Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avesmor_gw

Placement of curtain rod with craftsman trim...

avesmor
13 years ago

We will have (closing 9/3) windows with craftsman trim, similar to what's pictured

(these are not our windows):

How high up would you place a curtain rod? My first thought is to place it about 2/3 of the way up on the "straight" piece between the top and bottom trim, so that with the curtains closed the top 1/3 of trim is still visible. DH thinks it should clear all trim, so that with curtains closed the trim is concealed.

? Thanks!

Comments (12)

• xantippe
    13 years ago

From a period-authentic point of view, rods were mounted on the window frame itself, so that the top of the frame was visible. This can be a very nice, period look when done correctly.

That being said, we mounted our rods higher than the window (on the wall above) in our 1920's house, and are very happy we did so. It makes the windows seem gracious and big, and definitely enlarges the room.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

I have done both, depending on the room and the function of the WTs. In the LR, where I only need to block the sun in the afternoon, I have linen sheers hung with the rod on the header (or whatever its called). In the bedroom, where I needed room-darkening WTs, I wanted the panels to extend beyond and above the casing for maximum light blockage. Those rods are set a few inches below the ceiling and extend past the edge of the trim. I also have tension rods inside a set of windows in the upstairs hall. It's a temporary fix that will probably still be there when we move....which will hopefully be a long time from now.

• elsa42
    13 years ago

As high and wide as you can, definitely not on the trim itself.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Here's what NOT to do, in my opinion.... One of the houses on my street has the same trim. It is the "model" home and the stager hung the rods across the front of the header, but beyond the casing on either side. I think it looks pretty bad.

• daisychain01
    13 years ago

I like rods mounted high, but due to other trim we had to mount right on the top trim. It doesn't look bad (IMO).

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

I didnt know those are called craftsman window trim? My house is a colonial revival built in 1923 and all of the trim is like that-( we are 3rd owner)
    I thought craftsman was the heavy wooden unpainted trim like in daisys photo. The trim in my house had been painted when the house was built- the wood was a paint grade wood- poplar- we have stripped and repainted all of it.
    In any case- the rods have always been on the trim- never above in the plaster. I also have tension rods in some windows so that all of the trim shows.
    I am trying to decide now whether or not to hang rods higher and trendier and will be interested in seeing how yours turn out!

• powermuffin
    13 years ago

Well, since I stripped all my wood trim and was disgusted at all the nail/screw holes in it, I would never mount hardware on my trim! Plaster is much easier to repair. Given the choices that you have, go for the higher placed drapes. They look so nice!
    Diane

• bungalow_house
    13 years ago

I have yet to hang any drapes for this very reason. I can only bring myself to put up inside-mount cafe rods and inside-mount shades. :)

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

The problem in the last two photos you showed us is that the curtains are too skimpy, and neither rod is hung so that it does anything for the composition that includes the window.

The curtain panels ought to be generous enough to give the appearance that they could be pulled all the way across, even if they are stationary. It's the same idea as the proportions of outside shutters to the windows they're on.
    The staged house screams "stock panels, hung where we ran out of length..."

In both those cases, I would have hung the rod immediately below the crown molding, so that the curtains go all the way up, eliminating the chunk of wall between the rods and the ceiling...and 15 to 18 inches out beyond the window frame, so that the inside edges of the curtain panels just cover the outside of the window trim, instead of chopping a slice off the window sash itself. It simplifies and pulls together the composition, and makes the ceiling seem higher to take the panels all the way from crown to floor.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Yup, that's the ticket! That second photo is exactly what I was talking about.

• avesmor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes I think that's it. I knew I didn't like the rod cutting the trim, and the rod looks skimpy to me. But you're spot on about the width of the panels. I knew it was not enough (and will order double-widths for mine) but I just wasn't putting my finger on that as the reason things looked so awkward. Thanks!

I would not have thought to mount rods as high as possible. That will alter the length of drapes I need to order (we have 9 foot ceilings)... good thing I haven't ordered yet. :)