Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy2828

Carpet Binding

christy2828
14 years ago

I want to get a large carpet for the family room and have it bound. I've googled it and come across Instabind where you do it yourself. Has anyone tried this? Thanks for any advice :) Christy

Here is a link that might be useful: Instabind

Comments (10)

• HomeMaker
    14 years ago

Don't know how large a carpet you are looking for and how much you want to spend, but in my experience, whether you buy the carpet from a mom and pop type store, or if you can get a remnant that is a good size and colour from a large carpet warehouse, most places will bind it for you.

If I remember correctly, I was quoted about a dollar per foot a year or so ago, so an 8 X 10 carpet would cost about $36.

Not too spendy and much less work.

I wouldn't try binding a carpet - a blanket maybe, but not a carpet. :-)

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I think it looks like a great idea, but it would depend upon the cost of binding in your area.

The last time I wanted a carpet bound in the serged style, the place where I got the rug would not do it, and I bought new yardage, not a remnant. So this could be an option, sorry I can't give you an opinion on how it works.

• christy2828
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I went to Home Depot and Lowe's for the carpet and neither one will bind it for you. I'd need to find someone. The size of the two carpets are 12 x 16 and 12 x 12. Also, I want the carpet to be made from recycled materials, so it narrows my search a bit - but can be found. Another thing, does the binding matter depending on the style of carpet? Thanks :) Christy

• christy2828
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, and it will be new yardage, not a remnant. I don't know where to find a remnant and I have specific sizes.

• HomeMaker
    14 years ago

Do you have any carpet stores in your area? Do the carpets have to be the same?
    Remnants can be pretty big.
    My friend bought a 12 X 20 remnant and had it made into two 12 X 10 carpets for very little $

• christy2828
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't know what serge is?? Do they have a spot in carpet stores that is just remnants?? Clearly I am new to this :) Thanks!! Christy

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

If you look at the Instabind website, they have a few different styles of binding: regular, serge, and rope.
    The regular looks like cloth tape, the serge looks like yarn wrapping and the rope looks like rope.

• christy2828
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, I see :) Thanks, Christy

• nicole__
    14 years ago

We actually have a place called a "rug bindery" here in Colorado. I've taken small pieces of carpet to them to be bound(for wiping our feet on), they turned out GREAT! The guy just uses an upholstery sewing machine to do the binding with....maybe an upholstery shop would take on the project?