding something, ducts/storage?