Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoovb

Would appreciate window covering help

I have been on GW for so long, but never posted a question here. Usually I'm outside in the garden. I've been lurking a while and have learned from all the interesting threads. So my first question.

DH has decided he'd really like blackout drapes for the MB. What would you use? Privacy is not an issue, as the next house is quite a bit below, so no one can see in. DH likes to sleep in occasionally on the weekend and he'd like to do it in blackout conditions. There are cellular shades on the windows that are showing their age. I am okay with replacing or getting new ones or something else The french doors have nothing. We like rooms that are not super elaborate, but something on the windows would be nice.

Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated. I'm pretty good at gardening, but indoors--hopeless. Really hopeless.

Comments (16)

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I love the simplicity of your room. If you want to keep the style you have, the simplest change would be changing to blackout cellular shades and then adding blackout cellular verticals to the French doors.

Another option would be roman shades on the windows and then use the same fabric for drapes on the French doors. That alcove is so perfect for adding drapes.

Do you have a budget in mind?

For fabric for that room, I would lean towards a simple linen in a natural color with a blackout lining. Or change the whole look of the room by adding a beautiful color?

Here is a link that might be useful: Blackout verticals

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much greywings. Those are excellent ideas. I will look at the option of cellular+vertical cellular in white(?) vs. roman shades+drapery in a natural linen fabric. That is not the sunniest room in the house so I don't want to go dark colors.

I can paint the walls a different color as it has been a while and is maybe time to paint again. Since I can paint, it is only the cost of the paint and that is not super expensive.

• Laurie
    9 years ago

I agree with graywings...the simplicity of your room is beautiful. I like the flooring, the furniture, & the bedside lamp.
    The windows let nice natural light into the room, but I understand the need to block light when wanting to sleep in.

I have no experience with Pottery Barn's drapery, but I notice that they have some with blackout lining as an option.
    Their Emery Linen/Cotton Drape comes in 10 different colors & is on sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn Blackout Curtains & Drapes

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those are really nice, laurie_2008, thank you. I will investigate that.

Most of the time the drapes would be open because the doors are almost always open for fresh air. It's just those occasional Saturday mornings.

• Laurie
    9 years ago

If you decide to go with drapes, I would mount them higher than where the blinds are currently mounted. Maybe a little less than half way between the ceiling and the top of the window.

I would also have the rod extend width wise as far as possible. Then, when the drapes are fully opened, the stack back (the width of the drapery panel when the drapery is opened) will allow most of the window view & light to enter the room.

• ogrose_tx
    9 years ago

OT, but take a look at some of hoovb's garden pictures, a sight to be hold! Talk about decorating!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Where can I see the pics ogrose? I love gardens but have a brown thumb so I live vicariously through others.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The french doors are in an alcove 15" deep, so I thought to go to the very top of the alcove, then align the window ones on the same horizontal plane as the top of the alcove. I would really like the window ones to go to the ceiling, but that will not agree with the french doors, so that would not work. Right?

ogrose you are very kind!

Plants are 100 times easier than interior decorating. You make a mistake with a $5 plant, or a $2 package of seeds, oh well. You make a mistake with furniture or something, it's $500 or $1000 or much more!

• southernheart
    9 years ago

Your garden is absolutely breathtaking! You are very talented!

I agree that you could certainly keep any window treatments as simple as you want. Someone above mentioned Pottery Barn; I have both PB roman and roller shades and have been very pleased with their quality.

• Laurie
    9 years ago

Beautiful garden pics! Wish my flowers looked that good.

Your plan to go to the top of the alcove, then align with the windows is a good idea. It would look best for all of the rods in the room to be the same height (if all windows will have drapery).
    If the alcove has drapery & the other windows have shades, I'm thinking the shades don't need to be mounted any higher than they are, now.
    Maybe someone else can chime in on how high the shades need to be mounted.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

You " ain't seen nuthin yet" . Those pics are a mere tip of the iceberg. Can we twist your arm for pics of your whole garden, hoovb, in all it's spring glory?

• ogrose_tx
    9 years ago

Ditto what martin said...

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! A question on the drapes, I have been looking at a fabric like this (see link) with drapes for the french doors and roman shades for the windows because there is not much space by the windows to "stack" the drapes. Do you think it is too contemporary, and will get dated quickly, and is it a stylistic mismatch with the rest of the room? This is the fabric that Dear Husband liked. I thought just a linen with a subtle stripe in it, but DH thought that was rather boring.

okay, i think i got the photo to show up here.

This post was edited by hoovb on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 11:33

• Laurie
    9 years ago

I don't think that fabric will become dated quickly. There is not any pattern/print on your bedding that I can see. Adding some pattern in the room will look really nice. If it was my room, I would make accent pillows from that same fabric to add to the bed (I like to sew).

If you are going to open & close the drapes daily, I would not have the length break (slight puddle) at the floor as the picture shows. I'd have the length go almost to the floor...about 1/4-1/2" from the floor.

The fabric you posted reminds me of fabric I have seen in various places. Ballard Designs has fabric called "Adler" available in taupe or spa. Kravet Riad (link below) looks similar, too.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Kravet Riad

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Laurie, and that is a good idea about accent pillows as well. The drapes will not be as long as in the photo. They would be just barely above the floor, as you say, 1/4"-1/2". Thanks for your help.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Hoovb, your garden is glorious. I have a brown thumb, so to me, decorating is far easier than being a successful gardener. I would love to see more of your beautiful garden.

I really like the pattern on the drapes you linked and I think it would look fine in your lovely room.