Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_mocha

Farrow & Ball White

lisa_mocha
14 years ago

I've been procratinating as can't decided on paint colours for the life of me lately!

I've decided to re-paint the guest room from pale blue to off-white so I can change the look with bedding etc.

I usually use BM paints, but have decided since it's a small room, I just might try out Farrow & Ball that everyone raves about.

Has anyone here used Pointing, White Tie or New White on the walls? I think I love the look of Pointing (on the chip), but not sure if it will look too white if done on walls. So..maybe I should be looking at White Tie (??)

Any guidance or pictures appreciated!

Tks!

Comments (7)

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

Have used all three colors but mainly on trim. Pointing is a basic bright white. Very clean and crisp color. White Tie is ivory (with a red base) and looks like cream. New White is one of my favorites. It's ivory with a goldish undertone. My ceilings are Pointing. New White was second choice for my study and I loved it on the wall. It's like the color of parchment. Suggest sample pots and paint swatches to see what works for you.

• mindstorm
    14 years ago

I've used Pointing for the trim in most of my house at this point in time. I'll disagree with rococogurl in her assessment that it is a "basic white" - although I think that to a lot of people who do use lots of colour, it is a basic white. F&B's "All White" is a proper basic white to me - Pointing is much more pigmented than that. I would call it a bright cream. That said, it is a cream with a red base. It is bright, however; I don't think I'd want that bright a white on the walls.

White Tie is deeper than that although, as roco properly says, it is an ivory - although in a yellow base.

If you go to the following link on the F&B home page, you can get some insight into the colours and their families. Page 29 gives you the bases that these colours belong to - White Tie and New White (which I haven't used) - are both yellow-based.

I like Ptg very much in most of the places I've used it for trim, so colour me a believer as I've happily lived with it. I've seen New White and White Tie at Rococogurl's and they are gorgeous ivories for an off-white.

To me, I think they'd be a happier colour to use in a room if you're looking for an off-white because you want to knock down some of the brightness of pure white AND you want a warm colour. On the other hand, if you are looking for a warm white that keeps the brightness of a pure white, then Pointing's your man.

That said, if you're looking for an off-white and are coming off a cool blue, let me just give a plug to "Strong White" - which is a cool, greyish off-white that I've recently painted much of the living areas of my house. It is less bright than Pointing, very easy on the eyes and is in my house a very interesting shade. It is a cool grey though - unlike the warm colours that you've asked about so you may not be leaning in that direction at all.

Good luck! F&B has wonderous colours.

• thingsthatinspire
    14 years ago

Hi - I painted my dining room and kitchen in F&B 'clunch'. It is a richer color than white, more of an ivory. It looks quite different in my kitchen, which gets some east light but mainly north light, and my dining room, which gets south light, mainly indirect. I have pale almond (BM) in some of my adjoining rooms, and clunch definitely works well with this - it is lighter, but it must have yellow in it as pale almond translates as quite yellowish at times.

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was hoping to get to F & B today for sample pots, but ran out of time. Next weekend! (now F & B can join the 20++ testers of off-white BM colours...lol. My husband thinks I've lost my mind and can't understand the stuggle in choosing a white paint.
    I definitely want to try F & B though for this room and am sure one of the shades mentioned above will work!

• Linda B
    7 years ago

I've used both Pointing and White Tie. Love them both. Also used Ringwold Ground on ceiling and window moldings and doors in a room that's painted a very deep dried blood red (DKC). Didn't want it to look like Valentin's Day by using a lighter white. Ringwold Ground is beautiful and looks perfect against the deep red.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

I've used all of those,Pointing is my favorite. In my primary home every room is some shade of fnb white. Much like grays, they can vary substantially in different rooms with different light, flooring etc. Def try them on your walls. Plus the sample pots are so cute.

to me Ringwold is very peachy ... Had it in my MBr in the last house...not in the off white family IMHO