Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitch4me1

Small kitchen window...Inside or outside mount?

Kitch4me
9 years ago

Hi,
I'm trying to decide on inside or outside mount roman shade.
It's a small kitchen window 36x40.
Normally I prefer inside, but maybe mounted outside and higher would make it look larger?
I don't want it to look squeezed in.
Wwyd?
Thanks!

Comments (13)

• Kitch4me
    Original Author

Bac717
    Thanks! Kitchen was finished in June ...now on to the finishing touches!

Shadylady...thanks, this is the only window, so I'm thinking I will prefer to keep as much light as possible.

Thanks again!

• Kitch4me
    Original Author

Bac717

Shadylady...thanks, this is the only window, so I'm thinking I will prefer to keep as much light as possible.

Thanks again!

• Kitch4me
    Original Author

Bac717

Thanks again!

• Kitch4me
    Original Author

Bac717

Thanks again!

This post was edited by kitch4me on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 19:20

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'd do outside mount and mount it up high near the crown molding, and run it the width of the space between the cabinets so it fills the space and acts like a valance when drawn up.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I have inside mount bamboo shades because IMO, inside seems to look neater. If there's space, why not take advantage of it? Just seems right to me.

• osagecounty
    9 years ago

I prefer inside mounts, especially if the window frame is attractive. If your window were taller I'd recommend it, but I think Annie may be on to something. A stacked shade is going to take up a foot or so of space and that might make your window look even smaller. Since you don't have any crown above the window the expanse of space above the window tends to stand out. I would keep the width of the shade just big enough to cover the frame ... not take it all the way to the cabinets.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Ditto what AnnieDeighnaugh suggested.

• bac717
    9 years ago

I think it should be outside mounted and higher, so that when it's fully drawn up it just covers the top window frame. What a beautiful kitchen!

• shadylady2u
    9 years ago

I prefer inside mount, but depends on how much light you want. If that's your only window in the kitchen, outside mount would allow you to raise it higher and let more light in.
    If you do outside mount, I would only make it 1/2" wider on each side so it hugs the window. Anything wider looks like the window is wearing a top hat.

• Kitch4me
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Annie!
    I was leaning that direction, I just didn't want it to appear squeezed in.

Patty...I usually prefer inside mount for the same reasons.

Osage...I think you are right, the window would actually wind up looking smaller!

Fun...thanks for weighing in!

• osagecounty
    9 years ago

If you decide to hang it above the window make sure the shade is either tightly woven or lined, otherwise you'll see the wall behind the shade.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Yep, yup high so as not to block any of the window when open :)