Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen progress

Posted by SunnyCottage (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 16:45

Just wanted to share my latest kitchen/breakfast room photos for those who were so helpful to me in my decision to take all of the cabinets and trim in this space from cranberry red to creamy white. I've got one window and a bit more trim to go, and then I'm finished. Well ... sort of. I didn't paint the insides of the cabinets, but figured I could do that when I have absolutely nothing else in this world to focus on (or when hell freezes over).

I really love the new look and feel of this old space. :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen progress

And one more.

o

I think it looks great! I also liked the red, but this makes it look so much more open and bright :)

o

Love, love love. It is so fresh and pretty! Thanks for the new pics. I love the pet dishes lined up under the sideboard!

o

Thank you! Oh, those pet dishes ... The space looks so much better without them there, but I couldn't do without my four-footed babies! Only after I took the photo, of course, did I notice that "someone" had dropped kibble into the water dish. They just LOVE to redecorate on their own terms!

o

LOVE the fresh changes!!! Really looks like an old English cottage! :)

The new color is just so right for the latest heatwave ..... and yes -- of course I do love all of the cat dishes too! :)

JUST cleaned out the water dishes hereabouts too -- kibble does seem to get everywhere ..... LOL! :)

o

That looks smashing!

o

BEAUTIFUL transformation! The white is so bright and really makes the whole space look more open.

o

It looks wonderful, and yes, very English cottage. I love your sideboard and the shelf over the picture, and the colors are just perfect.

o

It's just so charming, SunnyCottage! Thank you for sharing. You have a knack for hanging art, which I do not, so that it's cohesive, interesting, and welcoming.

o

I just love your kitchen. I love old-fashioned kitchens.

o

I love your white transformation. Still keeps the cottage charm but much more soothing on the eye.

I really like your buffalo check valances. Simple, but the black gives a nice punch without too much and I like how it brings out the other black accents in the room.

I love cream/black/green combos. You did a great job. Love everything!!

o

So lovely, what of my favorite transformations ever !!!

o

The white, the green, the rug, love it all.

o

I love it! I am so glad you posted a follow up!

o

Sunny, as the owner of a mother/son tag team of canine idiots, those dishes made me smile. A house is not a home without our furry family members! BTW, I should have mentioned how much I love your floor. It is spectacular. I don't think I noticed it when you had all the red in there.

Yours is a kitchen for having tea with friends, reading the paper, arranging cut blooms from the garden to sit on the table...it just makes me smile.

o

Cohesive, charming, and cozy. Perfect!

o

Beautiful!! It's all just so..... inviting and homey and real. Love it love it love it.

o

Sunny, I love your kitchen and eating area. If I could point to a GW kitchen and have the same in my house, it would be yours. It's adorable and warm. I love the checkered valance. Where did you get it? I would love one for the window over my sink.

o

I love, love, love everything about it- including the pet bowls!

o

Oh, so pretty, like springtime :)

o

So glad you returned to show us your accomplishments. The kitchen is fresh, calm and soft. Makes me want to roll out pie dough or knead bread (haven't done either for years), simply to spend more time there. Have a relaxing (after all your hard work) breakfast tomorrow morning knowing we would all love to join you and admire your beautiful kitchen.

o

Such a warm, friendly, homey kitchen. I'd really like to see pics of the furry babies.

o

Really lovely, Jen! That,green is one of my own favorites, and paired with white trim it gives your kitchen a very fresh new look that will serve you for many years--- especially because it has a vintage feel to begin with, IMO that is the best combination, something authentic that still feels fresh, and you have achieved it all on your own! Fantastic results!

o

I love what you have done! The black and white check with the green is brilliant. It is such an inviting space--I'd love to sit at your table with a cup of tea! Great, great job!

o

Great transformation! Love it.

o

I love it! Warm and charming - just the kind of kitchen that makes me want to step in and sit down! I think the lighter cabinets make the tile floor look even more wonderful. Congrats!

o

I also liked the red, but this looks so much brighter and lighter and makes some of the features shine that were overshadowed before (floor, edge on counters, art, accessories). It's just lovely!

o

Oh sunny_c... I'm so in love with your kitchen. There are many of my favorite design elements in it: the fabulous tile counter, the old fashioned cabinetry and trim, the plank siding, the saltillo floor. I liked it before when it was quirky charming, but now it is charming with a kind of off-hand elegance. Nosoccermom nailed it when she said the creamy cabinets let the other features shine. Wishing you many happy times in your wonderful kitchen.

o

Thanks so much for the update pics SC, you've done such a good thing here, lovely rooms, and your blue and white dishes look just perfect up there. :)

o

Such a cozy welcoming and beautiful place. I absolutely love the green bread box.
I completely understand the pet dishes!
Good job!

o

That is my idea of a perfect kitchen. Really love the valance, it's just right! Everything looks amazing. Awesome job! You should be so proud of all your hard work, it really paid off!

o

I have not been here in a long time, but I remember your red kitchen and I remember you thinking about painting it but were daunted by all the work (I hope I have that right!?). Well, it looks fantastic! You did a wonderful job. Just beautiful.

o

Gorgeous, homey, genuine. I love the pale green with the b/w. And I really love the floor, which you don't see much anymore but is so classic.

o

I'm so overwhelmed by your wonderfully kind comments that I actually teared up a bit! Thank you all so very much for your sweet words -- you truly did my heart good.

I plan to finish up over Labor Day weekend but of course really enjoy being in this space even though it's not quite finished!

My father helped us to lay the Saltillo tile floor a number of years ago and I too think it stands out much nicer with the new paint colors.

I found the checked valances on Amazon and at first I wasn't quite sure about them, but they've really grown on me.

Thank you again for being so kind. I'd have you all over for tea if I could!

o

Love it Jen!

o

I love it too! It looks so bright and welcoming. I really like colors and the fact that the kitchen opens up so widely to the dr. I also like the tile countertop! And of course the cabinet color, hutch and all the windows. Really nice space! If this were my house, it would make me smile every time I walked into it.

o

Sunny, how special that your father helped you lay the tile. My DH and I spent the early years of our marriage in Phoenix. We were building a new home, and I fell in love with the Saltillo tiles of the old mission-style homes in Scottsdale, Old Tucson, etc. When I mentioned it to our builder's designer, she looked at me like I had 3 heads. They didn't offer it, and I was always disappointed I didn't source it myself. Yours is really beautiful, and memorable, to boot!

o

Love the transformation. It looks so fresh and charming! And I was going to say the same about the floor. It really shines on it's own now and is gorgeous. Love the touches of black, your beautiful sideboard, and how you've incorporated the pottery and dishes around.

o

Love what you've done. So fresh and charming. I was going to say the same about the floors. They now shine on their own and are gorgeous. Also love the touches of black, your beautiful sideboard, and how you've displayed your pottery and dishes.

o

Well that is just lovely! I've really enjoyed all of the makeovers that you've been doing.

The red always felt a little too much for me, but this new palette is just gorgeous! The kitchen just looks calm, fresh, and welcoming. That's exactly the kind of vintage kitchen that I pine for. Well done!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here