Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itltrot_gw

Guest Room...almost done. Maybe? Lots of Pics

itltrot
12 years ago

I've been slowly working on this room. For the most part, I feel it's done. I'm happy with the furnishings, the bedding and the curtains. I need to change out the curtain rods as they look a little skimpy. I'd like to add a few more accessories like a PB pocket watch clock and luggage rack. Maybe a slip cover for the chair at the desk.

The one thing I am certain needs changed is the paint color. This color was picked to match bedding but that was two sets ago. I'm a little stumped on what color to go to. The bedding has a great variety but the room doesn't get a lot of natural light and I don't want something shockingly bright.

Our carpet is "tapioca" colored and trim is SW Dover White (that needs freshened up). The current color is Valspars Wood Thrush. And doesn't photograph well.

I'd love suggestions. Oh and would the sunburst mirror look better over the chair?

Comments (31)

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

What a lovely guest room! I think the rods look just fine. The colors are so warm and welcoming. I'm thinking a warm beige would be very nice in here. Sorry I don't know color names.

• mclarke
    12 years ago

Ooooh, magazine-pretty!

I kinda like the paint color. It anchors all your other color choices.

Would the beige chair fit diagonally in the corner where the dried flowers now are?

• avesmor
    12 years ago

To go brighter, I'd pull a yellow from the bed or the pillow. My DD's rooms are a BM match to a (I think) retired color from Behr called Tea Cookie. It's a nice, calm yellow that's not overtly yellow, but not dingy enough to be brown. Something like that could work with your curtains, bedding and black furniture - but not make the chairs look out of place.

This isn't my house, I'm borrowing a pic from the internet, but this is Tea Cookie:

I would move the nightstand chest away from the bed a bit. In the pics it looks like it's butting up against the mattress.

Also if it were me I'd keep the sun over the nightstand chest, but not hanging past the edge. I'd move it (either the sun, or the chest since I would move the chest anyway) so that it was a few inches in from the right edge, but not centered.

I would also move the painting that's across from the bed, to over the chair. But that's just a very personal preference - I don't like "un-grounded" wall pieces.

(Umm, I just assumed you were asking for general suggestions -- if you meant specific to paint color... oops & sorry)

• itltrot
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the kind words.

mclarke, The chair is a lot bigger than it looks and won't fit in the little corner next to the nightstand. I wasn't sure about the basket and flowers but they were something I found at my dad's house when I cleaned it out after he passed. A lot of the items in this room are his so I've tried to work them in.

avesmore, I thought about yellow but my other spare bedroom/exercise room is currently a yellow and wasn't sure about having two yellow rooms. The bedding yellow is more mustard colored.

I just finished building the sun this last weekend and hung it on an existing hook, so I wasn't sure it was perfectly placed. I think the art might be to wide above the chair next to the curtain? That's why I was thinking of maybe moving the mirror there. I have another painting that was above the nightstand.

I had hoped/planned to put the luggage rack or a junky old chest another find from dad's house under the picture across from the bed. But I totally agree about it being ungrounded.

I appreciate any suggestions. General or other. LOL

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

The curtain rods look fine to me but I've wondered myself about the size of the decorative poles in relation to the type of drapery. I think that as long as the pole seems fitted to the weight of the curtains, it's the right size.

I like the celery green stripe on the bedding for a wall color. It's the wide green stripe, best seen in your last picture.

I like the vignette you have created with the mirror, the lamp and the basket. Love the mirror, what is it made from? I suppose the table could come away from the bed a few inches, but I like to be able to reach my table when I'm in bed, so I think it's a matter of what works best for you. I think the mirror makes a big impact on the view from the doorway.

The chair corner is not working. If you can possibly angle the chair directly into the corner, I think it would look much better. Then I think a swing arm wall lamp would be better than the floor lamp, for cosmetic reasons as well as utility. For a table, maybe you could put a very narrow little bench under the window.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

Your room looks very pretty. I think the rods are fine and the wall color, too. I might try the secretary where the armchair is, either on the window wall or the end wall (would it fit?) and then put the armchair in its place, maybe angled in the corner. I do like the secretary where it is but think the chair needs more room.

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

Love the room! DD has the same PB duvet on her bed. The paint color in her room is SW Blonde, which looks great with the bedding. We used some of the same green in the comforter (and your WTs) for the coverlet and two shams. I haven't done anything with the windows, but now that I see your window treatments, I know exactly what I am going to use!

You've done a great job on the guest room!

• itltrot
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good to hear the curtain rods don't look bad. That'd allow me to spend elsewhere!

Cindy, the wide stripe of green is the same color as the curtains. Looks a little washed out on the bedding due to my camera skills. The mirror is made out of shims. It was a pita that required DH assistance. But I love it! I was trying to use dad's funky lamp in the room but if it doesn't work it doesn't work.

Snapped a couple quick pictures with the lamp removed and the chair positioned differently. And one with a piece of art precariously positioned on the chair.

I was always hesitant to put art here because I thought the other side might look really empty.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

It looks amazing!!!

• aloha2009
    12 years ago

The room IMO looks great except for one thing. The wall with the little picture (that guests would look at when they are in the bed) seems so bare. I'm not good at decorating to give you suggestions but to me it's screaming for some attention.

• indygo
    12 years ago

It's a lovely room. I think you're going for bright and fresh, and the wall color is too dark and muted. It's like summer on the bed and autumn on the wall. I second the light celery color, or something like BM limesickle. Something much lighter than the curtains and stripe in the bed, but in the same family, almost a yellow-green tinged white. Or a creamy white?

• abundantblessings
    12 years ago

What a fun guest room! I wouldn't put the print above the chair as it clutters up the impact of the chair & pillow vignette. I also might leave the lamp behind the angled chair to its right rather than relocating beside the desk. It makes sense to have a reading light there, the shade is great and you need the height for balance.

Being able to incorporate your father's pieces is wonderful. I'm guessing the white side table is his as well. IMO it looks a little jammed in the last pix so I might play around with its position and see if the open legs toward the front is better.

Kudos for making your sun mirror! Did you also paint the driftwood? If you have a third similarly sized print I'd put the three across from the bed. Ungrounded art doesn't bother me if the subject and colors appeal, but I do like a series in a row or grid when the pieces aren't significant.

You have lots of options for paint, but the 'shroom color looks ok on my monitor since you have so many brights. I also wouldn't change the rod. I'd just do a few minor tweaks as noted to see if they work for you.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Try BM's Wales green down to 50% or the next lighter on the strip. It will freshen up the colors a little.

• erinsean
    12 years ago

Since I am not a "catty corner" person....could you put your chair flat against the wall (window wall) with the lamp and table beside it (they would be sort of in front of the drape). I think you could then put the picture above the chair or not....nothing wrong with here it is.

• ratherbesewing
    12 years ago

You made the sunburst mirror?? Please details :-)

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

The curtains match that light green stripe on the comforter? In that case, I would do the walls several shades lighter than what is on the curtains.

• sashasmommy
    12 years ago

LOVE the bedding, maybe a cream color on the walls, or the light celery like someone else suggested.

I would try moving the side table away from the bed a little and centering the mirror on it just to see what it looks like. No art by the chair, it's too big for that little space and competes with the curtains. I like the lamp behind the chair, but maybe it needs a more modern shade, or possibly some kind of torchiere lamp that takes up less visual space than the shade.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Love the bedding and the guest room except I feel it will look even better with lighter walls.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

i would also say either a pale yellow or a pale green paint...you would have to be sure you get the right shade of green tho!!

i like the chair much more angled in the corner...but i'm not sure about the little white table next to it...i would remove it. what are the chances your guests will be reading in the room with a drink???

i agree about moving the chest down a few inches- like the sunburst mirror over the chest, but would prefer it to be more over the chest-looks off balanced as is.

don't like the picture on the wall by chair- too large for that space, esp with the pillow below it.
    the other chair option might be to move it (angled) to the corner where the secretary is and move the secretary to the spot where the chair is(on the long wall...don't know how much space you have there, but that might make the room look alittle less busy on the bed wall and will help your picture look less lost on the long wall...

the room looks lovely tho---love the color scheme!!!

• homeagain
    12 years ago

Another vote for a pale green. I think you should take a sample of the drapes to your local paint store and have them color match, then go several shades lighter on the paint strip.

Definitely center the sunburst over the chest. It's beautiful and I would love to know how you made it.

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

I'd pick out the orange sherbert tone from the comforter and go a shade or two lighter. Don't leave the ceiling white! Use that fresh green lightened up a bit for it. I'd also pull out the stronger mango orange and use it for a few accessories. It would be a fun color to go with the green you've already pulled out. The chair would be so mod done in that mango if you felt like recovering it.

The dried flowers need some height. Maybe move the stool/table you have by the reading chair and place them on it or find a funky pedestal or plant stand at a garage sale. I think the weight of the secretary is too heavy for it's current location. Perhaps swap it and the chair to add some weight to that large wall? The drapery hardware doesn't bother me, but the starkness of the white shades does. I think either replace them with something like a brown bamboo (same color in the comforter) or a red fabric. A light peachy sheer could work over the shades pulled all the way up, and then you'd still have them to pull down for light control.

• lizziebethtx
    12 years ago

I agree with indygo-girl. It's a lovely room but the walls need to be freshened-up with a happier color. You've done a great job! I really like the bedding too.

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

It sounds like you've already decided against yellow. You still have the light green or beige options. But if you want to be a little bolder, the light orange with tangerine accents sounds very interesting!

The tangerine suggestion made me look at some of the other colors in the comforter. Do I see a shade of pink in there? Either of those colors on the wall might work nicely.

I think the white shades look fine, but brown bamboo would look nice while adding some texture.

I'm not a decorator but I think the mirror vignette looks great as it. That said, it might look better with some of the suggestions in this thread, I guess you just have to move some stuff around and see what you like!

• itltrot
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! I just want to thank all of you for the wonderful positive feedback. It's nice being able to get genuine help and not be beat up for choices.

aloha, I was thinking of doing a long bench, luggage rack or chest across from the bed. I imagine eventually there will be a flat screen where the picture is currently.

I also have an old cedar chest or trunk that could possible work there and would add extra storage for blankets/pillows.

indygo, I'll check out BM limsickle on my color deck. I worry about the creamy white with the off white carpet. Will it be to washed out?

abudant, it's hard to get the lamp behind the chair without feeling like it's hanging over your head or pulling the chair out to far but I'll try again. The little stool was kinda jammed in the picture it was a quick set up. The sunburst is shims and painted with metallic glaze. I only have the 2 same sized pictures.

dianolo, I'll check out BM Wales too but toned down?

grandma, wouldn't it look awkward with the lamp shade in front of the curtains and block them? I thought it was better on the otherside to give it height?

rather, I did make the mirror. It is made from cedar shims, glue, HL mirror, glue and more glue. I found a tutorial online that I followed but found out the hard way several steps were missing.

cindy, the curtains and stripes are almost identical...at least to one of the green stripes. I think there might actually be 3 shades. I'll look again. Can a paint store match to paint to material?

busy, I hate to get rid of a table completely because I do occasionally use it when I sneak off to read in there. I'm not opposed to painting the stool if that helps. I will definitely try centering the mirror. I'm not sure about moving the secretary just because it kind of doubles as a night stand and gives some height to that corner. Can I get by without a second night stand?

green, there's not really an orange sherbert color, there is a mustardy yellow. I'm sure bamboo blinds would give great texture and be less stark but for now we are keeping with the white blinds as they are throughout the bedrooms. The bamboo blinds in my LR/ktichen don't offer enough privacy or darkness even with the privacy liner and privacy is an issue with this room.

cindy, I'm not completely against the yellow for paint color just looking at other options too. Yellow is always a favorite because it's so bright and cheery. There is indeed pink in the bedding but I'm afraid DH would not go for pink walls.

I will try to make some of the changes tonight. We've had to move some stuff around in there for the carpets to be cleaned and a section replaced due to water damage. Unfortunately the carpet guy wasn't able to do the patch yet. :'( I'll be sure and take pictures and post them for insight.

Again, thank you all for the feedback!

• chocolatebunny
    12 years ago

I think you've done a great job so far!

I like the table on the right side of the chair (in front of the window). I would definitely paint it a color similar to the secretary and the dresser (on my monitor they look similar in color).

Leave the secretary where it is and center the mirror over the dresser...or, switch the mirror with the painting. I don't like the painting to the left of the window behind the chair. The painting needs to be anchored where I think the mirror can stand alone.

I tend to like soothing colors in the bedroom so I think green would look nice. My mom paints all the time and she has had BM match paint to material.

Or, if you want to be a bit different, paint the wall behind the bed a dark beige/brown like the stripe in the duvet (but not as dark as the furniture) and the other 3 walls a creamy ivory. I think the green curtains would pop against the brown.

• jlo58104
    12 years ago

I love the room, especially the bedding. Where did you get the bedding if you don't mind my asking? The colors are fabulous.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jlo, thank you! The duvet is Pottery Barn Duncan and the coverlet is from Walmart.

• ideamom
    12 years ago

Looks great! The only thing I would change is the bedside lamp. It looks good, but it is too small. Not the right scale. Get a larger lamp for the bedside area and move the little lamp to maybe the desk.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree the lamp is to small for the nightstand. I haven't found a look or style I love. I am horrible at picking lamps. I'm open to suggestions. Glass? Wood? Metal?

I have been picking up paint chips trying to find a color for the walls. I think I've narrowed it down to 2 greens and 2 mustard colors. I need to pick up some sample pots and see which one looks best with the room.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

I'm partial to bedrooms being relaxing, so I vote for the light green on the walls.

The white table needs to go - maybe a small iron table of about the same size instead.

I would do more of a pharmacy lamp by the chair, & swing arm or pendant lights on both sides of the bed.

Nice job!!!

~Jeana

Here is a link that might be useful: Swing Arm Lamp

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

Honest injun??? I'm not crazy about the silver on the mirror, but I realize it's because the knobs on the nightstand are silver. My DD has similar nightstands/w silver, and used matching gold detailed lamps, and they look fine, bigger lamps, also. It *would* be ok to paint the sunburst to match any lamps you might get. Just my 2 cents. ;o)