Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_smallhome

New Rug Arrived!

organic_smallhome
15 years ago

I love it.

Next on the agenda: What color for the walls?

Turns out that Flexsteel does not make slipcovers for this style. Further, store-bought ones will not work, as the sofa arms are too small. Thus, I must make do with new pillows. Old rug will, of course, be removed. Please ignore mess. :)

Comments (70)

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Allison: Do you happen to have a pic handy? Don't go to the trouble if you don't. I looked it up on the F&B site and I really, really like it. Is it light on the wall?

kswl: Thank you!

Okay--whew--after much moving of furniture, dh's trip to Home Depot to pick up some shop scissors (so I could cut down the heavy rug pad--and he was sweet enough to volunteer, I didn't even have to ask), etc., here it is. And wow: here's a room screaming for color, don't you think? Not to mention new window treatments and a bit more wall art. *sigh*

View from the hallway (you can see a little bit of the new rug--I think it blends well with the hallway rug):

Two other views:

• funkyart
    15 years ago

I absolutely love it!! It looks like it was made for your room.

I think a light smokey green would be great. A subtle gold would be gorgeous too.

This is the dog pound wall, right? It is going to be perfect too!

You have really made HUGE strides forward in the last month. The rugs, chairs and pillows have completely transformed your rooms.

Love the little puppy faces (and butts) in the pictures from earlier today.

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much, funkyart! I *just* said to my husband that maybe a soft light gold would be nice, and he said he didn't think cherry furniture worked well with gold walls. ???

Yes, that's the dog pound wall. I need to wait for a couple of months until I can afford to have a couple of things framed. I was going to make the wall over the LR sofa the dog pound wall, but dh put his foot down--lol.

• meg711
    15 years ago

Just wanted to chime in and tell you that the rug is wonderful. I have no idea what color for the walls but it sounds like you're getting great advice.

What kind of puppy did you get?

• funkyart
    15 years ago

I always saw the dog pound wall above the sofa in your lr too.. until I saw this room with the rug. It's perfect here.

Framing *is* so expensive-- I keep thinking I need to learn how to do it myself. My mother has picked up some beautiful frames at goodwill and salvation army. Me? I never had any luck at the very same stores-- but I don't have the time or patience to check them weekly.

I really like golds with cherry-- but I tend towards the golds that lean towards brown.

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HI meg: The advice on this forum is invaluable. I've been on it constantly for the past couple of weeks. I need to pull back a little--but it seems like every time I turn around, I'm facing another decor dilemma!

Re the pup: Her name is Leah. She's actually 5 years old. She was a puppymill rescue, and she has really come out of her shell--it's like night and day.

When we first got her (about 3 months ago):

And now:

• allison0704
    15 years ago

OSH, I sent you an email w/pictures through GW. Let me know if you don't get and I will send to your email address (didn't see it until afterwards).

Leah is so cute. I'm trying to decide whether or not to add to our family.

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Allison: Thank you. I've sent you a reply.

We weren't planning on getting another one, but one thing led to another and--well, you know. :)

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Ahhh, she looks so beautiful!

• yayagal
    15 years ago

Organic, I saw these pillow covers on Ebay and thought of your rug and how well they'd look together. Check them out. It's item number 180274682504

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Organic, I love your new rug! Thanks for sharing.

• jynxed23
    15 years ago

BM Bone White might be a match to the cream in the rug. I like your new rug and your fluffy accents!

• amysrq
    15 years ago

When I saw that fluffy photo, I didn't think it could possibly be an "After" shot! (I was wondering if you had another new puppy....omg...) She looks great!

As to the dark room, dark color concept... Our study was easily the darkest room in the house most of the year. It was also the smallest room. Painting a small dark room with a medium color (which Ashen Green is) can really give it some oomph. When the edges soften and disappear you don't see where the walls stop and the resulting illusion is one of more space.

Now, that is all based on the average human perception. If you personally have an aversion to non-white colors, then it might still not work for you. But if it is a fear-based, rule-based thought about dark colors, small rooms, etc., then just chuck that right out the window.

Here's a picture of the Ashen Green. It is not a dark color actually, but "reads" like a dark, rich library green. The photo is terrible, big mess due to renovations. But, you can see an edge of the rug and get a feel for the color.

What I like about AG is that it is a muted green, but had no yellow in it in my room, even with the bamboo floors. I don't care for the yellow-based greens but I didn't want it to scream blue either. It is a clean green.

• straitlover
    15 years ago

Love the rug! I need that sofa, it's the perfect size for my tiny LR! Don't know how much money you were wanting to spend on a slipcover, but I found this website when looking for my own T-cushion slipcover. They make custom sizes. I may have gotten the website from here, I can't remember - LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Todoes slipcovers

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lynn and jynxed: Thank you!

yayagal: Good choice--I had those bookmarked, as well! But dh nixed them--wants softer pillows.

In fact, dh is making this even more difficult: no yellow on the walls, and nothing too dark. He does like the idea of a blue-grey or blue-green--just lighter than EK Ashen Green or F&B French Grey, both of which *I* like very much. Don't know what to do now.

squirrel: You once photoshopped my study with different wall colors, but I can't find the thread. Any idea how to locate it? I typed "study" in the Search function, but it didn't come up. It might help me visualize anew.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

That is ancient! Long since deleted from gw. I save all the pics and working files.

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No wonder I couldn't find it. Would you mind reposting them, if you get a chance?

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

There must be 100 pics by some crazy squirrel. What colors did you want to see?

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

squirrel: Thank you! Blues, greens, neutrals???

• parma42
    15 years ago

Why don't you take a look at BM Paris Rain? You might have a compromise with DH there.

OT, I'll start a new post when I'm closer to deciding but you shop on Ebay so much I thought I'd get your opinion on this rug place.

He's been in business for a long time, accepts returns and is very quick with responses to my emails. I like some of his old and new rugs.

What do you think?

Drat! I've tried three times to get this link to work. Never had any problem before.

Anyway, it's 1800getarug on Ebay and the pic I was trying to show was of an older 7x10 hand spun/hand knotted wool Turkoman. It's rust colored and the Ebay # is 270162722970.

Here is a link that might be useful: Russian Rug

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

parma: The link isn't working for me. I know of this vendor, though I've never bought from him. Can you try the link again?

• parma42
    15 years ago

I just shot you a PM with a different link.

Let me know if you got it.

Thanks! :)

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Just getting it set up, I have to run out for a while, but here's a peek at a cozy blue-gray and some green. Maybe too dark and muddy for you.

#2 bluer:

#3 Going green:

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Something fresher, touch of blue:

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow. Thank you squirrel. I love All of them! Especially #3. Anybody want to weigh in? It's amazing what color can do.

• parma42
    15 years ago

There are pics of BM Paris Rain at the end of this post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paris Rain

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Trying to get more light in the room with the same photo. Is the sofa color at all correct? Have to hunt down some other photos of your study. The one above seems washed out???

I think a blue would be so pretty with your rug and furniture.

#5 Blue

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I really do have to run! : )

#6 lighter

#7 lighter gray-green
    {{!gwi}}

• funkyart
    15 years ago

I really like the blues with more gray in them and the green-- it's cozy. I like Paris Rain in theory-- but it isn't a color I'd be jumping to use in New England. I know blue and green are cool colors but there is a cozyiness to them. Paris Rain is a little too cool for long winters, I think.

At the risk of sounding too earthy crunchy/new age/freakish, I am very visual and "sensitive". I can look at a room and sense either calm or tension. Can you? Is this normal? Does everyone? Anyhow, the green feels calming, warm and cocoonish to me-- but what matters is how it feels to you and DH.

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

squirrel: You're a mensch! I have to tell you, I'm really going for the grey-green you're posting here. Although I'm liking #2, too. I'm going to show dh what you've done--he may prefer the grey-blue. The sofa color is almost spot-on--it's a bit darker irl, but not enough to matter, I don't think, in terms of visualizing how it will look with the color. Are these colors from BM, or are they your own vision?

parma: I just responded to your email. :)

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Just H'Aint Paint squirrel-y mixes : )

Haven't looked at Paris Rain yet -- 'cause I'm cratin' Squirrel up and pushin' myself out the door!!

FunkyArt -- people respond to color and a room's atmosphere whether they're actually aware or able to articulate it or not. Green is known for its soothing quality, just as stepping outdoors to simply see some plantlife is stress-relieving.

• funkyart
    15 years ago

I have a gray green through much of my house-- (LR, kitchen, pr, 2 bedrooms, hall) it doesn't photograph well but gosh, I just love it! It is so easy to work with too.

It matters most how it works in your space and for you but here are some pictures of it in various lighting in my house (all but the first were taken when previous owner was moving out)

Hope it helps you to see how it might work in your lighting.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I like #7 so far the best. I believe there is a thread over in the gallery with lots of pics of different greens. You may want to check it out when narrowing down to an actual color. Unless, squirrel is going into the paint business and can whip you up a batch of her squirrly mix!!! :)

• jenny_from_the_block
    15 years ago

Love the new rug in there. I don't even mind the white paint you currently have!

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

funkyart: Thank you for taking the time to post those pics. Looks great!

And thanks to you, squirrel, for all the photoshopping you did.

And thanks to everybody else for weighing in on the "big decision."

I hope you guys won't be mad, but I've decided to either go with BM Pale Oak (same color as in LR), BM Natural Cream or Natural Linen. I went out and bought six different sample shades of green and blue today, painted them all on sample boards (two coats), but didn't really care for any of them. Although they were all nice colors, green in this room just feels too institutional to me. And dh nixed any kind of blue at all. It's weird how affecting color is. Apparently, I can only stand color in accessories/rugs, and not on walls (except for yellow, of course). When I see them on other people's walls--even in this very thread-- I think they look fabulous. But I just have to go with neutral--maybe because it feels calming--who knows?

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Surprise, surprise!

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know. :( It's just that none of the colors work and I'm tapped-out on looking for just the right color. I can't even think about it any more. And if the Natural Linen and Natural Cream don't work, I'll just do the Pale Oak. Light colors are better in this old house, anyway: since none of the trim is squared with the walls, it's difficult to paint without the wall color looking "wobbly" where it meets the trim.

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

P.S. If I could find a light, true grey-green--like in the #3 or #7 you photoshopped--I'd like that, I'm sure. But I can't find it. And I'm not a good shopper. I'm a very task-oriented person, generally speaking, but hate shopping with a passion, especially for clothes (because I can't think of anything more boring to do than shop for clothes) and paint (because after about 15 minutes, I just want to leave). What I want is for somebody to say, "Here's the perfect color. Now go paint."

• funkyart
    15 years ago

Yeah, I get that too. So many choices and they all start looking the same. I LIKE neutrals and the right cream is just divine.

Go with what makes *you* comfy and what works for your house.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

If you are not sick of trying, you may want to consider RH Sycamore Green. I have it in my master bedroom, office, and guest bath. I'd almost call it a neutral green (if such a thing exists). I've paired it with greens and sages in my bedroom. What gives it a calming (to me) look is that it is all in various hues of the same spectrum.

href="http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h272/valinsv/Master/?action=view¤t=bedwithcoverlet.jpg"; target="_blank">

If you are used to looking a pale, neutral walls then putting color on the walls can be a shock at first--esp. when there is not a lot up on the walls and all you see is the expanse of color. I've come to find that I like it, though in general tend to be more timid with color.

Here is a link that might be useful: RH Sycamore Green

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

organic...love - your new rug. The colors are just wonderful. So many choice to go with. I like the blues with it. I noticed how it really pulled that color out of your rug too. The fourth color reminded me of Wyeth Blue, which has a touch of green to it. Can't wait to see your final choices! By the way, love your little Leah...she's a lucky puppy to be rescued by you.

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

val: Thank you. The color looks lovely in your room, and it really showcases your furniture. Still not sure about green for my room. I did notice that the RH site had a "linen," and I think that might be a real possibility. Thank you for the link. :)

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

slinkey: Thank you. Dh said "no blues, please." So I'm on a search for neutral. :) On another note, we've fallen completely in love with Leah. She's so cute: she just copies whatever the other dogs are doing--especially our bichon, just follows her around like crazy.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I second the suggestion of Sycamore Green. (making one last shot at this!) It is very similar to one of my all times Martha faves - Winter Surf.

OSH, if I weren't up to my eyeballs in house troubles, I'd be out there this afternoon. Some day, I promise, I will come and help you. :-)

• teeda_2006
    15 years ago

Ooh, I love that rug! I like paint #7 with it--grey/green.

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

amy and val: You are both so nice, thank you. I will try to make it out to RH this weekend and get a sample of the Sycamore and the Linen.

Thank you, Teeda. I can't believe that I actually really love it, too. :)

• parma42
    15 years ago

OS, the one thing about having a nice, colorful rug like you bought is that you really don't "need" color if color doesn't suit you.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Organic, I'm going to say something because you are a beautiful person in all my most important categories: you value dogs.

That sums up my list of most important qualities in life which often translates into many minute personality traits.
    So, please do not take this as a personal criticism at all
    as I think you're great!

The cords under the desk distract terribly from your beautiful rug. Could you bundle or tie them together and tape them to the desk leg so they are almost invisible?

• funkyart
    15 years ago

I agree with Parma-- if color makes you uncomfortable on the walls, the rug surely brings in plenty-- as do your pillows and your dog paintings will eventually. I really think you should do what makes *you* walk in and say "ahhhhhh".

A neutral with a presense would be great. I have never seen it, but Linen just sounds so lovely and fresh.

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bumblebeez: You are adorable. :) Yes, those cords are making me crazy!!! In fact, I asked dh yesterday for opinions on what we should do with them! Your suggestions are excellent--thank you. :)