Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

X/post- recessed lights x mirror x sconce & aesthetically nice.

jterrilynn
9 years ago

This is a cross post due to slow traffic in the bathroom and other forums.

Hi all I could use your advice here. I have an alcove vanity area of roughly 78" long. There will be a 30" vanity on each end with a 24 x 36" mirror above each. The center area of run will have an 18" bank of drawers and a 12" d shallow countertop vertical storage with drawer going up in center of run, there will be roughly 3" on each side of mirrors. The vanities are 21" deep before tops. So I have ordered two of these sconces, one on each alcove wall for mirror lighting and plan on one or two recessed ceiling lights above each mirror. There will also be a center recessed light coming out further from wall in ceiling.

Sconce is a double 5"W 41/2" D 15" H. When mounted on alcove side wall it would protrude 1 1/2 inches into mirror.

Rough mockup not to scale but for visual lighting purpose.

QUESTIONS:
The room the vanity is in is 78 3/4" x 6'2" with an 8' ceiling. Yes I know the lighting is not ideal but do you think it okay? Should I go with two recessed lights above each mirror? Would one be enough? Also, I know little about recessed lighting, do some give off more lighting than others?
I want light but also do not want the area jumbled looking.

Assume you already bought the wall scones for alcove wall, what would you do?

Edited to add wall height.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 19:29

Comments (10)

• Olychick
    9 years ago

What is the total wattage of one of those fixtures? (They are very nice)!

This post was edited by olychick on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 16:55

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Olychick, each sconce uses two 60W max T10 incandescent or âÂÂequivalentâ bulbs.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

I think I know where Olychick is going with this.... the sconces are right at face level, and that's intruding kinda close to anyone's face. For heat, and also for flattery purposes, that's a bit close.

You say you already purchased the sconces. Have you already purchased the mirrors? I'm thinking that if you had narrower mirrors, you could place the sconces on the sides of the mirrors.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmm I wonder if it would be too hot if only 14â away from head or starting at 14â back from countertop. Or, if standing at cabinet center the light would be (roughly) 22â off face to side back. I have bought the mirrors already and the sconces after reading that others who were in the alcove lighting position did so to diffuse harsh overhead lighting. I didnâÂÂt read anything about it being too hot. Now I wonder!!! I guess if it was too hot and I went to 45w each it would still diffuse and spread light. We donâÂÂt really spend that much time in the mirror to ignite as I can put my makeup on in less than seven minutes and that includes plucking. Hmmm, what to doâ¦

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 19:04

• Olychick
    9 years ago

can these sconces be hung horizontally above each mirror?

I posted in Bathrooms a link to ideal vanity/bathroom lighting. I think you could get around the heat issue by using cfl or led, if the fixtures can use them.

I was actually wondering more about total wattage from the sconces and whether you need overhead recessed. I wouldn't think so with 2 double fixtures that can handle 120 watts, or 240 total. That's a lot.

This post was edited by olychick on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 20:52

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

My fixtures are different from yours, but our vanity set up is similar. We filled the space with mirror and mounted the fixtures centered above each sink through the mirror.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Grrr can't wait to be done with the lighting. I think what I'll do is first hang the sconces and determine "bulb" types and if its enough light before figuring out the over mirror ceiling lights. I will get the recessed center light, saw a cool recessed square on amazon. Have to think about that. On a good note...I'm in love with this light for over my tub.

Edited to add: I wonder if this would look stupid hung in a semi flush fashion?

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 9:01

• mclarke
    9 years ago

That's a real pretty light... and I'm sorry if this rains on your parade -- but don't forget there is a special safety code restriction for hanging lights over bathtubs. The National Electrical Code states:

410.4(D) Bathtub and Shower Areas. No parts of cord-connected luminaires (fixtures) ... shall be located within a zone measured ... 8 ft vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all-encompassing and includes the zone directly over the tub or shower stall.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I donâÂÂt think it would work anyway but I do love it! Back to the drawing board!