Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Before and After Garage

Posted by mtnrdredux (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 17:59

I don't think I have ever shown a photo of this garage before. It was so homely. My DH wanted to knock it down our build above it, but really we don't need any more sq footage. So we were at an impasse.

Finally he decided we needed new doors, since these were a smidge low for our SUVs.

I don't know how to post multiple photos directly into GW, so here is the before:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Before and After Garage

And here is the after. We are really pleased with it.

o

The other thing I like about it is the color. Our front door was already Hampshire Grey, but now we have the color on this garage, on our stone cottage french doors, on our barn/shed doors, and on the back door of the front/back hallway that connects our front door.

o

love, Love, LOVE! So many things I absolutely love. The garage doors are perfect as is the barn door. The crowning glory...your copper roof is gorgeous and to die for. Well done!

o

Pretty!

o

That little rooflet looks great, and I bet it lives well, too. I love Hampshire gray and providence olive. I once painted the risers of a back stair one of those -- can't remember which -- and it looked so yummy down low with little natural light on it.

o

Really beautiful, the details of the copper rooflet, the small window, the copper light, and the color, simply lovely, and your garage now complements the house as it should. Can I ask, are the doors overhead doors or do they open out? I can't see the horizontal "lines" or a handle near the bottom for opening upwards.

o

Wow! My garage suddenly feels more homely than it did a minute ago. Your new garage is beautiful and really works well with your house.

o

Thanks, everyone, we are happy with it too.

Bpathome, believe it or not, it is all one large overhead door; the white stile in the middle is fake.

And, the doors are actually (shhhhh) vinyl. None of the wooden ones had the raised stile in the middle, which, IRL, is key to making it look authentic.

o

Leave it to you to make even a garage beautiful! stunning transformation!

o

The pent roof is a nice addition but the door is fabulous. I wish I'd known about the raised style in the middle - that does make all the difference.

Really nice work.

o

They look great! What brand are they? Love those sconces too. I got new garage doors last year -- they really make a big impact on a home's appearance.

o

It looks great!!! What company has this door. Maybe I could talk DH into it vs an addition to have two separate doors. Neither of us like the one door.

o

Roarah, you're so kind.

Thanks, Maire, Eandhl, AWM.

Here are the specs:

o

Perfection!

o

Wow, this gives me hope for our eyesore of a garage! It looks great!

o

A single door? Crazy! Did you open up the space between the garage and the house? Love the open feeling. Congrats, think of your little stone house regularly (it makes me smile). Best, oldbat2be

o

So charming!

o

Thanks for sharing the specs! I'm showing it to DH!

o

Hi,

I got an email today from someone asking me the mfr of the doors and the price point. I figured I'd answer here.

The doors are by Fimbel (see drawing). Our price, installed by not painted, and with hardware was $8226. Note that the hardware was pricey; about $1300 for hand forged cast iron.

HTH

o

Love love love!! I have been thinking of a little shed roof for our door to shield it from the baking sun that is warping the door. I did not realize you could get one door that looks like two, great idea!

You do realize though that in about five years you will be building a second two car garage, assuming only two of your children are at home and driving at any given time? Be thinking about it... I think that's where the elder caregiver should live because I can't see you ever leaving this house :-)

o

Thanks, KSWL.

As it happens, we have another 2 car garage at the opposite end of the house, near our guest parking area. Right now it is used for landscaping equipment, pots, outdoor furniture stowage, etc. But someday it may be pressed into use ...
Our poor landscaper also lost the stonehouse to us ... so an ugly shed secreted somewhere on the property may be in our future.

We have since painted these doors the same Hampshire Grey:

photo file-15.jpg

o

Uh oh, I guess your future caregiver will have to be put somewhere else, lol!

o

It looks great.

I love the siding on your house. Can you tell me about it?

o

Hi red lover,

It is just cedar, stained white.

o

What a difference those new garage door make! I love the color and the cottage details. I really like your other garage doors too. Very charming!

o

Oh, thanks, Juddgirl. We are very happy with the transformation.

o

Do you remember the stain product? Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here