Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbb_gw

Bed Sheets

barbb
14 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I hope I'm in the right forum, if not please direct me.

I am looking for the "old fashion" no iron sheets. All I can seem to find are those Sateen ones, and I just don't like them. We have a B&B and remember a long time ago that we could get sheet sets that even though didn't say "no iron" they were really good enough where you didn't need to iron them. Just curious if anyone has sheets they love that are not that shiny Sateen stuff. No matter how they are advertised, they STILL wrinkle out of the dryer no matter how quickly I get to them.

Thanks so much for your help,

BarbB

Comments (45)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

You may want to look at these at the Vermont Country Store, link below. They have lots of 'old fashioned' merchandise, but you'd need to call them to ask if they wrinkle out of the dryer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vt Country Store

• barbb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, my3dogs, for your reply. I have contacted them, but since they don't have an #800 number I tried to "Live Contact" them instead, but no success. After waiting 20 minutes for someone to answer I just emailed them. Hope I hear back.

BarbB

• lindac
    14 years ago

I think you would like poly cotton sheets....good quality ones. I have some I have had for easily 25 years, they are Laura Ashley...getting a little thin but never pilled or wrinkled.
    Kohl's carrys a Martex Poly blend that is nice....the hems don't fold up!
    Linda C

• barbb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi linda,

That is so funny! As I said we have a B&B and I actually have been using the Laura Ashley sheets, and comforter sets. I have to replace them though, and you are so right, they do not wrinkle. I looked at the label and it said made by Burlington. Loved the set, but they no longer make the pattern.

I'll look at the ones from Kohl's also as long as they are NOT that Sateen stuff.

Thanks so much for your help.

BarbB

• bird_lover6
    14 years ago

I think LL Bean has some sheets that are supposed to "not wrinkle." I'm thinking of getting some for myself

• barbb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks bird_lover! I'll take a look at them also. I'm trying to keep the cost down since I'm going to have to buy a few sets for the business. Certainly worth checking out though.

BarbB

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

Look for a Percale weave rather than a Sateen weave.

• barbb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Terriks,

Yes, and that's what I thought also until I saw references to Percale, thought I was safe, called and lo and behold it also had the Sateen. I really thought I'd be safe if it said Percale. Now, granted, if I remember correctly, it may have said Percale cotton blend, which may have been the Sateen, but term not reported in the description.

BarbB

• mboston_gw
    14 years ago

I know what you mean! I recently bought a new coverlet and matching sheets at Kohls - it was the "Hotel" by Park Avenue brand. Still pretty expensive even on sale. Well, you want to talk about wrinkles, even using the wrinkle contol setting on my Bravos washer and dryer. I'm standing there yesterday ironing them and moaning and groaning! I also bought some from JC Penny's which are better but still not as good as the ones in the past.

As far as Percale - years ago I had a set from Springmaid and I loved the crisp cool feel of them. Since my beds are Temperpedic and adjustable, I have to have split queen fitted sheets and use Queen tops and pillowcases. I spend $80.00 for 2, just 2, having to order them from a special company so they would fit, and they wrinkle. Luckily since they fit, the wrinkles kinda pull out of them. I looked at the label on the newest set of them I just ordered and it said Percale - but they do wrinkle as well. When I asked the lady from the company why people still want these versus ones that don't wrinkle she said it was because of the softness of the material. Well, I want both! Seems like it shouldn't be hard to get that, does it?

• barbb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi mboston!

Boy are you singing my song! You know, I'm not quite that fussy about my sheets on my bed, but I really have to be careful about what I put on the cottage beds. I really, really don't want to stand there and iron either. I know there's an answer out there somewhere, and I know that answer probably won't come cheap.

Think I'm going to try the Vermont store again. Tried last night on their live chat feature, but after 20 minutes of waiting for someone, gave up.

Thanks so much for your very informative input.

BarbB

• readerlearner
    14 years ago

The most wrinkle free sheets I own are a set from K-Mart years ago made by Martha Stewart. I don't know about the quality today, but it might be worth looking into. They are not 100% cotton. I think you need a blend anyway to avoid the cotton wrinkles.
    Otherwise JCPenny's has good quality. Or I have heard QVC has good quality.

• barbb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi readerlearner,

QVC is one I hadn't thought of, and that's a great idea since they usually have lots of reviews. Certainly worth checking.

Thanks so much,

BarbB

• kathleenca
    14 years ago

BarbB, I have "no-iron" sheets from both Sears & LL Bean, & am happy with both. Penney's has no-iron also.

• barbb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Kathleenca, No wrinkles and no shine? :-)

BarbB

• maremelb
    14 years ago

Pine Cone Hill have really nice sheets, just what you are looking for. I actually went to there outlet store to purchase items for my little cottage. That was years ago and everything really held up.

• barbb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks maremelb! Afraid I've never heard of that one. Hope there's a .com on the end of it, and if so, I'll take a look at what they have on line.

BarbB

• barbb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi maremelb,

Thought I'd give you a follow-up. I just went to their site, and it is really beautiful. High quality. I found a couple of pieces I was interested in, but when I tried to find a price there was none that I could see. Finally I saw a tab to click to see where you can purchase the line, but since I know there's no place close to us that sells them I thought I'd get their catalog. That's when I saw they charge $15.00 for each catalog! No thanks. Had fun window shopping though.

Thanks again,

BarbB

• maremelb
    14 years ago

BarbB, I see what you mean. I actually never ordered anything from their site. I've purchased a few things off ebay and classicchic.com always on a really good sale though. Their outlet prices could not be beat. Good luck with your bedding search and your B&B.

• jaybird
    14 years ago

We have retired all of our old sheets in favor of these. The solid color with the ruffle is very pretty! They are a percale weave, so they are smooth and crisp to the touch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Penneys

• barbb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Jaybird.

Thanks for the link. I just ordered two pair and we'll see how they are.

BarbB

• neesie
    14 years ago

I converted to flannel sheets about 15 years ago and NOT JUST FOR WINTER. They are cool and absorbant in the summer. They are soft and comfortable year round.

Time is too precious to waste ironing sheets!

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

Thanks jaybird. I will check them out. I've decided that 100% cotton is overrated. I like my sheets cool and crisp, not wrinkled. I was just looking up info on the beds at a Marriott that we stayed at last year that had the most comfortable bed, and found that all of their sheets are a cotton/poly blend.

• barbb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Terriks,

Guess there's no way to find out where Marriott gets their sheets? I would assume that they don't have a factory that makes them especially for them, and if that's the case maybe there's a brand name.

Agree with your "100% cotton is overrated" comment. but haven't been able to find the "no wrinkle", and NO sateen, so I'm going to try jaybird's suggestion of the JC Penny ones.

BarbB

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

I just bought these - in fact they came today, have just been washed and are drying as I type. I'll let you know how they are - I'm hoping for crisp and smooth but I'm not holding out a lot of hope - lots of sheets billed that way turn out to be far less than expected for me. And I gotta tell ya - pulling them wet from the washer they have a funky smell. If it's there when dry they are going back.

Here is a link that might be useful: Linen Source Sunny Day Sheets

• straitlover
    14 years ago

I second the ones that jaybird posted. I am alternating those w/ a set I got from Kohl's on my bed right now. The Kohl's ones are OK, but the Penney's ones are fab! I love percale sheets. I hate a really soft sheet. I need soem crispness in them.

Now I have a set of plain white cotton percale Martha Stewart sheets from KMart that are great, too. I used them for several years on my full bed before I got my new queen bed a couple of years ago. They are great, too. You can tell they'r enot brand new, but they still have no pilling on them. Hate pilling! I don't know if KMart still sells that particular kind anymore or not.

• natal
    14 years ago

I recently bought a set of Chris Madden sheets at Penney's. They're the sateen you don't like, but they are crisp and they didn't wrinkle much with that first washing. I kept the package just in case I wanted to return them. I was thrilled to find they matched my PB porcelain blue quilt.

For some reason I can't open the link above or access Penney's site with a direct search.

• mboston_gw
    14 years ago

The ones I have from Penny's are pictured in Jaybird's post. I have the ones with the lace band. They do wirnkle but not as much as the ones from Kohl's. They are very comfortable though.

• k9arlene
    14 years ago

In the August 2009 issue of Real Simple Magazine, they recommended sheet sets:

The winners were: Court of Versailles Palace Collection from Sam's Club; Living Home Luxury from BJ's Club Warehouse; Target Home from Target.

Runners-up were: Canopy Simply Solids from Walmart; Studio Wrinkle-Free Performance from JC Penney; Chris Madden Wrinkle-Free from JC Penny.

• nanjean68
    14 years ago

My favorite sheet is Ralph Lauren brand that I picked up at TJ Maxx. The label says Cotton Algodon. It's smooth, cool, dries like a dream, and most of all it was cheap.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

It looks like Marriott uses a cotton/poly blend:

A guest favorite featured in all Renaissance hotels, our Signature bed linens offer a 60/40 cotton/polyester fabrication beloved for its easy-care durability and soft, supple texture. Superior, 300-thread-count linen ensures an inviting sleep experience, night after night.

Here is a link that might be useful: ShopMarriott.com

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

I also have the sheets from Penney's that jaybird linked. I really like them, but the lace tends to fold over. I don't iron sheets. Ever. I barely iron clothes.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

It looks like the Marriott sheets have the same fiber content and thread count as the JCPenney sheets. However the price is much higher. I just bought a queen set of the Penney's sheets for $39.99 - less than the cost of just the flat or fitted Marriott sheets, which is $44.99. An entire set would have cost $118.97, and I have no doubt that the Marriott sheets are not three times better.

• bodiCA
    14 years ago

Have you tried bamboo sheets? They are fabulous luxury and eco-green.

• barbb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi bodica,

Oh dear--- I hope you're not kidding! No, have never heard of them.

BarbB

• raccoony
    14 years ago

Just a few facts I always pass along whenever I hear anyone talk about sheets:
    This advice was given to me by someone who worked in the bedding dept, for basically her entire adult life, at a high end dept. store.

She told me it helps when you have new sheets to iron them the first 4 or 5 times after laundering. She said it helps the fibers to be pressed; they don't get as much abuse when they're ironed flat, and it will help the tiny fibers to lay flat, and stay smooth. If the fibers don't lay smooth, they could eventually pill up due to the "damage" from rubbing against each other, in all different directions (vs. getting ironed smooth).

Understand; we're talking about fibers which make up the threads. Itty bitty teeny tiny. A few ironing sessions now makes them behave themselves and last much longer. According to her anyway.
    And I for one believe her; since I started using this advice my sheets have developed an extra soft patina.

Keep in mind this is ironing to prolong the fibers; wrinkling is a whole unrelated thing.

BTW I prefer 100% cotton, I'll trade wrinkles for softness, and I love 800 thread count minimum!

• snagd
    14 years ago

I was really loving my Chris Madden sheets from Jcpenneys until the fitted sheet startet to fray(sp?)in less then 6 months and totally ripped weeks later. Check out the reviews on the website,lots of similar problems...very frustrating because they feel great w/minimal wrinkling

• leahcate
    14 years ago

racooony, I have heard the same advice, and along with it came this: always wash the sheets in cool water, and low heat dry for at least the first 4-5 times. Again, it's to keep the fibers laying down nice an smooth. I haven't tried this since I've put off buying new sheets....so tough to find the perfect sheet:>/

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

****DANGER WILL ROBINSON - DANGER!!!***

I'm in trouble now. Last night we slept on the sheets I linked in my post above. The smell was gone when they were dry, they were crisp as advertized but webbed with tiny wrinkles and messy looking. Then I read racoony's post about ironing the first few times they are washed to 'train' the fibers to lie flat. OMG - I slept 7.5 hours straight through last night! Those sheets were heaven. No way do I want to be ironing every time I wash them but I'll tell ya, for that kind of sleep on a regular basis, I could probably find the time!

• minerva2
    11 years ago

gosh, I've often wished for the smooth, unwrinkled sheets I had years ago, didn't know so many felt like me. give me the old cotton-poly blends any day. Other gripes -sheets are way too big as they are now sized for the new much thicker mattresses which I don't have. Worst of all, I washed a new set of sheets from Macy's and the red color ran and ruined other wash in the same load!

• razamatazzy
    11 years ago

I recently purchased a set of 100% cotton sheets from bed, bath, and beyond, very happy with them. They are crisp but have some weight to them. Price was right also.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

The terms "percale" and "sateen" refers to the weave of the fabric. When I was a kid, the cotton sheets we had were all percale. The longer you used them, the more comfy they got. In recent years, everything you see in the stores is sateen for some reason. The are so un-crisp that they seem soggy and limp, even fresh from the laundry.
    Cotton percale has become difficult to find, probably because it does tend to be a bit stiff and wrinkled when new. I can live with the wrinkles as I am always too warm, and the crispness makes them feel cooler.
    I also bought some Martha Stewart sheets from KMart about 12 years ago that are fabulous, but they were for the twin beds in one of the guest rooms. I don't think they're available anymore, but there is no KMart in my area anyway.
    I'm going to check out the JCPenney sheets, or maybe try the VT Country store sheets. I get their catalog, and bought the floor scrubbing machine from them last year.

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

Here's a new link for the VT Country Store; the one above has been changed since '09. I had a look at their sheets and found a set of "anti-bed bug" sheets! I guess that could be handy...maybe.

Here is a link that might be useful: New VT Country Store link

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Lands End Home. They are 50/50. But, hey no wrinkles.

• divamom123
    10 years ago

I swear by Peach Skin Sheets....no shininess like sateen (whicjh means you won't slide all over the place), and they come out of the dryer wrinkle free....my bed looks perfect! They remind me of the percale sheets of the past, but are not cotton. They are also super soft and dry in like 15 minutes. I literally can have them washed, dried, and on my bed in 30 minutes flat. Hope that helps...I am a self-confessed sheet snob and am always searching for the latest and greatest. Anyone out there relate??? LOLOL

Here is a link that might be useful: PeachSkinSheets.com

• jackieblue
    10 years ago

I'm also one that will trade a few wrinkles for comfort. I've made a solemn vow that I will never sleep on anything other than 100% cotton, with nothing less than a 450 thread count. Lately I've purchased a few sets of the sateen from the Costco warehouse. They are crisp and oh so comfy. Not heavy at all. And at only $60 for a flat sheet, fitted sheet, and FOUR pillow cases, they are a deal for the quality. And I have not noticed them being wrinkly.

ETA: I have found that if you put cotton sheets on the bed fresh out of the dryer and pull them tight there isn't much wrinkling.

This post was edited by jackieblue on Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 23:47

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator