Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swimkin

Taking a poll on walk-in closets

Zoe52
9 years ago

We are building a new home and will be doing the home entirely in wood flooring except for tile or stone in our bathrooms.

We will have two separate walk-in closets in our master bedroom that are separated by a hall to the bathroom.

I was leaning towards having wall-to-wall carpeting put down in the two closets as I hate to chase dust bunnies around in an enclosed area. My husband thinks it will look bad to have wall-to-wall in our closets when everything else is all wood. Both closets will have pocket doors and I assume we will be leaving them open most of the time out of convenience.

What do you think? Go for the wall-to-wall or leave it all wood with perhaps some area rugs instead?

Comments (21)

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

I have all wood in my home, except for the closets, which are carpeted. I wish now that IâÂÂd run the wood all the way through. JMHO.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Wood with area rugs would be my preference.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

We ran the wood into our closets - both the walk ins and the regular ones. In my walk in closet I have a beautiful silk Persian rug in the middle.

We recently had to replace a few floor boards in the family room and our contractor used a couple from one of the closets. That way we were sure the grain, stain color and the finish would match.

• lotteryticket
    9 years ago

We converted some space to a large walk in closet and ran wood in. It doesn't get the dust bunnies. I don't know if that's because I keep the door mostly closed but it's a breeze to clean with a dust mop. We live in a cold area and I a) don't miss the electric zap from the static caused by the old carpet and b) find the wood quite comfortable all year. Never going back to carpet.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I prefer wood in the closet as I find there's less dust and fiber on my clothing than I saw with carpeting.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Wood -- soooooo fast and so easy to simply Swiffer around the floor ......

• kitschykitch
    9 years ago

Wood with area rugs. You can always change your mind.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

The floor of my walk in closet is pretty much covered with shoes, dropped clothes, handbags, laundry baskets and miscellaneous other stuff. Under all of that is wood. It gets pretty dusty in there.

• rockybird
    9 years ago

I would definitely do wood. I have concrete overlay floors throughout the house. The nice thing is that they always tell me when they are dirty. I would rather see the dust bunnies to clean, than think of the dust embedded in the carpet. As others have said, you could always put a rug down.

• amck2
    9 years ago

OMG, timely question! I am having wood floors put in my bedrooms - installation begins tomorrow - so I have just emptied out and cleaned 3 w/w carpeted closets. I can't tell you how much dusty debris was matted into those carpets. I pride myself on keeping a clean home, yet I was appalled at all the dust that was flying. These carpets were pale cream (installed before we bought) and they didn't appear soiled at all. My eyes are red and swollen from all the dust I've been working in the past couple days.

Different strokes....but If given the choice I would never again have carpet in a closet.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I like the closet floor to match the bedroom floor, unless they are separated by another flooring.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

In the walk-in closets in the house I grew up in the area under the clothes rod was raised up as a shelf on a toe kick all around. The bottom shelf was full depth and it was topped in some areas by a shallower upper shelf. Shoes on the bottom. Purses or more shoes one shelf up. So there was a small area of floor in the middle of the closets to walk on but there was almost no "floor" in most of the closet.

It seemed like raising everything off the floor kept things a bit cleaner --and you could vacuum or run a dust mop down the middle without pushing dust onto your stuff. (and it was more organized).

This post was edited by palimpsest on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 22:33

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

Pal, we seem to always seem to think "going up" for storage. I like the idea of low storage in a closet. You just gave me an idea, without thinking closet world redo or under the bed. For some reason I can't sleep in a bed knowing there are storage boxes under it. Plus the dust sure likes to gravitate under there.

We had cabinets above the closets when I was a kid. This storage was great for using open space no one can get to most of the time and stacking on the upper shelf is either a mess or a pain to me.

Also, the idea of installing wood shelves in the hidden sides is another good one.

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all your responses...Sounds like my husband wins out! I am going to forgo the w/wcarpets. The closets are actually separated from the bedroom and are accessed from either side of a hallway that goes to the master bath. Now I am thinking of having some built-ins underneath the clothes rods so I won't have to dig too far under them to clean.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Ditto what Teacats said! We have wood floors and that extends into the closets.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

"We had cabinets above the closets when I was a kid. This storage was great for using open space no one can get to most of the time and stacking on the upper shelf is either a mess or a pain to me.

Also, the idea of installing wood shelves in the hidden sides is another good one. "

I had another shelf put up in my closets above the usual 1 shelf over the rod. It isn't as deep in most of my closets as the usual shelf is. the shelf over the rod is 15" deep and the extra 1 above it is 10" - maybe 11".

In one closet I had room to put the extra 'above' the usual closet shelf in at the same depth and still had room up there to put even another shelf! That one is 10-11" deep.

I also put in a shelf under the rod (and hanging clothes) on 1 side of my mstr bdrm closet. I use it to stack sweats/short/t-shirts.

• dakota01
    9 years ago

I have tile that matches the MB tile and I love it. I can't believe the amount of dust and crud I get on the floor. ,it's a breeze to just wipe it up. After seeing how much dirt there is, I would never go back to a carpeted closet. BTW, my bedroom has carpet and to me it doesn't look odd to have the tile, since it matches the bath.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

zoe52 - Your layout sounds a lot like mine!

Wood floors is the way to go!

We never close our pocket doors unless company is coming for dinner. :) The closets do not seem to get too dusty. I have double rods, sweater shelving and top shelves in both closets. We are fairly tall, so had them raised over the usual height for closets. Plenty of floor space underneath the lower hanging clothes. Easy to get a Central Vac under and along the floors. No area rugs needed.

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 22:37

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Buy a Roomba. I live in Florida and have tile throughout my master into the walk in closet. I moved some shoe shelves higher so Roomba can get under all the lower shelves. I have rods with pants which hang close to the floor but Roomba just goes under.

Much easier than trying to vacuum my hand.

Jane

• Mags438
    9 years ago

We've had both. Carpeting over wood floors, including all closets. DH reasoning was that it would keep the rooms warmer (aka: use less heat). Couldn't wait to remove all the wall to wall for all the reasons already mentioned - it was like a breath of fresh air!