Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyh_2010

Help finding charcoal-navy paint color

kellyh_2010
9 years ago

Hello,
I'm trying to find a charcoal paint color that leans navy for my bottom kitchen cabinets and island. We're painting the uppers white.

I really like Hale Navy by Benjamin Moore but it seems too Navy and Baby Seal Black from BM but seems too dark, afraid it would read black. Ideally, I'd like to find something in between but have not been able to do so on my own.

Would love any suggestion you all might have.

Thanks so much!

Comments (17)

• peony4
    9 years ago

We had our media room painted Martha Stewart's Magnetite. I don't have photos, but googled and found this link below. If you scroll to the kitchen, the cabinets look like Magnetite. It's a gray color, with a hint of navy. I really liked it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen cabs - Martha Stewart Magnetite

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

I don't have a sample handy, but it seems to me that farrow and ball down pipe might work.

Googled it and even found a kitchen painted with it. See the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: down pipe

• kellyh_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions, they look great online. I will have to find a Farrow and Ball place around here and get some samples.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

oh, tibbrix, I just google imaged f and b railings. I may have to find something to paint. Love it.

• amck2
    9 years ago

I was looking for a color exactly as you're describing and ended up using Martha Stewart "Wrought Iron" which I know sounds like it would be black. It's really a deep charcoal navy.

• kellyh_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love it too - it looks perfect. It's not easy to find a place that carries their paint though! And I live in a large metro area!

• kellyh_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, amck. That looks beautiful too! So many choices and I'm not great with decisions. I'm already stretching my "neutral" leaning comfort zone with doing the darker bottom cabs so am nervous :)

• louisianapurchase
    9 years ago

I just wanted to second Tibbrix's suggestion of Railings by Farrow and Ball. DS1's room is painted this color. I will honestly say though, at least in his room, it leans more navy than gray. I chose it off of their sample card thinking it would be more charcoal gray than navy but in this room leans more navy. Though, I must mention it was the only F and B color that I used without ordering the sample pot first. I actually ordered sample pots of the potential contenders of paint colors throughout the house then matched the colors at Sherwin Williams. They have the formulas in their computer already. All of the colors I used where I had ordered the sample first matched perfectly so I assume the Railings does as well. Like I mentioned before, it was just a bit more navy than I was expecting. Turns out, I like the color so left it as is.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

Found a kitchen with the island painted in f and b Railings. Very nice.

Don't be scared. Any of the colours suggested are quite neutral. Just neutral with a punch. It will look super. Just be sure to post pics of the finished product. I'm very jealous and really do wish I had something to paint this colour.

Here is a link that might be useful: island painted railings

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

If you want BM, I painted my boys' beds "Mysterious" -- it's close to a navy charcoal, in between the two you considered. In their room, the color doesn't read black, more like a bluish charcoal. I love it!

• sweet_tea_
    9 years ago

I just painted my DH's office today SW Needlepoint Navy, it's in their historic colors palette. I don't have any pics of it yet, but I'm sure you can pull up some google images. It dried out darker than I was expecting, but it's a very nice charcoal navy.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I was going to suggest Mysterious - I wanted to do a wall in my dr that color, but it read too black on the wall. Another possibility is BM French Beret.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Look at BM gray shower. A friend recently painted her pergola, exterior shutters and doors this color. It looks gray as you are approaching it and sitting nearby but when the sun hits it, it looks navy blue. It's an interesting and lovely color.

• kellyh_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! I have a lot to check out :)

Melle_Sacto and SJHockey - Do you get much natural light in the rooms you tried or used Mysterious? I think that makes such a big difference of whether or not these colors read too black (or too blue). Melle, do you have a photo of your boys' room?

From the large swatch I have, BM Baby Seal looks exactly like what I'm looking for but when I see photos online, in most cases it's used as a black and reads black.

Unfortunately, I have to pick the color before the room will be done. Wall board isn't even up yet but I am going to ask if we can place the order and wait until the last possible moment to confirm the color so I can try some of these in a more finished, lighter room.

Patricia43 - thanks! I will definitely add that to my list of ones to check. Along with Railings and Down pipe.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Kelly, the room gets a lot of natural light. Also, my friend tried mysterious on the exterior and it looked black there. There's no substitute for trying colors on your own walls!

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

My boys' room faces north/northwest-ish; it's receives even light most of the day, not very bright but not dark.

This is an older photo when we had finished one bed, now there are two. But it gives some idea :-)

This picture was taken outside, much brighter lighting than the bedroom:

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz