Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Before and After Garage

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

I don't think I have ever shown a photo of this garage before. It was so homely. My DH wanted to knock it down our build above it, but really we don't need any more sq footage. So we were at an impasse.

Finally he decided we needed new doors, since these were a smidge low for our SUVs.

I don't know how to post multiple photos directly into GW, so here is the before:

Comments (27)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here is the after. We are really pleased with it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The other thing I like about it is the color. Our front door was already Hampshire Grey, but now we have the color on this garage, on our stone cottage french doors, on our barn/shed doors, and on the back door of the front/back hallway that connects our front door.

• nhbaskets
    10 years ago

love, Love, LOVE! So many things I absolutely love. The garage doors are perfect as is the barn door. The crowning glory...your copper roof is gorgeous and to die for. Well done!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Pretty!

• Jamie
    10 years ago

That little rooflet looks great, and I bet it lives well, too. I love Hampshire gray and providence olive. I once painted the risers of a back stair one of those -- can't remember which -- and it looked so yummy down low with little natural light on it.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Really beautiful, the details of the copper rooflet, the small window, the copper light, and the color, simply lovely, and your garage now complements the house as it should. Can I ask, are the doors overhead doors or do they open out? I can't see the horizontal "lines" or a handle near the bottom for opening upwards.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Wow! My garage suddenly feels more homely than it did a minute ago. Your new garage is beautiful and really works well with your house.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone, we are happy with it too.

Bpathome, believe it or not, it is all one large overhead door; the white stile in the middle is fake.

And, the doors are actually (shhhhh) vinyl. None of the wooden ones had the raised stile in the middle, which, IRL, is key to making it look authentic.

• roarah
    10 years ago

Leave it to you to make even a garage beautiful! stunning transformation!

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

The pent roof is a nice addition but the door is fabulous. I wish I'd known about the raised style in the middle - that does make all the difference.

Really nice work.

• awm03
    10 years ago

They look great! What brand are they? Love those sconces too. I got new garage doors last year -- they really make a big impact on a home's appearance.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

It looks great!!! What company has this door. Maybe I could talk DH into it vs an addition to have two separate doors. Neither of us like the one door.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Roarah, you're so kind.

Thanks, Maire, Eandhl, AWM.

Here are the specs:

• pps7
    10 years ago

Perfection!

• mrsmortarmixer
    10 years ago

Wow, this gives me hope for our eyesore of a garage! It looks great!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

A single door? Crazy! Did you open up the space between the garage and the house? Love the open feeling. Congrats, think of your little stone house regularly (it makes me smile). Best, oldbat2be

• sis2two
    10 years ago

So charming!

• bpath
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing the specs! I'm showing it to DH!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi,

I got an email today from someone asking me the mfr of the doors and the price point. I figured I'd answer here.

The doors are by Fimbel (see drawing). Our price, installed by not painted, and with hardware was $8226. Note that the hardware was pricey; about $1300 for hand forged cast iron.

HTH

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Love love love!! I have been thinking of a little shed roof for our door to shield it from the baking sun that is warping the door. I did not realize you could get one door that looks like two, great idea!

You do realize though that in about five years you will be building a second two car garage, assuming only two of your children are at home and driving at any given time? Be thinking about it... I think that's where the elder caregiver should live because I can't see you ever leaving this house :-)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, KSWL.

As it happens, we have another 2 car garage at the opposite end of the house, near our guest parking area. Right now it is used for landscaping equipment, pots, outdoor furniture stowage, etc. But someday it may be pressed into use ...
    Our poor landscaper also lost the stonehouse to us ... so an ugly shed secreted somewhere on the property may be in our future.

We have since painted these doors the same Hampshire Grey:

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Uh oh, I guess your future caregiver will have to be put somewhere else, lol!

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

It looks great.

I love the siding on your house. Can you tell me about it?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi red lover,

It is just cedar, stained white.

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

What a difference those new garage door make! I love the color and the cottage details. I really like your other garage doors too. Very charming!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, thanks, Juddgirl. We are very happy with the transformation.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Do you remember the stain product? Thanks.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County