Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deltabreeze

Comparison of Behr (Home Depot) and Ellen Kennon paint

deltabreeze
14 years ago

I unexpectedly experimented with Behr (Home Depot) and Ellen Kennon paint and thought others might like to read about my experience.

My experiment began when I realized that covering my dark, vivid blue bedroom walls would require either (1) a tinted primer coat or (2) three coats of Ellen Kennon "Lichen" (green-blue-grey) paint. I went to Home Depot to buy a primer butÂon a larkÂasked them to match EKÂs Lichen color using BehrÂs best paint. I decided to use the Behr paint as a primer  and apply it to other parts of the room to compare the paints for color, coverage, smoothness, price, and overall effect. Here is what I found.

Color. The Behr paint color match was close, but inexact. The Behr paint was darker, bluer, and staid (as in more settled, less changing). Compared with the EK paint, the Behr paint appeared to be a mix of white, black, and blue-green paint. Looking at the EK paint on the wall, I could see other colors, including a light yellowish green and blue-grey.

Coverage. The Behr paint didnÂt need a primer; two coats of Behr paint could cover my dark walls. EKÂs paint needed (1) a primer and two coats OR (2) three coats. My sense is that EKÂs mix of color pigmentsÂwhile beautifulÂis not optimal for covering dark, vividly colored walls.

Smoothness. The Behr paint was very good, but the EK paint was smoother. I checked the smoothness by applying the two paints side by side and then rubbing a microfiber cloth over the dry wall. The area painted with Behr paint felt (and sounded rougher). The cloth glided over the area painted with EK paint.

Price. The Home Depot Behr paint was slightly less than $20 per gallon. The EK paint was about $52 per gallon. Notable.

Overall Effect. I am amazed how much more I like the EK paint. The EK paint has a luminous quality; it reminds me of pointillism artwork (where dots of many colors give an impression of an overall color). The EK color appears to change throughout the day, depending on the light. After experimenting for quite a while, I painted my bedroom and hallway with two coats of EK paint. Exhausted, I left the closet painted with Behr paint. Overall, my sense is that Behr paint is good, fast, and inexpensive. I am certain I will use Behr paint again sometime, but I am much more excited about EK colors and paint.

Comments (21)

• grlwprls
    14 years ago

We painted our formal spaces with Ellen Kennon's Buttercream on the walls and Gustavian Grey on the ceiling. Everywhere else, we "color matched" with SW best interior. No contest on the color. The "same" color in SW is almost clownish compared to the creaminess of the true Buttercream formula.

We used the leftover Gustavian Grey ceiling paint in our master bath and I have to say it is one of my favorite shades. But it reads much greener in that space than it does on the ceiling downstairs.

However, on my 100+ year old plaster walls, I was satisfied with the application and coverage of both paints. They were going over a rather blah white, though.

• User
    14 years ago

Wow, I'm surprised you found those results with Behr paint, it's not my intent to question your results, it's just we had to cover several dark rooms when we moved in and it was the pits. Took several coats and it kept streaking. It wasn't until we were almost done that we discovered that Sherwin Williams does a better job at coverage, no streaking and one coat with gray primer under it.

I've never seen Ellen Kennon's before, would like to give that paint a try.

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lukkiirish (did I get your name right?), My "experiment" had an admittedly small sample (what we say in my field "an N of 1" ). I remember, however, that Consumer's Reports also had a favorable impression of Behr (and that impression was based on a much larger sample). Overall, I liked Behr's coverage and it non drippiness. I though their color, however, was kind of flat.

• sue_ct
    14 years ago

Behr has several lines of paint and they don't all perform the same. The "good" line is the Behr Premium Plus Enamel. They had other lines without the "enamel" in the name, and they were not as good. Looking online, they are changing some paint names, so I would ask what the equivalent is, I suspect probably the one with "enamel" still in the name, which will now be called "ultra". But I would confirm that with HD. So it pays to make sure you are talking about the same paint when you have different experiences. There may also be some coverage and smoothness differences depending on the gloss level.

Sue

• covingtoncat
    14 years ago

Over the years I've used HD's Behr paints from their mid to top price offered. I just finished painting my living room with Ellen Kennon"s (lifemaster in flat). Beautiful colors and went on like a dream despite the knock down textured walls. I used Gustavian Grey on the ceiling and Tulip Leaves on the walls with an accent wall in Olive. I still have the trim and moulding to do (will be White Opal in semi gloss). I used two coats plus touch ups on the lighter colors and three on the Olive. Color went over an existing antique white.

I really enjoyed using these paints. Loved the low/no odor. Highly recommend it. I am excited about putting the furniture back in place so I can enjoy this room once again. The colors of the room change with the time of day and amount of natural/artificial light. Personally I am thrilled with this paint. I plan to use it throughout my home as I update various rooms.

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I should have added that I am already planning to paint another room (my kitchen) with my left over EK Lichen paint -- and am looking at EK's buttercream for my LR/DR. I am really impressed with the paint colors.

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

convingtoncat -- have you posted a pic of the room you painted with EK colors yet? It sounds beautiful. Gustavian Grey, Tulip Leaves, Olive . . .

• covingtoncat
    14 years ago

No photos yet (living in the techno dark ages). I can try and get one up later today (need my dd's help first). But I have only work lights in there and the furniture is in the middle of the room under tarps. I also need to do the trim, but am negotiating with DH to bump up trim and crown while everything is torn up.

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yup this is the best time to put on trim and crown. Somehow, when the furniture gets moved back everything seems overwhelming. I look forward to seeing your room. Sounds beautiful!

• jockewing
    14 years ago

Can you post a pic of Lichen? I've been interested in that color and got a sample, but would love to see a large pic of it.

• User
    14 years ago

Yes, you got my name right, thank you Deltabreeze. Can I ask where you bought the Ellen Kennon paints from? I've never heard of the brand and have 1 or 2 more rooms to go, our 2nd bathroom and a redo on the kitchen (if we can stomach more painting!). Love to try new things so thought I'd check them out. Thanks, Lukki

• parma42
    14 years ago

Lukkiirish, if you do a search for Ellen Kennon on the paint forum, you'll get plenty of info.

It's a favorite of funcolors and is a full spectrum paint.

• User
    14 years ago

Thanks Parma, I found two stores within 25 miles of our house that carry it. They do have some nice colors, don't they!

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jockewing, I was planning on taking some pics later today and requesting furniture arranging help. I will post a link here then.

• covingtoncat
    14 years ago

Lukki, order the swatch sample from Ellen's website. You won't be disappointed - you'll have a blast playing with all the colors. It is a must in my book because it is amazing how the colors change in different lighting and play off other colors (ie looks different on the furniture than it does on the carpeting).

• jockewing
    14 years ago

Delta, still waiting w/ baited breath to see the sample! Would you say its more of a blue/green or a gray? Kind of looks like a more earthtone version of Silver Sage to me.

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jockewing,
    You can see the color in my post "Master bed redo: feedback on arrangement options". I would say it is GREEN-GRay- blue- with some suble yellow highlights.

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Or here it is.

• jockewing
    14 years ago

Very pretty. Thanks Delta. Might be a little too gray for me? Not sure.

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It does read gray in some lights. The color is pretty earthy green, with gray and blue. If you are looking for a clear color -- less gray -- EK's aqua might be a good choice.

• sis3
    14 years ago

jockewing I had posted these photos of my office on the other thread (about Gustavian Grey) where you had also appealed for photos of Lichen. The ceiling is EK's Pumice. The sky was dark and stormy at the time so the color appears less green as IRL. The color is actually a soft greyish green. Definitely green rather than grey IMO.