Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Calling Curtain Experts--Need Help Please

beekeeperswife
10 years ago

The custom drapery place is stumped. So of course, I come to you.

Here's the scene:

Bedroom window, with an eyebrow window above the rectangular window. Homeowner wants to use curtain panels with room darkening liner to control the light. So the curtain panels need to move without any difficulty. Oh, and no cords--there is a baby.

Room has crown moulding and beams.

Wants:
Rod to be mounted above the eyebrow window part of the window. (rectangular window with the 1/2 circle right on top of it).

Top of curtain to be at the bottom of the crown moulding.

When the curtains are closed, homeowner does not want to see the rod. (except for the ends w/ finials). So the trick is, how to get the curtains to be hung in front of the rod so that you don't see it when closed.

Rings are out.

Homeowner not in love with grommets.

I thought of placing the hooks lower on the pleat so the curtain would be held up higher. However the "experts" don't think that is really a solution.

Homeowner is not in favor of a cornice, of any kind.

I have meeting Wed am with the window treatment manager to try and figure this out, so any suggestions or photos would be greatly appreciated.

As always, thanks in advance.

Bee

Comments (23)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Perhaps I'm not understanding the problem here. In the old days, we always hung traverse rods so that the pleats covered the rod. We didn't even do finials so the entire rod would be concealed by the drapes, even the return.

I suppose you can do a similar drape but let the finials stay exposed.

As far as the cords, there are devices they use to keep them safer so children can't get hurt by them, but there are still cords to operate it...at least as far as I know.

Here is a link that might be useful: drape from JCP

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie, I think I had those in my last house, and I did insert the hook low enough to hide the rod. I'm wondering what type of rod is used in that picture, I'll have to go back and look a bit closer.

I am not sure why at a custom drapery place, they can't figure this out. I will be printing that JCP drape to show them a picture of it. I know it can be done, they just need to try harder!

Edited to add:

Oh wait--those are hung by the back tabs, even though they have the pleats. So basically they are just hanging on the pole by the tabs, and the pleats are just decoration, not holding a hook.

This post was edited by beekeeperswife on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 17:39

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'm not sure what they did in the example above, but in the old days, the traverse rods were fairly flat and only about 1" high. The drapery hooks were placed into the pleats, but low on the pleat so it would stand up, proud of the rod and hide it.

These are not decorative rods and when the drapes are open, you see a plain white flat rod.

I used to make the drapes myself using pleater tape, and there were 2 different kinds of hooks...those that were low so the pleat would cover the rod, or those that were high so the pleat would hang below a decorative rod.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Exactly! Only the non-decorative rods have this that I can find. And the homeowner doesn't want a cornice, she would like a decorative rod.

There is an answer out there....

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I saw somewhere, maybe here, someone used the clip rings placed a few inches down from the top which created a pleat and the rings did not show.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I suppose you could always paint the rod to try to make it more decorative.

Or you could leave the drapes shut at the top all the time to hide the rod and use tie backs or hooks to open and shut the drape...that way, no dangerous cords for children too.

• User
    10 years ago

Can you not do the same with a decorative traverse rod - mount the hooks on the top of the curtain low enough so the rod (and clips that the hook goes through) doesn't show? You would have to have a small diameter traverse rod and maybe adjust the hooks so the top of the curtain doesn't jut out.

Can't help with the cords.

Try A&F Rod Décor through Amazon to see some decorative traverse rods.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Would opaque sheers on a plain extension rod or even a tension rod inside the casing work? If it's an arch type window, I think it's a sin to cover such a nice architectural element~I have one in the DR and have left it undraped . I would hang the rod about 3/4 up on the window, allowing the arch to be visible, but keeping the majority of light out with the sheer panels, using several panels to make them extra full.

I've used this treatment on the 4 almost floor length winows in the dining area of the kitchen, with tension rods used on top/bottom inside the casing. My neighbor, who also has extra long windows, asked where I had the 'custom curtains' made~not!
    'custom' curtains~NOT!

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

There are decorative traverse rods, but they aren't cheap.

If the traverse rod is on a fixed pulley there is no loose cord.

The pully could be mounted high enough that it was out of reach.

Or you could do motorized remote control.

• sallymo2015
    10 years ago

Surely she has a photo of her idea. I don't think she'd want the regular traverse rod (white one), it just looks bad when the curtains are opened IMO. As pal said, you can use the dec traverse rods, still putting the pins low on the header so they stick out in front of the rod. You can also get them without a string pulley system, just use a wand (like a hotel), or pull the cord out and attach wands to the leading edge.
    The problem with having pleats in front of a rod: the spaces have to protrude forward, and not to the back (wall). This makes the stack-back thicker and doesn't look quite as neat and tidy as the buckram folding to the back (as when the panel hangs below the rod).
    The picture with the tabs on the back of the panel looks like what she is asking for.

• franksmom_2010
    10 years ago

I have pinch pleats on hooks, but the hook hangs by a clip ring. When drapes are open, there is a decorative "normal" rod, but when closed, the pinch pleats hang high enough that there is just a sliver of the rod and rings showing, and not that gap you normally see when drapes are hung on a ring. Does that make sense?

• newgardener_in_zone4
    10 years ago

I have a decorative traverse rod from Lowes for my daughter's room. I'd take a picture but she's sleeping.

I have the double rod with ruffle sheers at the rear, and the front panels are blackout curtains from Pottery Barn kids. I just clipped on the sheers but for the PBK panels, I removed the clips that came with the rod and used the pins which came with the curtains. This puts the front panels just about in line with the rods.

I really like them and they are really easy to open and close, even at a 96" height.

They have a few finishes and a single rod version as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Double traverse rod

• ratherbesewing
    10 years ago

A traversing rod is the best solution if you plan to open/close drapes on a daily basis. Both reverse tabs and rings need "adjusted" EVERY time you touch them. That's why most of us use blinds with panels. Also remember a traversing treatment requires a lot more fabric.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sallymo, you hit the problem right on the head. If I lower the hooks, and the rod is decorative (which they tend to be a bit fatter) the pleats will push forward. Wasn't bad in my last house when I did this because the rod was just a PB metal, somewhat thin rod. And yes, the picture of the treatment with the backtabs is the exact look. However, they need to be on a traverse rod of some sort.

In this case the rod cannot be that thin, it will look odd. There is a lot of wood in the room and the smaller rod would not feel balanced.

newgardener, do the pleats hang forward with that rod? I'm not sure I can convince anybody involved to use a rod from Lowe's for this project. Just sayin' ;-) But I will be swinging in there today to look anyway!

I hate saying this, but money is no object, so any specific examples would be appreciated, no matter what the cost. This is not for something in my home where I'm all about "making it work" on a budget. It needs to look great, no matter what. And it needs to block light completely.

Thanks for all the ideas.

• newgardener_in_zone4
    10 years ago

Darn, I see your message now and of course the baby is sleeping again.

I would say, no, the rod is not totally covered when the curtains are drawn. However probably only the top half or so shows. Yes, the pleats hang forward, I believe.

The rod is not upscale but I am very happy with it for the function aspect. I actually just bought the ORB version for my bedroom as I am tired of the hassle of our rod with rings. It is impossible to open and close them at the height.

Good luck. I will try to remember to take a photo tomorrow before DD goes to bed, if you are still interested.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did go to Lowe's to look at that rod, newgardener. It is pretty nice. It gave me the idea that by hanging the pins lower, therefore pushing the pleat up higher will work best with a flatter rod. This way the round rod won't be pushing it out forward so much.

I'll have to bring this up tomorrow.

dee, I love that picture.

• sallymo2015
    10 years ago

Bee, if she has to have them mounted so that the spaces are folded forwarded, maybe you could do a 2-fold pleat rather than a regular 3-fold pinch pleat to help with the bulk of the stack-back. It will be a bit thinner. Of course it all depends on the fabric used, etc. but we do use this style to save money because of the fullness, and it is a good look if you want a tailored look. We opt for this 2-prong pleat if the drapes are going to be open most of the time. For thinner fabrics it can look skimpy, so yo have to know what you are working with. It sounds simple but it surprising how much tighter the drapery can stack back with the pleat reduced to the 2-prong rather than the 3-prong.
    Oh, so many choices to make!!! I over think these things!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Is she fussy about the kind of pleats? Maybe if you made box pleats instead, they wouldn't stick out so far in front of the rod...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I've never looked up close at these wave drapes, but they hang them somehow so the rod doesn't show....

[Midcentury Hall[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/midcentury-modern-hallway-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_743~s_2115) by Boston Architects & Designers Stern McCafferty

Or is there a way to bring the rod all the way up to the ceiling and bury it in the crown molding or use a ceiling mounted rod?

[Modern Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2105) by San Francisco Interior Designers & Decorators Chloe Warner

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Only other thing I could think of would be to not use a rod but a cable and brackets so the "rod" would be almost invisible. It wouldn't traverse, but it might be operated with long rigid handles like they do in hotel rooms.... or motorized in some way. The rings that would ride the cable would be attached low enough on the pleat to cover it, the rings ride smoothly on the cable so it would be easy to operate and there'd be no cords.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

With sinuous fold, you Do see the track with curtains open and closed, unless the track is recessed in the ceiling. This decision has to be made, if not in the framing stage, at least the drywall stage.

Sinuous fold heading is the top edge of the fabric and the travelers are below the track. So Annie's photos from house are of either recessed track or of retouched photos to minimize the track.

Here is the reality in a white on white apartment I did for a client. The track bothered me, but not him.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the update. After an exhaustive search, we found a "decorative", relatively flat-ish, metal, dark colored, with bevel to add to the decorative-ness rod,that was a traverse. The pins could be lower on this rod, and still stand tall. The rod is actually designed to be used as the 2nd rod on a 2 rod set.

I explained to the customer that all her wishes were really not compatible and this was our best solution.

She gave that thought. Realized it was a request that wasn't necessary since the only time the curtains would be closed, would be at night, when it was just her and her dh in the room, and they would be sleeping.

Problem solved. We are doing a decorative rod, no rings, and have the curtain right below the rod.

Thank you all for all the ideas, it really helped me.

This post was edited by beekeeperswife on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 19:35