Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bekure

Coffee Table Topper

BeKure
10 years ago

Can anyone recommend a website where I can find a variety of decorations suited for topping off a coffee table? Here is a pick of my living room.

Comments (26)

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Not sure what you have in mind, but if that were my room, I'd always have fresh flowers on the coffee table. You have lots of black/white (great photos btw) and hard edges with no color or softness- at least from this view.

Depending on your budget and locale, you can pick up great flowers from Trader Joe's or maybe your supermarket for not too much $$ these days. I sometimes buy all one color alstroemeria bunches for $3.99, add some greens from the outside and they will stay fresh for 2 to 3 weeks, if you use a freshness powder and change the water once in a while. You can also get a large, colorful fresh orchid for 12-20 that will last for a long, long time.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Below is a site that will give you many options of how to stage a coffee table. Once you decide what appeals to you, you only need go as far as places like Home Goods or any online site that sells decorative items. Wayfair.com is a good one. I know you haven't asked but, as nice as your room looks, I think it needs some softening so look for objects with curved shapes and may include a couple of off white fluffy furry type pillows for softness and to take the edge of all the squares in the room. Good luck.

• susie53_gw
    10 years ago

I would have used colored print above the couch and lowered them a little. Then I would pick some color from the prints. You need color. Maybe some colorful pillows or a nice throw of a color.

• chickadee2_gw
    10 years ago

Check out the daily sales at onekingslane.com and jossandmain.com. Ballardsdesigns.com has a lot of small objects. If you google for "art glass," you'll find lots of sources for small colorful bowls and such.

• BeKure
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will definitely consider softening the square theme a bit more but I did want to keep the black and white color scheme though. To be honest I get a lot of compliments from people regarding the layout. I was thinking about hanging 2 wall candles of each side of the living room window and as long as the candles aren't square in shape then that should help to round things off a bit.

• BeKure
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another angle

• erinsean
    10 years ago

I think a pretty glass bowl (bigger one) either clear or black, filled with stones would look good on your coffee table. I know you didn't ask, but could your desk go in front of the window....it looks a little crowded there. I DO like your black and white color scheme.

• BeKure
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually that's the best place for the desk to be honest. If I placed it in front of the window then the window will just become difficult to access.
    Thank you for your compliment regarding my color scheme by the way.
    I also like the idea of possibly placing a bowl filled with stones as well.

This post was edited by BeKure on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 18:18

• cheryleb
    10 years ago

Do you think a plant would interfere with the color scheme? I was thinking something like bamboo in a very modern black or white vase.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I think a couple of interesting larger books and a pottery bowl with items you need in it would look great!

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Agree the pics over the couch should be lowered some. And like the idea of a big glass bowl with stones in it. There is a need for texture and this would be a good start. Also a rug to pull the area together.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Places to go for accessories:

Pier 1
    Home Goods
    Kirklands
    TJ Maxx/Marshall's
    Cost Plus World Market

Scale will be important, so play with stuff you have, regardless of what it is, just to get a sense of what shapes and sizes would be good. Then you'll know more of what to look for in the stores.

Also I appreciate the color and modern look you are going for, but to keep it from feeling too cold, you'll need to add some texture...think about adding pillows and a throw to the sofa.

• beaches1980
    10 years ago

What about a lantern with candles? It would soften the room, and keep to your black & white look.

Also thought pillows like this would look great on your sofa.

• BeKure
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow you guys are great. Thanks for all the ideas. I do like the idea of the lantern candle though I'm not a big fan if that particular style of lantern. The pillows aren't bad either. If the pillows were more square maybe? Where did you find the lantern and pillow anyhow? Thanks again.
    I really like the style of candles in this picture I just posted. The ones near the window.

This post was edited by BeKure on Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 14:53

• Faux68
    10 years ago

I love the room you posted from Houzz. It is Michael Abrams and I love all of his work. I want that statue but it is too pricy for me.

Your lamps are really nice. I like the direction you are going. Did you notice the small hints of color in your inspiration picture? There is a little green from the plant. A little orange. Some creamy white. You already have some white. A touch of earth tones like Michael Abrams has might be nice--not too much and very very subtle. The lighting you are adding will be great. I wonder how different your room would look with the lamps turned on. That is something that adds a lot in your inspiration picture.

• lala girl
    10 years ago

I think something with a good texture would be great on the glass. If it were me, I would not add not more smooth surfaced items. I have one of these Neo bowls on my coffee table and I really like it. Sleek and modern but chunky too, they are handwoven in Italy but are made from neoprene rubber for a more modern take. Just another option - I think the dark grey would look fabulous.

Here's my coffee table with it (I know this is a different look than what you are going for)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Here is a pic of your LR now and then with the pics lowered. They should read as part of your seating arrangement.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I like the sleek, clean look of the coffee table with nothing on it.

• BeKure
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the photo shopped picture. I appreciate you going through the trouble. It does look better with the pictures lowered. I was concerned about how it was going to make the picture on the adjacent wall look.
    What do you think? Will lowering the 3 pictures above the couch clash with the picture that is above the love seat?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

That one's mounted too high also. At least take it down to the top of the switch.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

The guideline for hanging art is that it should either relate to the pieces around it or the middle is at a comfortable height for the average person to look straight at it.

If the print on the wall with the outlet can't be viewed at a comfortable level, then it should be moved and an option that fits better can replace it.

• BeKure
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for that. Regarding the picture on the left, I placed it higher because I didn't want it too close to the light switch. I didn't think it would good if I did so. I will try lowering the pictures and see how it looks overall though. Thanks for all the advice.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I would add some plants and maybe some curtains and whatever else you find functional (tray, books, candles, pillows). I wouldn't get something just for accessorizing.

• BeKure
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wouldn't mind adding a plant, I just have no idea where I would put it.
    Curtains I don't really care for that's why I have blinds up but thank you for the recommendation.

This post was edited by BeKure on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 17:31

• BeKure
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions. This is what I ended up with. I am still not completely done but this is a start. I have some white color decortative balls coming to fill the bowl with as well as a 12X20 pillow.
    Thanks again

• BeKure
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions. This is what I ended up with. I am still not completely done but this is a start. I have some white color decortative balls coming to fill the bowl with as well as a 12X20 pillow.
    Thanks again

{{!gwi}}