Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanwrites_gw

narrowing down the paint colors, again

susanwrites
13 years ago

Okay, I am still trying to pick my paint colors. (Haven't picked fabric yet for the dining chairs. Will wait for painting.) The new moldings are up and almost all the construction/electrical/sheet rock holes/patching is done.

Since this is in an open plan I am really trying to make things flow. The new banister will be stained at the top rail and then everything else painted white. New floors are a long way off so that ugly white tile has to stay but I can get a bunch of throw rugs. Brass door knobs are going. For now the rug in the dining room and the fabric on the dining chairs will stay, at least until I get things painted and then I can decide what I want to do from there.

The kitchen cabinets are maple and they are staying and not being painted. The counter is staying too for a while due to lack of $

I was thinking I could do one color in the entry hall and up the stairs and upstairs hallway. Then, the trick is to find a color that works in the low light living room, into the dining room and then a coordinating color for the kitchen.

I brought home a bunch of BM sample sheets to narrow things down before I bought paint samples. I tried a bunch of the popular creams but they all read very yellow which didn't look right in the living room. So now I'm back to looking at greens.

Baby turtle in the living room/dining room and then flowering herb in the kitchen?

Or from the Historical Colors

Castleton Mist or Beacon Hill Damask in the living room and then Greenmount silk in the kitchen?

Olive branch or Camouflage in the living room / dining room and then I don't know what in the kitchen?

And then there's still the entry hall/stairway.

I'm up for all opinions. Thanks!

Comments (50)

• loribee
    13 years ago

Susan, I'm the last person that should be giving an opinion because my walls are all the same color, but...
    I would use that FABULOUS painting above your mantle as your jumping off piece. I do think that painting will pop with a lovely muted green paint. Hopefully folks will chime in and suggest the perfect green~

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Loribee.

After looking at the samples last night in the artificial light I am feeling even more confused. Hopefully a color person can pop on and help me understand. We have lots of colors we like in the natural light, even with the fact that there is hardly any natural light in the living room and more light in the dining room and tons in the kitchen, I've been able to find colors we like in both greens and cream.

But when we turned on the lights last night, I didn't like any of them any more. Hopefully some one can help me understand what I need to look for. (I'll be heading back to the paint store today for more samples.)

What happens when we turn on the lights is that the colors all look very harsh, if that's the right description.

What I THINK this means is that I need to look for a deeper, darker color so that some of the light is absorbed by the color? Is that right or just crazy? and does that mean more toward brown green as opposed to say yellow green?

I do want a warm feeling in the room. I used to feel hampered by that blasted white tile which is going to be around for a while (still do) but now I realize the light is what I need to understand how to work with.

The lights are all recessed and have CFLs in them, which I know throw things off too. I have to keep the CFLs in there. I made a deal with hubby. We got rid of the CFLs in the kitchen but kept them in the living room/dining. (They have really made a huge difference in the power bill.)

So I guess I need to know what to think about when looking for colors that work with CFLs.

Thanks.

Also - this is an aside as it isn't about paint but about lighting. Would any of you move the electrical box on the chandelier in the dining room shown in the pictures? We swagged it to get it over the table but if I were going to move it, now would be the time since we're going to paint the ceiling.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Hmmm...deeper and darker?
    Baby turtle. Such an interesting green-gray-tan!

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So I am in love with Greenmount silk from the BM Historical colors and I think that's what I'm going to go with in the kitchen. The ceiling will be white.

The living room/dining room area has a draw going on right now:

Camouflage or Flowering Herb or possibly Baby Turtle on the walls but then I would like to use the Greenmount silk on the ceiling. Does that sound right or funny because they aren't on the same strips at all?

What I love about the Greenmount silk is that it is a very warm feeling.

Camouflage or Flowering Herb aren't quite as warm/exciting but they look great with the art on the fireplace and they do tend to change in the room throughout the day.

Tried Dill Weed and some greener greens but they are too flat in there. So I guess my main question is, if I'm looking at Camouflage or Flowering Herb, does the Greenmount Silk look okay for a ceiling or should I consider something else? And are there are greens in that range I should consider?

Thanks!

• credomk
    13 years ago

A warning with Baby Turtle--we used it in our guest room and I love it in most lights. BUT I don't like it so much in artificial light--it turns to a rather pea green, at least with our lighting. In retrospect I wish we'd gone with a bit more of a gray-green color instead. Oh well.

Can't wait to see what you decide!

• dawnp
    13 years ago

I am no color expert, but I love camouflage - it is the color of my family room. I also have a powder room with white dove trim/mouldings painted in coamouflage - it looks great there too. It's such a soft, pleasant color.

My neighboring kitchen is painted BM Desert Tan which is similar to SW Blonde.

In your space, I might suggest painting the LR & DR camouflage and the kitchen the coordinating Olive Branch. Olive Branch is such a great color too.

You could use either of those colors on the stairwell.

We will look forward to seeing the finished product!

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, credomk and dawnp

There are a couple hours in the day when I just love Baby Turtle but the rest of the time it just doesn't work so it's been eliminated from the race. :)

I would have sworn I'd love Camouflage. A friend has it in his house and it's beautiful but it reads like ice in my place. Just so gray and not inviting. He also has Sherwood Green which I adore in his place but reads like a salad in mine.

I got a sample pot of Olive Branch but didn't paint it out. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow but it looks really dark.

I have done about 20 samples now and they are taped all over the place. The lighting, the maple cabinets that I can't afford to paint yet. the ugly white tile and the pink countertop, they all made it difficult but I think I've picked the first two colors.

Flowering Herb, which is one up from Baby Turtle, for the living room and dining room and probably that entry hall. It reads gray green, slightly cool but not cold. And oddly (or maybe not) it's the color I picked 3 years ago. Sigh. I just kept thinking I could go more green but I just can't.

Then in the kitchen it's Greenmount Silk, also Benjamin Moore. It reads more like a creamy yellow in my kitchen with just enough green that I think it goes well with the Flowering Herb. At least I hope so. I know people will say that I can just repaint but I don't have the funds to do that again right away, especially since I need to hire someone to do the painting.

I'm still confused about the ceilings. In the living room/dining room I was thinking about just doing the Flowering Herb but wonder if I should reduce the strength?

Kitchen ceiling will be a white of some kind.

Now to figure out the bathrooms and the stairwell and upstairs hall.

• dawnp
    13 years ago

Hi Susan,

I just pulled out my BM color deck and I think your choices look great! Flowering herb looks soft which I think you won't tire of quickly. The Greenmount Silk is pretty too and on the sample, it looks like the two colors will look nice together.

You could use Light Breeze or Limestone on the ceiling in the LR/DR. I think you should go lighter on the ceiling than the walls.

If it were me, I would work with the Flowering Herb color card and choose a color for the stairwell so it will all blend nicely. You could do something else (neutral) upstairs in the hallway.

It's going to look beautiful! Please come back and post pictures when you're done!

Dawn

• dawnp
    13 years ago

Flowering Herb

Greenmount Silk{{!gwi}}

• User
    13 years ago

Here's a few shots of Olive Branch. It is dark but I really like it. I get tons of compliments on this paint color and I think it looks nicer IRL.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

If you search for Olive Branch or Monablair you should find more pics. Mona painted quite a few rooms in her house this color and it looks stunning.

I sampled Camouflage and it looked terrible in my house too. I think you're on the right track!

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Dawn.

I do love both those colors a lot! And good point on the ceilings and stairwell, thank you. I'm actually thinking of just letting Flowering Herb go from the entry to the living room/dining room and up the stairs. Then I can do something different in the upstairs bathroom and the bedroom.

I am still on the fence with Greenmount Silk in the kitchen. I adore it in my nook and high on the walls but under the cabinets against the hideous pinkish counter (that I am still stuck with for a while) it looks pretty blah...more green than the cream it is elsewhere, which isn't a bad thing (we love green) but I'm not sure that it's right with maple cabinets and pink counter. But I'm trying to tell myself that worst case scenario might be that I just paint the under the cabinet part white if I really dislike the Greenmount silk there when it's done. What do you think?

• User
    13 years ago

I like the photo of the Greenmount Silk but can't picture how it would look with your cabinets. Is there a shot of your nook above? Could you take some shots of the samples you have in the rooms? Maybe going more green would work better. I love how blue looks (your plates) against green.

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sheesharee - oh, I missed this on olive branch. okay, I will definitely paint up that sample.

The Greenmount Silk doesn't look green at all where the nook is - it looks like the perfect creamy yellow for my blue and white. I will take some shots of the samples later this afternoon. I really, really hate this paint picking stuff. :)

And I SO appreciate the help.

• dawnp
    13 years ago

Hi Susan,

How long do you think it will be until you will be able to change the countertops? Also, are they laminate? If so, an idea might be to paint them. Even if it is just a temporary fix. It's just an idea since that pink seems to be your biggest problem.

If you can live with the room painted GS but just don't like it under the cabinets, you could put up some kind of backsplash. I know you wouldn't want to do anything expensive since you will be changing the countertops but I'm sure there's an inexpensive solution of some kind. It all depends on how long you'll have the countertops. I'm not sure about just leaving that section white. A backsplash would make it look more planned/finished.

Here is a link that might be useful: Painting Laminate

• dawnp
    13 years ago

Here's another link.

You can google Painting laminate countertops and get some ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Painting Laminate

• trinityklm
    13 years ago

You mentioned you wanted a warm feel, so I wanted to share my experience with BM Flowering Herb. I wanted the same, and something soft and inviting. I have north, south, and east light in an open concept floor plan, so to be fair, the color was going to be challenged. Anyway, I'm currently painting over it after living with it for a year. I found it to be drab in artificial light, pea green in the winter (sunlight bouncing off of snow is very brightening apparently), and not terribly inviting any time of year. I tried to like it, but I just didn't find it "warm" at all. I'm now painting it over with BM Jicama, which is an undertone of my natural maple and hickory woodwork and cabinetry. Very, very warm. Not dramatic, but I don't mind at all. :-)

Good luck!

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, here are some samples of the BM Greymount Silk in different places in the kitchen. Then I went with what someone said and tried a deeper green, this was a Georgian Green, and I think I like that.

Dawn, the counter is yes, I think, Corian but I can't imagine hubby agreeing to painting the counter. I am going to start pricing counters now just to see what we are dealing with. There's a long stretch of it. I'm pretty sure it will be black to go with the black appliances (stove and dishwasher will be replaced when we do the counter.) A backsplash now is a definite possibility too.

Down the road, the cabinets will be, I hope, painted white. But I think the darker green might just work in this spot. Would love people's thoughts.

trinityklm - thanks for sharing your experience with Flowering Herb. I am just at my not sure what to do next step with the colors. Too green doesn't work going from little light to lots of light. Creams and golds don't work. I'm not a fan or beige or brown. But I am preparing myself that I might have to repaint some rooms down the road, just hopefully not all of them. :)

I'm going to go get a few more samples and paint up Olive Branch and then see what I've got. For now, here are the samples so far.

BM Flowering Herb upper left
    BM Rosemary Sprig small one on right
    BM Grasshopper on bottom

Greymount Silk

Greymount Silk on left
    Georgian Green on right

Greymount Silk

Greymount Silk

Greymount Silk

• traceee
    13 years ago

I was SHOCKED to see so much "peach" and "pink" in my new natural maple cabinets. My home is small so I chose the lighter color cabs and they do really suit the old bungalow home.

I used Benjamin Moore Coastal Fog, which is on the same idea as Camoflauge. My kitchen has lots of natural light and the paint shows many different colors - grey, tan, during the day and olive at night with lights on in kitchen.

Coastal Fog is an olive-ish neutral paint and I think the muted green paint and granite both worked well to help me tone down the dreaded "peach" in the cabinets. I am going to run the color through the dining room because I think it will look nice with the Sage in the connecting living room.

Your home is beautiful and I love the open feel, I know how crazy all the choices can be!!!

href="http://s781.photobucket.com/albums/yy95/tracy02360/kitchen%20reno/?action=view¤t=kitchen049.jpg"; target="_blank">

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

I'm not feeling the Greymount Silk with your cabinets at all. If I had to choose between the two, the Georgian Green would be a better choice IMO. If you're still exploring greens... sorry I don't have my paint deck handy, but look at the greens on the 'strip' with Cheyenne Green. My kitchen/family room is Cheyenne Green and I really like it. It may be darker than you want, but look at the lighter colors on the same strip.

I also like Grecian Green and Tree Moss.

I am also a member of the Camouflage fan club. As tracee said, Coastal Fog is a similar color, as is Gray Mirage. My dining room used to be Gray Mirage, but after a few years I wanted more color.

One thing I don't think anyone has pointed out yet. Are your counters pink? They look pink on my monitor, and your cabinets seem to have a pinkish tone in some of the pics. If you use green on the walls, it will accentuate those pink tones. If you don't want that effect, then I'd suggest going with something more neutral in the kitchen, and use your greens in the other rooms.

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

traceee - Thanks for the kind words about my home. And I'm with you on being surprised at all the peach and pink in these cabinets. We have them in one of the bathrooms too, and even without pink counters in there they throw a lot of pink.

sueb20 - oh yes, the counters are a dreaded pink. Ugh. and the maple cabinets throw pink too.

I'll take pics of Camouflage and some other greens in there. I would rather have some color in that room with the hope that I will be able to replace the counter sooner, rather than later.

The camouflage and grays just feel so blah to me in that room with so much light but I'll go give them another shot.

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

okay - here are all my samples against the maple cabinets and the pink counter. Help please?

Flowering Herb

Beacon Hill Damask

Olive Branch

Georgian Green

Camouflage

Light Breeze

Dill Weed

Grassland

Castleton Mist

Fernwood Green

Dry Sage

Olive Twist

Brookside Moss

Sherwood Green

Baby Turtle

Mellowed Ivory

Dried Parsley

• tfm1134
    13 years ago

I like Flowering Herbs the best

• bird_lover6
    13 years ago

Flowering herbs, dry sage, or dried parsley. Definitely one of those three for me.

Or maybe I'm just hungry?

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bird_lover6 - I feel like I ought to give you a prize! You picked two of our top three. :)

Here's what I ran into with the darn open plan, what looks best in the kitchen doesn't look so great when it runs into the corners to change colors for the dining area of I think I'm going to pick one color for all of it.

We narrowed it down to Flowering herbs, Dried parsley or Fernwood Green. We really liked the Dried parsley a lot in the kitchen and in the dining area but it looks not so great behind the picture in the living room. I tried to merge the Dried Parsley in the kitchen with either Flowering Herb or Fernwood Green on the other walls but where they meet in the corner it just looks like we did a bad job trying to match. So one color it is.

I love Flowering Herb with the painting and in the living room/dining room area but I don't think it has enough color in the kitchen.

I love Dried Parsley in the kitchen and dining but I think it looks bad behind the painting in the living room.

I think Fernwood Green looks the best most of the time in all areas but of course I'm so afraid of making a mistake. I stink at trying to visualize how it is going to look when all the walls are the color of the little sample board.

Below are pictures of our top three in each of the area. As of this moment, I'm going to go with Fernwood Green everywhere. This close to a commitment and I'm getting scared. :)

Dried Parsley on the left, then Fernwood Green then Flowering Herb

Left is Fernwood Green, Right is Dried Parsley

Fernwood Green , Dried Parsley
    Flowering Herb on the bottom

Flowering Herb on the top
    Dried Parsley bottom left then Fernwood Green

Fernwood Green, Flowering Herb
    Dried Parsley on the bottom

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My biggest fear on Fernwood (or any green) is that the house ends up looking like a giant bowl of mint chip ice cream.

• traceee
    13 years ago

I am curious.....have you made a decision yet? I'm sorry, but I kinda chuckled scrolling through all those pictures of the different colors on the boards in the kitchen!!

I know it is very hard, and can make you crazy! I was consumed............

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

traceee - thanks for laughing with me. I so need to vent about the colors and this whole process but none of my friends understands why I am so bugged by it not being right. Sigh.

No, I haven't decided yet on the kitchen. I'm 90% sure that the living room and dining room will be Flowering Herbs. The bedroom will be Georgian Green and the upstairs bath will be Georgian Green. Downstairs bath (another thread) will be Baby Turtle.

So what is left to pick is the entry hall/stairwell/upstairs hall and the blasted kitchen. I am going back to BM today for some more yellows to try. It's what I wanted first of all, a color that is almost white but with a touch of creamy yellow. I'm guessing I come home with 5 more cans because of course I've exhausted all the cheap sample pots so far.

• daisychain01
    13 years ago

If you're afraid of it looking minty, try richmond grey (I know, I know, one more sample) - but I really think it has the green tones of the other 3, but a little less "green". I think the grey in it will pick up the grey in your cabs.

• dawnp
    13 years ago

Hi Susan,

Sorry to see you struggling. Would you consider just waiting on the kitchen color until you're able to change the countertops? I'll bet that once you change the countertops you will want a different paint color anyway.

I also wanted to suggest a light yellowy white- BM Ivory Tusk. Rich Cream is the next darker shade on that card which is nice too.

Hang in there!

Dawn

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

daisychain01 - thanks for the gray suggestion. I just got home from grabbing more samples and if none of these work out, I'll give the gray a try.

dawb - thanks for the sympathy! I know that logic might say to wait but we've had all sorts of electricial work done which has cut into the walls and now been mudded back up again and it could be years before we do the counter. I think Rich Cream is one of the samples I just brought home. I painted up two boards and as soon I find my energy I'll paint up the others so they can dry overnight.

I really appreciate the input from everyone.

• trinityklm
    13 years ago

I'm still not too sure green is the way to go, but I would highly suggest painting a wall or two and then stopping and living with it for awhile before continuing. Also, I don't know if your cabinets are new or not, but maple changes color over time and goes toward gold, but still with that pinkish cast in spots. It's a gorgeous wood, but just be prepared that a few years from now it will look different and the paint you're agonizing over may not look as good as it did in the beginning. Hence going with a more neutral/chameleon type color. Perhaps walls adjacent to the counter tops could be a soft warm cream and the other walls could be a shade of green.

Hang in there, Susan! I know exactly the mental craziness you're experiencing. It really helps to keep telling yourself, "It's just paint."

• bird_lover6
    13 years ago

Susan, after agonizing over paint for months, might I suggest that you move the painting in the living room if that's the only drawback to choosing a particular paint color? And just thought I'd mention that I have a custom green color in my kitchen that is similar to these greens, and my blueware looks great on it. :)

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

trinityklm - I believe I have pretty much let go of the idea of green in the kitchen for now, or rather right after I painted a big swatch of Fernwood Green on the wall. Loved the color, just not there.

The cabinets are far from new - probably about 15 years old, maybe older, but they are in great shape.

I swear one thing that helps is being able to come here and sound off! :)

bird_lover6 - I think the painting looks great with Flowering Herbs which is what I have decided to use for the living room/dining room and entry. The bathroom off the dining area will be baby turtle. I'm not sure yet if I will continue the Flowering Herb up the stairs and to the upstairs hallway or not. Bathroom at the top of the stairs and our bedroom will be Georgian Green. (I think) haha

The kitchen remains the hard one but I brought home a bunch of creams today and they are looking good. Weston Flax and Ambiance and Simply Irresistible look nice as they are drying. :) I have a couple more to paint out and then I can take some pics in the morning. I'm liking the idea of the cream in there.

Oh, and bird_lover6, I agree the blue and white looks great on green too!

As always, thanks for listening and offering suggestions.

• User
    13 years ago

Hugs to you Susan! I know people say it's only paint but it still costs money to repaint so I know how you're feeling and have been there!

Out of all the greens you have I like the flowering herb the best. But I think I'd head in another color direction for the kitchen which is sounds like you are. I would be a little concerned about the mint thing/adding more pink to the cabinets. Once it's on all of the walls that might intensify. Whatever color you end up going with for the LR,DR, entry, I think I'd also continue that up the stairs. I also suggest maybe trying BM Rich Cream or maybe even BM Palace White for the kitchen. The creamy color will look nice with the blue you have in there also.

Looking forward to seeing your samples in the a.m.

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay...looks like I'm in the right family of colors now with the creamy whites. Here goes another slew of pics. Sorry for a few that are blurry and one where the paper folded over and got stuck to itself. And I know, they are all close. But each one is different in different in different situations. Some of the brighter yellowy ones we really like under the cabinets but when I think of them on the whole wall in the nook, I worry it will be too bright.

There are two pictures in each color on opposite sides of the room.

Simply Irresistible
    Lighthouse
    Rich Creme
    Ambiance
    Windham Cream

From L-R
    Simply Irresistible
    Lighthouse
    Rich Creme
    Ambiance
    Windham Cream

Simply Irresistible

Ambiance

Rich Creme

Lighthouse

Windham Cream

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay....so hubby and I shuffled the 5 cards and went through the process again and came back to these two as our top 2 both times.

Simply Irresistible and Ambiance. And while I love the yellow in Ambiance I think the yellow doesn't look as well against the cabinets on what is the biggest wall of mostly color.

Simply Irresistible is almost a match at that angle for the cabinets. I do worry that there won't be enough contrast for interest but maybe that's okay in here. And I worry that it is too much darker than what is there now, will the room get dark?

There is one more color lighter on the Simply Irresistible strip called Woodmont Cream and I'm wondering if I should go to that instead?

Here they are side by side:

Simply Irresistible on left Ambiance on right

Simply Irresistible on left Ambiance on right

Simply Irresistible on top Ambiance on bottom

• traceee
    13 years ago

Oh I don't know susan, I think I am a little confused. Are you bringing the cream into the dining room? I have been following your story for so long now, I even came right in from work today, turned on the computer, to see if you had posted cream samples!!!! HOW funny is that? I don't know how I got lost!!!

Take a look back at sheesharee's Olive Branch color and notice how gorgeous her wood furniture and hutches look against the paint. See the paint coming through the back of her dining chairs? YOU have gorgeous wood furniture like that also in many rooms of your home. GO for it in those rooms - the dried parsley, or the georgian green that you LOVE!!!

You are not going to be 100% satisfied with that kitchen no matter what the paint color is. Maybe you should just skip it for now, paint the dining room, and other areas in your home, and come back to the kitchen down the road - even a few weeks down the road. Maybe after you see the rest of the home painted and "perfect" you will know, it will all click!!!

Is that last picture with the hutch and picture of the dog the dining room or eat in breakfast area in the kitchen? Maybe that is why I am confused!!!

Could you be compromising the other rooms, and the beauty of your furniture, trying to include a quick fix for the kitchen that you are not going to be satisfied with?

I am sure you want your new home to be "perfect" and it will in time--it's a process. I thought decorating was supposed to be FUN?

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oh traceee, you can't know how you made my day! Really. And yes, I thought all this was supposed to be fun too! :)

I thought about waiting on everything but truly, with this darn open floorplan, I'd rather have all the headaches out of the way at once. Plus since I work at home, all these disruptions are making it tough to work.

The cream is ONLY for the kitchen area and nook. The picture with the dog is in the kitchen. We have a lovely antique table in the kitchen nook and then another table not far away in the dining room. (And another table in the library - insane for just two people. haha)

If you go to the very top of this thread, the first five pictures, they will all be in, I think, the Flowering Herb which reads nicely green everywhere. In the last of those five pictures is a wall with a large tole tray on it. That wall will be the last Flowering Herb as it hits the fridge then on the other side of the fridge is that built-in china cabinet and the dog picture.

I really love the Flowering Herb in the living room and dining room and agree that the color is going to help the furniture pop. Plus we put up lovely doorway moldings that I want to have pop too.

I have moved Georgian Green all over upstairs and just love it in the bedroom (more lovely wood) and the upstairs bathroom.

I just had the third painter give me an estimate and I don't see how the prices can be so far apart - $2K difference in prices, sheesh! Of course one is an old guy doing it on his own and the other is a company with a crew. First guy will take a month and the other will be 5 days. But I don't see myself spending $4K for someone to paint. Hope the estimate coming in on Monday is better.

• User
    13 years ago

Hi Susan!

My eyes keep going to the Simply Irresistible. It looks like it has some green in it? However, on my monitor, the last shot of Simply Irresistible looks like it's the same color as your cabinets. Do you know how long it will be until you're able to paint the cabinets? White would look really sharp with the creamy wall color. I don't think the cream paint colors will be too dark once on the walls. It looks like you get lots of light. I don't think I'd try the lightest one on the strip. You might end up with something very similar to what you already have.

If possible, I'd consider waiting until you paint everything else then look at the kitchen area again. I'm one that wants everything done now, now, now but sometimes it would've been better to wait. I wanted to get my foyer/hall painted so bad and rushed picking a color. Over a year later and it never grew on me. I'm considering repainting which equals more $.

How do you guys feel about the creams now? How does it look at night? How do those colors look beside the Flowering Herb?

Keep us posted!

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sheesharee - thanks for talking this out with me. My husband is sick of listening to me and I don't really have any friends that will bounce it around with me (well I tried talking to a couple of them and they just don't get why it bugs me not to know/feel what's right.)

Good point on the double painting. I have more days to look at this and decide how I feel because the drywall guy won't be done with all the repairs until next week. It's a while before I can think about painting the cabinets. There's nothing wrong with them now and there are so dang many of them that it would be costly to have them painted (and I am physically not able to do it myself.) I'd rather spend the money on the counter and/or the floor before the cabinets.

Anyway - it was funny to come back in here and see your not asking about it at night because I had just gone into the kitchen to look at it again and I like it.

I'm not sure if the Simply Irresistible has green in it or not. The strip looks like it moves toward brown but I don't know what's in the mix. And yes, where the wall meets the cabinet in that last shot it does look like a match for the cabinets in the morning light. I've gone back and forth, wondering if that's bad or good. :) The wall the has the picture of the dog is big and so far has just that one picture on the table but I have a lot more blue and white plates which I could add to the wall. And they look yummy against the cream.

I think Simply Irresistible looks nice up against Flowering Herb. There won't be a long line of them right next to each other. There's about a 4 inch strip from over the fridge is about the only part that will go directly against Flowering Herb.

• loribee
    13 years ago

"I love Flowering Herb with the painting and in the living room/dining room area but I don't think it has enough color in the kitchen."

I just read this....and wonder why you ruled out the deeper Baby Turtle for the kitchen??
    If you used that, the colors would flow really well.
    If you did rule Baby Turtle out, I like Simply Irresistible or Dried Parsley in your kitchen. :)

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

loribee - I'll have to take another look at it (after the drywall guy gets all his plastic down tonight) but I'm pretty sure we eliminated it because it was dark. However you make a good point that we should consider giving it another look. It's the brightest room in the house.

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

loribee I snuck into the kitchen with the Baby Turtle sample and I don't like it in there at all. Too dark in a room where I want it bright and cheery. I think the dark will look elegant (I hope) in the bathroom though.

Pretty sure I'm going with Simply Irresistible. I still like it this morning. Whew!

• loribee
    13 years ago

Thanks, Susan...I'm glad that you checked Baby Turtle again.
    I think Simply Irresistible will be cheerful and you can do so much with it~

• User
    13 years ago

Oh I hear ya. Nobody here "gets" me with this stuff either.

Like Lori said, Simply Irresistible will be cheerful yet still different from what you already have in there.
    I'm excited to see your spaces painted. Looking back again, it looks like the colors will flow nice.

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lori and Shee, thank you for the support. Really it helps to talk to a few people virtually about all of this.

Flowering Herbs in the living room and dining room, entry hall and up the stairs.
    Baby Turtle in the downstairs bath.
    Georgian Green in the upstairs bath and master bedroom.

Whew! I know the kitchen ceiling is going to be Baby's Breath because it matches the rim of the can lights. I'm not painting those rims because there's another rim inside the can that can't be painted.

But I'm still thinking on the other ceilings. Tempted to do Baby Turtle at 100% on the ceiling in that bath. Not sure about the other ceilings. 25% maybe? 50%? I want enough of a contrast for the crown moldings to pop.

• loribee
    13 years ago

"Tempted to do Baby Turtle at 100% on the ceiling in that bath"

Have you seen pix of something like this?? I'd do 25% maybe....

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lori, no, hahaha, haven't seen it done. I think I spent too much time reading the black ceiling post.

I need to go search for ceiling posts. Is 25% about the going thing?

• eventgal Averill
    13 years ago

about 6 years ago we were building a new house and I spent hours on this forum! I just joined again to look for paint suggestions for another home we now live in. I just had to tell you how much I enjoyed looking through your posts about color choices, it's just good to know that other people agonize over this like me!
    Two things that I'd like to ask:
    Can I have your Tole trays? Ha! We must be sisters!
    I have a collection and love them so very much. I really took them in to consideration when decorating.
    Back then the hot color was BM 1509 or 1510. It isn't made anymore, but in subsequent homes we had it custom mixed, and at our local Sherwin Williams it was called "Averill Green" as so many people came in and wanted it that had seen our house! They changed the base color, so SW wasn't able to duplicate it anymore, so we went to Menards and they could pull up the mix on their computer and could mix it up there! It's in my kitchen again!
    I had a horrible time finding the right color that wasn't too bright, too grey, etc. I can see a color in my minds eye and it drives me crazy if I can't find it.
    I'm gong through it right now with golds.
    If I can dig them up I'll try to post a few pictures

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

eventgal - I'm so sorry I missed this post from you earlier.

I do love my Tole trays. I got the idea to go after them from this forum! I need a couple more for some bare spots in the kitchen. I'd love to see some of your pics!

I think I'm done picking colors. Gosh I hope so. The painters I just hired are coming over this afternoon to go all the choices give us their plan for taking care of all this.