Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akl_vdb

Finally one thing right with reno, please help me pick grout!

akl_vdb
9 years ago

I need help with grout choice for my front foyer and fireplace little hearth area. Same tile. We live in messy winter Canada. Do I go with the darker grey or the lighter?

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up! i think I like the lighter (oyster grey), but wonder if it clashes, and if the darker (natural grey) would just be safe.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I like the lighter color. I think the dark clashes, but that's probably because the tile looks tan, not grey, on my monitor.

• User
    9 years ago

Lighter

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

On my monitor, the light grout completely disappears into the tile, and I think that's a nicer look. It sort of tricks the eye into thinking it's all one slab of stone.

But my entry tile in a similar climate looks very similar to the dark. I think it started light.

Is it an option to do light on the hearth, and dark in the foyer?

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

nice tile! what size and brand is that>?

• msrose
    9 years ago

Love, love, love your floor! I like the grout color to blend with the tile, not stand out, so I think the lighter one looks the best. Young House Love just did a post on their floors yesterday and it reminds me of yours.

Here is a link that might be useful: Young House Love

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

I like the lighter because it blends more. Love the tile!

• ellendi
    9 years ago

I like the lighter but have a feeling it will show the stains in the higher traffic areas.
    I don't think stains will show with the darker grout. A friend of mine did dark gray grout on her bathroom floor and it still looks the same as when she put it in.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Even the light grout is pretty dark compared to white. I would go with the lighter grout and just make sure it's well sealed if it needs to be.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Lighter, unless you want people to see a grid of grout lines when they walk in (you might, it's a look).

I was just picking grout today and I thought, they all have those little fans that make you think "ooooh, look at all the colors" but 99% of the time you are trying to choose between greys and there are like, 3. Those grout fan decks appear to be plentiful but in reality then needs a dozen greys and a lot less of the other!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, sounds like lighter is the winner. DH likes the light one too. I like how it disappears, that's the look I'm trying to go for!

The tile is Babylon by Ames, 12 x 24 in sand. BAYS1224 is the model #. it's a new tile and I had been unable to find any internet pictures!

thanks for the love on the tile!

Here is a link that might be useful: tile, but no pic!

• chispa
    9 years ago

Is there a color in between those two? I've learnt to go a bit darker than my first pick as it always dries lighter than those plastic samples.

Are you sure the tile is gray? It really looks tan in the photos!! I would pick a darker tan based on your photos.

• msrose
    9 years ago

It must be a difference in our monitors, because it definitely looks gray on mine.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Lighter

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's not really grey or tan. It's sandy, with some grey in it. The grey grout definitely looks better than the tan grout, doesn't match at all!

There is no colour b/w those 2 (out of the what, 20 or so colours, you'd think there'd be something!).

These were the initial ones I thought would match, then yesterday DH picked the same 2 out all by himself (tile guy left the samples to pick after the tile was laid).

Thanks! He's coming later today to grout. And out of all the clowns that have been in our house, the tile guy and the hardwood floor guy have been so awesome. No wasting time, careful with our stuff, pride in their work. It's awesome.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As promised, here is an updated pic or 2!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did pick the lighter grout. Thanks for all the help, it looks awesome.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

I love the lighter - you made a good choice. It gives you a little room for it to slightly discolor with wear and tear (I refuse to say dirty).

What is the name (brand/name, etc). I looks similar to what my daughter put in her bathrooms.

• msrose
    9 years ago

I love it! You must be thrilled.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! The brand is Ames, babylon in sand, 12 x 24. It's new, and I can't find any pics anywhere. Not like my old tile was bad (well, it was pink, but it went great with the pink carpet :) ), but this was a great refresh!