Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zipdee

Okay guys ,, show me your funkiest chair makeovers ideas.

zipdee
14 years ago

I found 2 homeless chairs today hanging out beside the road. They need new foam and covers made for them, but they are very sturdy and I think will be super cute once redone. I'm looking for funky, fun chair ideas. Something along these lines .. have any great inspiration pics you've saved?

They are actually closest to chair #1 here in that they have a wood frame with cushions.

Comments (41)

• User
    14 years ago

Those are all neat funky, but would love to see actual photos of the ones you picked up. They might inspire us too. I'll go see what I can find as soon as I vacuum the Ladies Parlor. Hubby's home so I can only pop on and off the boards today. Hee....

• User
    14 years ago

Here we go. Not sure how much I have, but I'm showing you what I have that might help you decide how to make your "new" chairs funky...
    ONE
    {{!gwi}}
    TWO
    {{!gwi}}
    THREE
    {{!gwi}}
    FOUR- using lace to add detail to the wood areas...
    {{!gwi}}

Well that's it for now. I'll do some searching later, but I doubt I could find anything you couldn't find googling images.

• karoloke
    14 years ago

Wow, what fun chairs! How do you think they did the lace pattern on the chairs in the last picture above? I thought they were upholstered at first, but as I look closer it looks like they are painted. If so, I wonder how they did it.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

These are from TheBargainLife.com:

These are from ElementsofStyle.blog.com:

Close-up of chair backs showing fabric possibility that did not work.

And more reupholstered and painted vintage from blog.terrysfabrics.co.uk:

{{!gwi}}

And from hollysstreet.blogspot.com:

This is reupholstered in quilts. For lots more exciting examples click the link below:

Go wild with your uphostery. But not tooooo wild like www.pointclickhome.com/blog did:

See a pattern here?? For reupholstery ideas check out blogs. Blogs baby. It where it's at.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reupholstered in Quilts

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

You asked for funky reupholstered chairs..........

http://freshome.com/2008/07/31/funky-patchwork-furniture/

"The best way she found to showcase the fabrics from her antique textile collection was to combine them with period furniture. By mixing her vintage stash with contemporary fabric, her colorful upholstered furniture pieces have fused into truly one of a kind designs. The types of furniture ranges from chaise longues to footstools, cabinets and all types of chairs. Her accessory line also includes patchwork lampshades, bedheads and cushions."

4.bp.blogspot.com

• User
    14 years ago

koraloke, to get the lace look as on the chairs above you need some real or plastic lace that's pretty. The chairs above were painted black first. Once your base coat is completely dry carefully lay the lace so the pattern you want to show is over the area you'll be painting. Using spray paint, they chose ivory, spray in even coats over the lace. I'd do this in a few light coats as you would with any spray painting. Once you feel you've covered it enough, carefully lift one edge to peek at how it looks. If it's to your liking, lift the lace off.
    The lace can be used over, but it becomes stiff. It must be completey dry before you us it on another piece or it will not only stick, but might leave paint markings you don't want on the next piece.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

From didibjornerud.com. The last one (s)he reupholstered looks like the answer is, Col. Mustard in the Library with an Ax. That poor dinner guest.......

{{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Awesome inspiration pictures, JGTBM & Dilly! Thank you both so much for posting them for me!

Here's one of the set of chairs I picked up. The foam is shot as you can see in the pics, it needs to be replaced and new covers made. The chairs are very solid though and in good condition. I think they'll be fairly easy to re-do.

Full chair, really replacing the cushions and reupholstering that small bottom section is all there is to this project.

Wood back :

Cute detailing on the arms :

All in all a great starter project and the price was right ;)

• User
    14 years ago

zipdee, what an awesome find. And you found two of them! Lu-uh Key !

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks JGTBM! Tomorrow the girls and I are going to go look at fabric. A friend of mine told me about a huge wholesaler here that sells to the public too, I guess they have a 35,000 sq ft building full of upholstery and drapery fabrics.

• User
    14 years ago

karoloke: Wow, what fun chairs! How do you think they did the lace pattern on the chairs in the last picture above? I thought they were upholstered at first, but as I look closer it looks like they are painted. If so, I wonder how they did it.

EASY: Get cheap lace, preferably plastic or you can spray it with a clear acrylic to seal it, spray the back of it with a temporary adhesive and stick it to the chair. Spray paint the chair, peel off the lace.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Zip: Those are wonderful chairs!! Can't wait to see the finished results (and a full report of course! LOL!)

Lucky find indeed!

Jan

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Jan! :)

I've been looking for chairs closely or even some what styled like these to give me a jumping off point .. so far I've found nothing though.

They are obviously vintage, not antique. They seem to be a mix of styles too.

• wbgroovy
    14 years ago

Look forward to seeing what you come up with! I can't really show you any after pictures, but here are two chairs that I just got that I am going to redo. But I think I am going to take them from Funky to ????? well I really haven't decided yet.
    {{gwi:1388326}}
    {{gwi:1388324}}

• User
    14 years ago

wbgroovy we can't see your pictures. Sure would like to though.

• wbgroovy
    14 years ago

Sorry! trying again

• User
    14 years ago

Thanks for trying again wbgroovy! What a neat chair. Looks as though it may be from the 1940s. I would love to come across a pair of neat chairs like those. The only older chairs I seem to find in pairs are wing chairs! I already have four of them.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

I'm getting dizzy!

{{!gwi}}

• nhb22
    14 years ago

Oh gosh! This last patchwork chair reminded me of when I first got married. My DH had an old lounger that I absolutely hated. Knowing that we could not afford a new chair, I took it upon myself to recover his chair...in RED corduroy (OK, everyone can laugh now!). Well, if that wasn't bad enough, I ran out of the red, and so did the store. I ended up buying green corduroy and put the green on the back of the chair. We called it our Christmas chair (everyone can laugh even louder now!). Needless to say, that chair didn't come with us to our next house. Oh, those were the days! :)

• karoloke
    14 years ago

Thanks justgotabme and lazygardens. I thought that was what they did but wasn't sure. Doesn't sound too hard.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wbgroovy .. beautiful chairs! I can't wait to see what you do with them!

Jane .. fun chair, great way to use up fabrics.

Newhomebuilder .. Love your Christmas chair story! :D

Well my daughters and I ran up to the fabric warehouse, it was huge and pretty overhelming in the amount of fabrics they had! They were so, so helpful there. The lady spent over an hour walking around with us, cutting free swatches and talking about different color schemes .. she was great!

Here's the fabrics that we brought home that made the first cut, I have almost this many that wouldn't fly with the greens/blues in the house once we tried holding them together. Most are around the same price range, with the exception of the middle fabric in the first picture, it's a lot more expensive.

Which is your favorite for these chairs? Also please think about how the wood work would look painted white, creamy white or black up against the different prints.

That black polka dot actually looks great against the greens. It's a raised print, very neat fabric.

• equest17
    14 years ago

Going by the last photos where the fabric are all laid over the inside back of the chair, I like the far right or the third from the left if you want something funky. I'm always drawn to that fun green shade and the bold print. I think either would look great against clean white or gloss black woodwork, maybe with a contrasting solid or small print fabric used as double cording around the frame.

• suero
    14 years ago

I don't know why, but the print on the top left in the last picture really appeals to me.

I just reread your post. Maybe because it's the most expensive ;-)

• pugga
    14 years ago

I can't tell from the pictures if the greens are the same but I'm kind of liking the houndstooth mixed with the green and white floral next to it. Something like the area under the seat cushion in the houndstooth and the back and seat cushions in the floral, with the wood painted white.

My second choice is the black dots. If my only choices are creamy, white, or black I would choose black. But you could do some really fun paint colors with that black dotted fabric!

• nhb22
    14 years ago

I like the top left as well (originally the middle swatch on the seat bottom). 2nd choice would be the top right(originally the right swatch on the seat bottom).

That paisley print on the bottom is a very outdated...older pattern

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

My first choice is top left then top right is second. My third would be the large green print. Have fun such cool chairs! you curb shopper you!

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so, so much for the help this far! That middle fabric is beautiful, isn't it? It's pricey at $50.00 a yard. The rest run from $10.00 - $18.00 a yard. The one exception being that thin strip of mossey colored velvet .. that was in the discount room and it was $5.00 a yard. It's hard to tell, but it's a very, very pretty color. They had about 9 yards of it left .. I'd love to pick it up for a sofa, then throw some other fabrics in the mix. Like do the outter part in green velvet and the inner part in something punchy.

They have another warehouse that's local to us, I might take a run up there this week to see what they have. The lady that was helping us said they carried a lot of different prints there. It's proving harder than I thought it would be to pick a fabric, I think I was presented with too many choices and have become a little overwhelmed. *LOL*

• wbgroovy
    14 years ago

I vote the one on the far right with dark brown piping and creamy white on the chair. Second choice would be black pattern with a green piping and black on the wood.

I think those chairs will finish up amazingly.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wbgroovy .. I think both the color schemes you come up with are awesome, but the black polka dot, with green cording grabs me.

Okay .. let talk color schemes for the house, I know you are all so, so bored with these pictures, but this is the best way for me to explain.

When you walk in the hall is light green :

If you turn to the left you go into the living room, this is where the chairs will be going, one on each side of the fireplace. Is there anyway .. anyway you can think of to keep the room red, but use the black polka dots on the chairs with the green. The sofa is an open slate .. I'll be buying a vintage piece and redoing it, so the fabrics can tie as need be. The reason being red, black, green and white are repeated over and over again in my house. Now if that's going to look hoaky .. what color would you paint above the wainscotting?

The green, red, black and white are pulled from my kitchen:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hehe .. I hear crickets in here :D

The red blew it, huh?

I'm at a point in the house I need to make a color scheme choice, since I'm starting to re-do furniture. The red right now is minimal and can be changed out, it's a few touches in the kitchen and these red walls which can be repainted, if I can figure out something to go with the green, white and black which is all over my home.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

I like the most expensive fabric too ;-) But if you want to bring the green in, can we see pics of the swatches on top of your green cupboard?

• awm03
    14 years ago

What a fun thread! I'm so enjoying these great chairs. Wonderful ideas here...

zipdee, I am in love with you home. What fabulous architectural details! What is that luscious red?

• wbgroovy
    14 years ago

Maybe a red throw or small red rectangle pillows on the chair seats????

• User
    14 years ago

Well zipdee, my personal favorite is right along with Suero and the fifty dollar a yard fabric. Only I'd leave the upholstered part intact.
    But you said you wanted "funky" and in your home that would work best. I love your home by the way and could look at it over and over again. I wish GW would allow members to have their own photo albums. It would be so much easier to remember whos home was whos. (Is that how you spell that? Coming down off a major allergy headache and my thinker is still half asleep.)
    So for funky I'd either go with wbgroovy, but leave the wood as is boxing the seat cushion with the green welting/piping, or the houndstooth allover with a deep red welting.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ajsmama .. all the green swatches on the chair will work with the rest of the greens in my house. When we brought home the swatches I weeded out all of the greens that wouldn't work.

Awm03 & JGTBM .. thanks so much for the help and the kind comments on the house. It's been a lot of work, but I've enjoyed the process of slowly watching it evolve into the cottage I've always wanted.

Wbgroovy .. I was thinking custom made pillows too. I think the black, green, white and red can work, but for it to fly I'm going to have just 'take the jump' and be fearless in mixing the colors. :D

I brought the cushions to a local shop that does sewing yesterday .. I wanted to get them priced out verse me doing them myself. She was very reasonable .. around $100 a chair .. that's sewing both cushions for each chair and making all the double welting for me to put on the bottom upholstered part. I supply the foam, batting, fabric and cording. She does an excellent job too and is very careful with matching up the fabrics. I think that's the way I'm going to go on them.

• readerlearner
    14 years ago

I really enjoy reading your threads. I think you are a great bargain hunter, the best. I am often jealous of your finds.

Those chairs are adorable and here you had been looking to buy and find some on the side of the road. I think you have great luck.

I like the third fabric from the left for the cushions with the second fabric from the left mixed in at the bottom of the chairs, with white pipping. And maybe a couple of red throw pillows. I would leave the wood natural or black you have lots of white already.

Everything that I have seen you do, has turned out great and I am sure these will too.

Great price on the upholstering by the way. I often wonder where you live, you have great prices there. I am in California and the prices are terrible here.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

• User
    14 years ago

So have you decided which fabric yet?

• budge1
    14 years ago

Just to throw another idea out there zip - why don't you do a short contrast fringe around the bottom cushion where welting would normally go. I've always wanted to do this, but haven't found the right piece yet.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Readerlearner .. aw, thanks! It's seriously nice to hear you like to read my posts. I always kind of feel like I'm running in a million different directions at once and I figured that you all probably thought I have a form of decorating attention deficit disorder.

We live in North Carolina. I'm originally from NY though and I know from comparison, the cost of living in general is much, much lower here.

JGTBM .. I'm almost 99.9 % positive I'm going to go with Wbgroovy's suggestion and do the black polkadots, with the green velvet cording. I called and put a hold on the green velvet today since it's in the discount room, I can't beat $5 a yard for velvet. I'm going to try to get there tomorrow to pick it all up, then drop it off at the shop.

Budge .. I love the idea of fringe! My next big project after these chairs will be a sofa for this room, maybe fringe will show up on it :)

I stopped one other fabric warehouse today and boy, they had awesome prices on some stuff. I dug through their remnant stacks and found two pieces I really liked!

I bought 4 yards of this at $2 a yard, it's indoor/outdoor and I'm totally in love with it. I'm not sure it's going to go on the glider yet, but I think it looks great on it.

I bought 6 yards of this and again it was $2 a yard. I have this in mind to do a seat cushion for a bench I'd like to put in the hallway :

Just showing them from the top :

• wbgroovy
    14 years ago

I agree with you; the red looks fantastic on the glider. You have a wonderful home that looks spacious, comfortable and inviting without being stuffy. I look I find very appealing.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wbgroovy .. isn't that a fun print on the glider? I think if I watch their remnant bin I might be able to mix and match some outdoor fabrics and smaller projects very reasonably. Thanks for the kind comments, I wanted my home to feel comfortable and welcoming for everyone, while also keeping it durable enough for lots of kids and pets.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!