Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
movinginva_gw

Opinions and few tips on my living room maybe . . .

movinginva
11 years ago

Hello All,

I think I finally have my living room figured out . . . well, mostly. We went with a modular sectional, and configured it so that the longer end runs down the long wall, and allows for more walking room next to the bar area. It seats 5 comfortably, which is nice so no more worry about trying to fit something else in there. The only problem I have is that it is a dark brown, and I really wanted a shade of tan, but the price for the quality was way too good to pass up. I just need a few tips and thoughts on my plans to finally complete this room.

- Since the sectional is darker, what color would you recommend to lighten it up a bit. I can make new covers for the pillows. I have tied just plain white, but it seems like too much of a contrast.

- I picked up the matching ottomans over the weekend, and will be using those as a coffee table. So far they seem to be working out really well, particularly since they have storage. I am considering covering them in a bold geometric pattern - possibly white/brown if I go with white on the pillows. Should I leave them the color they are and possibly get matching trays in a bold color (color that I go with on the pillows perhaps).

- The dresser where the cable box etc sits will be painted white.

- I will hang some interesting family photos on the wall to the left of the TV.

- Thinking of doing a solid overlay on the existing rug. Something that fits in the inner border. Possibly the bright tan so that it ties in with the shades.

- A C-Table for the edge of the sectional that faces the TV. DH has claimed that spot, and I want a spot for him to put the remote and his drinks or snacks when he takes them into the living room.

- TV cables will be bundled I wil find an interesting piece that it tall enough to hide them.

- Lamp on small side table on long end of the sectional.

I will also hang a mirror (as soon as I find the right one) on the back wall where the sofa table sits.

I think that about covers the major things that I want to do. I know that this is a lot, but I just wanted to get a bit of feedback. Pictures are below.

Thanks!

Geometric patterned white/brown fabric (possibly for covering ottomans and pillows)

C-Table

Comments (14)

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

I'd like to see a larger plain rug under your existing rug to stand up to the scale of the sectional instead of the other way around. Also, do you have something similar to the sofa table to put behind the short end of the "L"? If it will fit? I think having a narrow table there would break up the solid mass of the seating piece a bit. If that isn't possible, maybe a throw draped over the back to break it up?
    Do you thing the chest under the TV is a bit small for the size of the TV screen? If you don't have a larger piece to put there, maybe painting it a dark color instead of white will balance out the sectional and the TV a bit better. Painting it white might make it look more light and airy than you want it to.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I remember you trying to figure out this room and it looks like you've found the perfect solution! I like the pattern you've selected. I'd make pillows out of it and wait on the ottomans until you see if you like them as is. I think trays are a good idea to try to get some color and hide a bit of the brown.

I do think you need a larger (and maybe bolder) rug to stand up to the heft of the sectional. Try covering your tv stand with some dark fabric (just for the visual) and see if it doesn't help make the tv area more cohesive than it is now or will be with white. If you don't want more dark there, then maybe a darker bright color that you bring from your pillows?

You've got a great start to a room that you're going to love!

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I like the sectional, but the matching ottomans makes the space too crowded. I would use a glass coffee table which will open up the space.

I also like the idea of a larger rug, which will also make the area appear to be bigger.

Can you scoot the sectional back a few feet so you can get a longer table for the TV?

Love your TV tray, I have the same one next to my spot by the sofa. lol.

• movinginva
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the tips!

@olychick, you remember me - the one with the world's narrowest living room and a million posts on how to solve my seating problems. I am so glad that our last sofa (purchased from a certain well known department store) turned out to be a disaster and we were refunded our money, because we finally found something that works well. On several occasions I have come close to pulling my hair out with that space.

I like the idea of a simpler rug and I can definitely see how a slightly larger one would make the space look better.

I do not have to live with the piece that sits under the TV right now. I wanted to try and find something that fits more with the style of the couch and I have been searching CL. Nothing so far, but I will keep at it. I am sure eventually something will pop up, and I like the idea of painting/staining it a dark or even bold color. I can see how that would look better than white. I will do a mock-up first with both dark and bold to see which works best.

I am open to a glass coffee table. It has been suggested before, but I have been going back and forth on the whole storage issue - I can live without the storage if it comes to it. I also wonder what you think about 2 glass end tables as my coffee table. The seats on both ends of the sofa recline and it is easier to move one small piece out of the way to accomodate that versus moving a larger piece. I have tried one ottoman or even a tiny coffee table, and it looks way too small.

I am not sure that I can scoot it back, but I can try to talk DH into removing one of the seats. I get my way with a lot of things, but I do not believe he will be willing to do what it takes to accomplish that. We'll see though.

I don't know that there is space behind the sofa, but I can definitely put a small table or something on the rounded corner to break up all of that brown. Let me put some thought into it, I may also be able to come up with something, maybe a very narrow table, or bookshelf. Hmmmm . .

Thanks again!!

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I know you can't get a front on shot because of the narrowness of the room, but in the second shot the ottomans do not look as crowded, so it just may be perspective. It may not be crowded in real life. You already purchased them, right? so I think they are fine and serve your purpose. If you don't want to recline you can use them for footstools, table and computer desk :) If you can return them and are just trying them out, then others might have suggestions about what would work. Rattan cubes in a lighter color would look good and give you storage, some texture and break up all the dark leather.

I think a small glass coffee table might be too delicate to use with the leather, especially that much dark leather. But if you did decide to try glass, maybe a couple the size of your ottomans that are easy to move?

Like this maybe? with metal frames.
    These have open storage shelf, but don't know if that would work for you...I know I'd be driven crazy if they weren't kept neat.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

I concur with the advice about changing the rug - I would go with a white or cream rug with no pattern - possibly a texture.

The sectional looks very comfy!

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

My LR is 15 X 25. The TV is mounted on the wall, but have the PC and other component cables running through an opening made into a closet behind. Realization one day that the office closet was there.

I also have a shelf with one row of cubbies below, right under the TV. It frees up the floor area and takes a bit away from the large TV being a focal point. There are many options available for storage shelves to fit the TV components which would hide cables.

Your room is looking great.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

If possible, I would leave the coffee table area empty. I would look for very narrow end tables. I agree with the other that changing the rug will make a big difference.

The two small pictures above the sofa look like they are floating away. I suggest lowering them to eye height and placing them closer together.

You cannot lighten the sofa or make it less massive. The only way to reduce the contrast is to darken the wall color. I'm not suggesting that you repaint now, but if you tire of the blue at some point down the road, look for a color that contrasts less with brown.

• springroz
    11 years ago

I like it! Love the blue on the walls! I really like the fabric, too, and I second using it foe pillows, then possibly covering the ottomans. I would make the pillows larger than the ones you have, to go behind the solid blue ones, and perhaps the orange, which also looks cute!

Nancy

• mellyc123
    11 years ago

I like the ottomans and think they are really functional. Perhaps you could find a coffee table that is higher that you could push them under. Maybe even one that is painted the same color you use for your pillows.

• lyfia
    11 years ago

I think it look a bit crowded in the middle. What is across from the sofa? Could you turn the rug and keep the ottomans across from the sofa? Then they could be pulled forward for more seating too if needed.

I think I would go for something dark under the TV. Wouldn't stick out as much and I would try for something a bit more shallow than what you have. Then I like the idea of a glass table.

• movinginva
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was out of town last weekend, but I will be making my changes starting tomorrow. I will post follow up pictures when I am done. I am sure that I will also have questions.

@lyfia, across from the sofa is a walkway and wall. I am thinking of doing a large mirror there so that I can possibly make the space look wider. (??)

Before buying a new rug, I will pull that one from under the sectional and see if I can either turn it or have it steal a bit of the walkway space. If that does not look good, then I will go hunting for a new simpler rug.

@graywings, lol, I know, I know . . . the wall behind the sofa is a few feet away from it. I am still working on it. I have to add some picture frames. I just haven't gotten around to it as yet. I actually picked up some last weekend.

Any thoughts on what I should put on the wall space to the left of the TV? I thought a picture or mirror, but the more I think about it, the more I think that it will compete with the TV. I was also thinking of doing a very narrow painting/row of pictures across the whole TV wall above the TV, since there is a few feet of wall space there. See pic below.

Thank you all!

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I wouldn't put anything on the wall by the tv, but would add a table lamp of reasonable size in that corner which will help fill that space and give you reading/ambient light when you need it.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

I wouldn't put anything on the TV wall. I think a little bit of blank space, especially with that pretty wall color, is a nice break in that room. But Olychick's suggestion of a lamp is perfect!

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County