Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1401217

Colors for Walls & Trim - Please Help Sort Out Whites

User
9 years ago

Currently my open plan main floor is painted in SW Dover White - flat on walls, semi gloss on all trim. I am getting new cabinets in Plain & Fancy's Buttercream painted finish. Countertops will be New Golden Beach granite - a creamy sage. My counter stools will have dark walnut{{gwi:807}} frames and woven cream and sage seats.

The adjacent (but separate) DR is in BM Philadelphia Cream{{gwi:807}}. It doesn't get the sun the other rooms do, so it reads more cream than yellow.

Can you recommend a neutral or off white wall color that will work{{gwi:807}} with the cream and sage tones that will harmonize with the Buttercream cabinets, so neither the walls nor cabs looks dingy? And a white that will pop my windows & trim?

The floors are golden oak throughout.

Edited to add that P & F Buttercream is a proprietary color, but to my eye it is very close to BM White Dove.

This post was edited by amck on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 17:16

Comments (6)

• User
    9 years ago

BM White Dove. Definitely.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, I was editing my post & fielding a call, so hadn't seen your reply when I updated. Since White Dove is almost a match to the cabinets, I question if I should use it for all the walls, as well. One wall will have 3/4 wainscoting painted in same finish as the cabs. I planned to hang art on the wall above it.

Should I consider getting a lighter mix of the White Dove, or go with a shade that offers more contrast?

• User
    9 years ago

Oh, I'm sorry. I must have misread your post. I thought you were looking for a color for trim. Indeed, I did misread it!

This is for your kitchen walls, right? Do you have any pics? If you have very little wall area, I'd go with a bold color, like chocolate brown. It's actually very neutral, but it would really make your cabs and granite look gorgeous.

• User
    9 years ago

Do you have any pics?

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Only have pics of my current kitchen and the configuration will be different in the remodel. My new cabinets will go to the ceiling & a small window will be replaced w/ a 6' bank of windows, so there won't be much painted wall space in the kitchen, save for the area over the wainscot on one wall.

The issue is the kitchen flows right into a small sunroom/keeping area which flows into the LR. There is nowhere to break from one wall color to another, which is why I can't choose a bold color for the kitchen. Too bad, because I like your choc. brown suggestion. Especially since the kitchen will be even more light-filled w/ the new window, I could risk going darker in there. It would also add warmth in the winter.

So, I need a color that will work throughout. I haven't disliked living w/ Dover White, but I do want some distinction between the walls & trim this time. And Dover White isn't an option as it is not at all complementary to the Buttercream door sample I have.

Those cabinets are going to make up a lot of my main floor real estate which is why I'm agonizing over whether to go off white or do the walls in a light neutral. I'm going to have to live with and decorate around that paint choice for a long time.

• Fluffeebiskits1
    9 years ago

SW Bamboo Shoot, Netsuke, Studio Blue Green, Downing Straw, Softer Tan, Whole Wheat, or Sand Beach or PPG Moth Gray, Moroccan Sand, Sand Fossil, Spiced Vinegar, or Craftsman Gold based on pics of the granite you named (assuming colors are accurate). Is the sun room the same color as the kitchen now? I'd probably lean towards a neutral so that it won't look like you tried and failed to match the off-white tones.

For trim SW Cotton, BM Cloud White (don't know why White Dove gets all the credit since Cloud White is the PERFECT warm trim color to me), and dare I suggest Behr Polar Bear ( great trim color btw). If you could post a pic of the granite sample or a sample cabinet door that would really help. Also, do you have any fabrics or patterns that you want to incorporate?